PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I bought last week?

DT-P38
17th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Look what $100 gets you at Streaky Bay in SA!

It's a 2 owner 1950's Austin Gypsy 4WD with roughly 50,000 miles showing. Came with original workshop manual and very few modifications. Anyone else got one?

It's gonna be another big road (and fishing) trip coming up (maybe after Melrose) I guess!!!

DT-P38
17th January 2014, 06:39 PM
More pics...

DT-P38
17th January 2014, 07:09 PM
Four wheel independent suspension via torsion bars front and rear... Wonder if they can be wound up and down like early Porsches? 2.2 lt four cylinder petrol and four speed straight out of the BMC factory in Oxford UK? Radiator has a plate saying it was made by a local component manufacturer in UK. Body rust is bad in some spots (tray, roof and top of windscreen surround) but doors (no tops), firewall and chassis look pretty good for age. PO says bring a battery and pour fuel down the throat and it will probably fire! Any suggestions on how to do that (start) with out damage? It's been sitting for approx 8-9 years.

DT-P38
17th January 2014, 07:13 PM
Plates

goingbush
17th January 2014, 07:27 PM
Not very popular in their day, but what a find ! Very rare thing.

And just check the wheel travel on this one
Austin Gipsy 4x4x4 #4 - YouTube

EDIT, oh discount this video, I didnt watch it right thru until just now - its obviously highly modded - like the 4WS
(will leave it for intrest sake )

there are ways to get the engine running but at the risk of breaking rings, which isnt so bad, but you don't want to score the bores so best not try.

Mick_Marsh
17th January 2014, 07:38 PM
Well done. Will you be driving it home?

Homestar
17th January 2014, 08:19 PM
Just what you need Dave - another project. I do like it though.:)

How and when is it getting home?

AIF
18th January 2014, 01:18 AM
That looks like a great prodject!

Landy Smurf
18th January 2014, 07:43 AM
Good buy, I think I saw one go for $1800 at an auction and it needed lots of work.
I quite like the Austins they are quirky

incisor
18th January 2014, 09:20 AM
looks like a great score

they have character to burn... you've done well!

DT-P38
18th January 2014, 09:37 AM
Well done. Will you be driving it home?
Freight (at least to Adelaide) looks the go at this stage. The PO has contacts at the local freight co.

If that's no good, I know a nice fella with a trailer and a love of road trips!

:-0

;-(

superquag
18th January 2014, 09:46 AM
Good value. - For a Land Rover owner there's nothing too difficult.

Or quirky...:D

sheerluck
18th January 2014, 02:02 PM
There's no prizes for guessing where the designers took their styling cues from. :angel:

I like it though. Never heard of them before!

Mick_Marsh
18th January 2014, 02:35 PM
Freight (at least to Adelaide) looks the go at this stage. The PO has contacts at the local freight co.

If that's no good, I know a nice fella with a trailer and a love of road trips!

:-0

;-(
What's the plan? Take Budder over. Bring Gypsy back.

goingbush
18th January 2014, 03:49 PM
There's no prizes for guessing where the designers took their styling cues from. :angel:

I like it though. Never heard of them before!

where ?? G60 Patrol was later !!

the only thing that looks vaugely LandRover to me is the tailgate, and the windscreen looks like the one on Shaun the Sheep

DT-P38
18th January 2014, 05:47 PM
What's the plan? Take Budder over. Bring Gypsy back.

Should be... Just still not keen to part with Budder!

DeeJay
18th January 2014, 11:36 PM
Dave Dave Dave,.
Keep off that SA beer mate !!!
Good effort though, a bit of history there...
You need another project like you need another arsehole !!!:D

DT-P38
19th January 2014, 10:51 PM
Dave Dave Dave,. Keep off that SA beer mate !!! Good effort though, a bit of history there... You need another project like you need another arsehole !!!:D

Rule no.1 - NEVER BLAME THE BEER.

But your right, I will have to get cracking on
"The Count" again now. At least I can tell the better half that it's not a landrover specific compulsion/disease I have developed!

Psst... Keep it quiet, but my Adelaide mate may have found a cheap two door classic Rangie over there too!

:-)

DeeJay
21st January 2014, 05:59 PM
Rule no.1 - NEVER BLAME THE BEER.

But your right, I will have to get cracking on
"The Count" again now. At least I can tell the better half that it's not a landrover specific compulsion/disease I have developed!

Psst... Keep it quiet, but my Adelaide mate may have found a cheap two door classic Rangie over there too!

:-)
:Rolling: :Rolling:

We can always drop it off here & tell my missus I bought it "for nostalgic reasons" - we used to have one & only sold it as we went to a 4 door- big mistake..