PDA

View Full Version : Speakers in a Discovery

Shifter
13th May 2004, 09:51 AM
My 97 TDI Disco, has 4" speakers fitted front and rear, also with a couple of tweaters front. I have recently fitted a reasonable CD player and wonder if anyone knows of any good quality speakers that can replace the standard issue, which are not really up to scratch.

I am told that 4" speakers are difficult to get and the quality is not good???

Any views??

Shifter.

shaunp
13th May 2004, 04:30 PM
You can get some really good Kenwood ones and Pioneer make some 2 and 3 ways and some component ones as wells

LRHybrid100
13th May 2004, 04:46 PM
G'day Shifter,

I used to do sound offs, not the duff-duff stuff you get these days, more on imaging and clarity of sound.

I may be a little bias towards Alpines, but I went into a decent sound store - NOT Strathfield / Brisbane Car Radio and walk out after buying some 4" Alpine coaxial 2 ways.

These mounted into the Disco front doors real well and sounded great.

Just my opinion,

LRH.

LRHybrid100
13th May 2004, 04:52 PM
just hunted them out, as they are currently spares.

They are Alpine SPS-1029S - so 10cm (4") 2 ways.

I used to run either Becker, top end German stuff, or Alpine 7906 CD head unit and Phillips 4 channel amp and Alpine speakers.

Don't forget to replace all the speaker wires with good grade cables and if possible seal the speaker units into the door - even cheap speakers can sound good if installed well.

LRH.

agrojnr
13th May 2004, 05:42 PM
I run 4" Kenwood 90 watts in the front of my Disco and they work a treat just need to up date the rears now

adam :twisted:

Shifter
13th May 2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies Guys.

I was told about the Alpines but was also advised to live with the standard issue until the f.... up or did not sound so good. I will now go and hit the wallet for some Alpines.

Thanks again,

Shifter.

bigbugga
13th May 2004, 09:11 PM
I replaced my frount and rear speakers with kickers.

Kept the frount looking same as factory as the new ones went right into the same grills.

Only needed a small spacer for the rear, might not be the most expensive speakers but they work fine for me.

one_iota
13th May 2004, 09:19 PM
The standard setup "clips" at the high end..my audiophile brother has recommended an amplifier.

I'd like to explore some detachable and extendable all terrain and water proof speakers that I can arrange so that the sound stage and imaging is just right.

And a lot of space to play it loud. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Pedro_The_Swift
15th May 2004, 08:19 AM
I went with an Alpine, way too compilcated but sounds good, new speakers in current holes and gave up one side pocket at the rear for a 9"driver, amp went into drivers side rear floor map pocket,,
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

DiscoTDI
16th May 2004, 02:39 PM
I had 120w 6" pioneers with spacers in the back pillars, they worked well.