PDA

View Full Version : Some Perentie Questions

DeeJay
16th January 2014, 04:59 PM
OK, I've owned a couple of Isuzu's in the past & sold them as the family - lets say- was "underwhelmed". Actually, the kids loved them & so did I, so you do the maths:angel:
Anyway, now they are all happy with the Defender TD5, I want to take on a new project.
So I have some questions, having owned a series 2 ex Army waaay back.

Do the door tops remove?
How difficult is it to loosen the canvas at the windscreen and roll it back, so its like a sunroof, can this be done?
Can the sides be rolled up too?

Thanks,
David

isuzurover
16th January 2014, 05:14 PM
Do the door tops remove?

Yes - same as a series. In fact I have perentie door tops on my IIA. They are all aluminium, except for the M10 studs in the bottom which attach them to the door.

Blknight.aus
16th January 2014, 06:07 PM
two bolts from inside the door frame.

yes theres 4 clips on the underside of the windshield top frame unclip these and peel it out, remove the support straps if desired.

yes the sides roll up.

best way of travelling in dust is with both sides up and the back down.

spudboy
16th January 2014, 07:04 PM
Do the door tops remove?
Thanks,
David

Not always. My FFR 110 had bolts that just went around and around, and even with WD40, vice grips, cutting a slot in the end of the threads and trying to hold with a screwdriver: Nope.

I was expecting the threaded part to be fixed solidly to something on the inside, but no, so in the end I gave up :(

Blknight.aus
16th January 2014, 09:22 PM
Not always. My FFR 110 had bolts that just went around and around, and even with WD40, vice grips, cutting a slot in the end of the threads and trying to hold with a screwdriver: Nope.

I was expecting the threaded part to be fixed solidly to something on the inside, but no, so in the end I gave up :(

your door tops will fall off within about 20K Km of driving, less if you drive on corrigations.

spudboy
16th January 2014, 09:35 PM
How to solve this then?

isuzurover
16th January 2014, 11:57 PM
How to solve this then?

Your studs/bolts must have stripped the thread in the door top. You need to remove the door tops and helicoil the threads.

When I bought my door tops one was missing a stud (the thread was OK though). I used M10 booker rod to replace it.