PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case???

simonit
18th May 2004, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

Have a 98 tdi disco and on the weekend was headed down a gentle slope, and when I got to the bottom heard a great 'clunk'. Bugger I thought, that sounded bad. Anyway, started to head up another slope, first gear high range and next thing another great 'clunk'. This time had no drive. Tried locking centre diff, still no drive, no drive in any gear. Put it into low-range, no problem. Climbed to the top and put back into high range, all was good again.

Sounds to me like something let go in the transfer case but the lever hadn't knocked back into neutral or anything.

So what's the go?? Should I be worried and have it checked out or do I consider this to be a one off??

Any help appreciated.

Phoenix
18th May 2004, 03:28 PM
Sounds like it may be a bent selector or something like that, sombody had a similar pronlem recently, i'll see if I can dig it up.

Phoenix
18th May 2004, 03:32 PM
have a look at this old topic

http://www.aulro.com/modules.php?name=Foru...highlight=clunk (http://www.aulro.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=681&highlight=clunk)

that might help.

simonit
18th May 2004, 03:39 PM
That doesn't sound good. Although it does state that this issue should have been fixed by 97. Will have to check the number on my transfer case.

Phoenix
18th May 2004, 04:24 PM
I still think it sounds like a bent selector fork, but the clunk just rang a bell from that topic.

Oh, and welcome to AULRO, I hope that you find the answer.

shaunp
18th May 2004, 06:06 PM
It's not uncommon for an LT230 to slip out of gear on trailing throttle if it wasn't all the way engauged. They come out with a bang. I find that if the car is stationary when you select transfer ratios they don't always go all the way in. You need the car rolling to ensure the range is fully selected. A mate of mine went on a 4x4 driving course with Duncans off road and they also suggested not selecting while stationary, Chris had his Disco slip out going around Nagalla rocks almost took it for a swim.

one_iota
18th May 2004, 06:33 PM
The engagement of low range can be problematic.

I can tell (now) by how far forward the stick goes. If in doubt I will back up a bit before descending or ascending to make sure.

I usually find that the satisfactory engagement is accompanied by a gentle clunk.

If I can I will engage whilst moving very slowly (under 5kph) with the car moving straight ahead.

I have found that regular use of the transfer box is beneficial even if it is only in unlocked low range in slow moving traffic going up a hill.

This is not to say that there isn't a problem elsewhere.

Spend some time somewhere on loose surfaces experimenting and do it regularly.

simonit
19th May 2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. As mentioned by one_iota, I will do some testing this weekend. Also thanks to Phoenix for the welcome style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Cheers.

Shifter
19th May 2004, 10:18 AM
Oh God, all this talk of clunks - - I have a clunk when i accelerate and sometimes when I decelerate, transfer works OK, i'll have to check the number refered to in the link from Phoenix. By the way, where do i find the number??? I can feel my wallet siezing up!

Shifter.

Phoenix
19th May 2004, 11:16 AM
Sounds like it may be the problem in the other topic shifter. Have a search through the technical topics, sombody mentioned where to find it at one point. De

Somebody should be able to post the location here.

Defender200Tdi
19th May 2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Shifter

The serial number for the transfer case is usually on the rear face at the bottom, just below the fill plug.

Even if it is one of the transfer boxes that pre-dates the LR fix up, I wouldn't panic just yet, there are other things that can cause clunks in your drivetrain without it being the mainshaft wear problem.

The first to check is the rear A arm ball joint. This is located on the top of the rear diff and will cause clunks when it is worn. Also check the rubber bushes at the chassis end of those same arms. Best thing to do is get a big screwdriver or small pry bar and see if there is and looseness or deterioration in the bushing. While your under there, you might as well check things like the propshaft uni joints and splines to see if they have a lot of slack too. Try all these first before you worry too much about the transfer box.

Paul style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif