PDA

View Full Version : Series III door top sealing

sandie
11th May 2004, 06:42 AM
Hi all

The restoration of Sandie approaches its crescendo! but, I have a problem: (yes, again!)

My lower hinge mounting screws are rusted solid so I can't adjust the heights of my doors. I can slightly adjust the angle by using the top hinge.

When I close the doors the door tops sort of "cam" outwards and open up a noticable gap between the top corner front edge of the door and the corner of the windscreen.

Anyone got any tips on how to fix. I mean, this is a major gap that you can put your finger through!

Any ideas appreciated
Richard

agrojnr
11th May 2004, 07:17 AM
Had the same problum with my series 3 and all i did was to pull the top of the frame and bend it in towards the frame it takes a couple of goes but will work

adam :twisted:

Phoenix
11th May 2004, 07:37 AM
Incisor pointed me t oa good one once.

You can get a rubber channel for fly screens that is about 5mm in diameter and is almost u shaped in section. It is for holding the edge of the fly wire.

If you take the door top off and run some along the outside edge. THen put the door top back on and it will (naturally) tilt inwards more.

incisor
11th May 2004, 08:02 AM
Hi

you dont need to take the door top off. just loosen it off enough to push the fly screen rubber in and then tighten it back up.

move the rubber further in to induce more lean.

i have mine right on the outside edge and it holds mine in just nice.

LandyAndy
11th May 2004, 08:01 PM
Hi Sandie
I agree with the others re the seals.
To get the "big" philips head screws undone firstly order some new ones plus the "captive nut" plates that they fix to.Try to get a "unsiezer" product onto the threads where possible and leave for a few days.
Here is a good tip use brake fluid(try not to get it on the duco!!!!!) as an a release agent,much better than any spray product!!!!!
After a few days when the new screws turn up use a nail punch and hammer to "unscrew" the nuts,if the first blow dosnt free the screw,the second usually will.
Goodluck
Andrew

sandie
12th May 2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. I think I have a metal fatigue problem in that I tried to bend the frame and had no real problem, but as soon as I shut the door the !#$%^ thing cammed out again.

The door top actually wiggles on the door bottom. The top of the top has almost 3cm of movement, so I suspect the bottom of the window chanel is rusty and fatigued.

Solution, wet legs or new door tops I guess.

All good suggestions so thanks again.
Richard