PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover diesel engine conversion options

rar110
18th May 2004, 08:14 PM
Can anyone provide advice from personal experience on a 4 cly diesel engine conversion for a range rover.

I've heard and read (on the net) of a number of suitable options including

* Isuzu 4BD1T (I've also wondered about the 2.8 & 3.0 lt turbo engines)
* Daihatsu 2.8lt turbo
* Ford/Mazda
* Landrover TDi.

Is it easier to replace to fit a complete engine and matching gearbox conversion?

I am thinking about a conversion for an early model rangy.

[/code]

LandyAndy
18th May 2004, 09:36 PM
Hi
No experience with Rangies,but would look at using a complete engine/gearbox/transfercase for ease of converting and compatability.
I bought an import motor from Brisbane Motor Imports last year for mitsi Trytoo.They were very helpful and much cheaper than anybody over here in the west including freight.The motor has since done 15000ks with no problems.
Goodluck
Andrew

Owen
20th May 2004, 08:46 AM
There is a guy down in Tassie on this http://members.boardhost.com/blumx/
Forum with a Nissan Terrano conversion that seemed happy. Try a post there to see how you go.

rar110
20th May 2004, 08:09 PM
thanks for the reply, but I couldn't find the post talking about the nissan motor. Any more clues?

Owen
21st May 2004, 05:08 PM
They dont have an archive on that forum so you will have to post your question there.

HSVRangie
21st May 2004, 07:26 PM
Have a talk to Sam Overton (strangerover) on outerlimits his business partner has the Isuzu 4 cyl in his RR.

speaks very highly of it.

Michael.

rar110
27th May 2004, 06:26 PM
thanks everyone for the reply. There is not a lot of info out there.

one_iota
27th May 2004, 07:05 PM
rar110,

I will make a short story long:

Whilst filling up at the diesel bowser last year I was startled (as you would be) by the rattle of a Rangie parked behind me waiting his turn.

Intrigued I asked if it was the Turbo diesel (Italian) that RR's came with some years ago.

No he had transplanted a Isuzu na 4bd1.

It turned out that this was the same guy who did the pre-purchase inspection on my Disco five years previous. At that time he mentioned that he was contemplating this.

I recollect stuff about firewall mods.

I've pulled out his details from my files.

Now I shouldn't publish his details here but I will send you a PM with his name and phone number should you wish to talk to him.

He also owns an early Series and is therefore a nut like us so you could mention this forum.

one_iota
27th May 2004, 07:31 PM
rar110,

BTW Land Vehicle Spares are wrecking a Turbo Diesel Range Rover.

You might like to talk to them specifically and generally about the subject.

I've posted their details in the Recommended Suppliers Section.

Grimace
1st June 2004, 12:23 PM
I have an 88 TD rangie here in my yard not running.

This is interesting as I was considering wrecking it but have decided not to (just yet anyway).
I too am interested in putting either another deisel or a bigger V8 into the POS...... I just dont know where to start style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Anthony

Pierre
2nd June 2004, 05:19 PM
I did some research for my brother some months back. Mitsu 4M40 (I think 2.8l turbo ex Triton) can be used. UK crowd fabricates a conversion kit - but it's not cheap. Engine's same world over, including UK! I haven't got the info anymore, but I think the UK firm had the word "Anglia" in it.

Others may have seen this website. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It depends on how much you've got to spend, but you'll not get much for little!

Pierre
3rd June 2004, 03:31 PM
Try as I may, I can't find the reference. All I remember is that it was not cheap! Sorry.

rar110
3rd June 2004, 08:17 PM
thanks anyway.

LRHybrid100
4th June 2004, 09:32 PM
is this the link you are looking for?

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/category.ph...?c=k&p=category (http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/category.php?c=k&p=category)

rob1
17th November 2011, 03:11 PM
G'day, I,m not sure how this all works but I'll give it a go. The reason for my interest in this site is to communicate with others who have done Isuzu engines in a Range Rover. I have a 1985 4 door which I have cut down to a tray bodied ute, and as part of the conversion, have installed a 4BD1 Isuzu engine with a fabricated exhaust manifold similar to that in the Discovery. It all looks good and any problems have been addressed during the build. As it stands, the vehicle has the following appointments in addition to the diesel engine: I used the old 4 speed gearbox with 1:1 transfer case gears, fitted a 115 litre fuel tank to the rear and two belly tanks taking the fuel carrying capacity to around 180 litres. An 80 litre s/s water tank under the front of the tray body along with 2 spare wheels & tyres. I have installed exhaust brakes as the prime purpose in building the ute is to tow a caravan. The body is raised 35mm to facilitate removal of the rocker cover and this gives the vehicle a more robust appaerance as well. With the roof, I used the existing R/R roof reducing it in length to suit; similarly the roof lining. The rear of the new cab was fabricated from galv. rhs, welded and sheeted with zincanneal sheet. The modifications with the exception of the lift kit have been engineer approved and out state transport department people assure me that their approval will be forthcoming. This has been a long winded and somewhat expensive job but should be worthwhile. Any comments? Thanks Robert

LRO
17th November 2011, 04:07 PM
Hi
Any photos

Tank
17th November 2011, 04:30 PM
Why not just transplant a 300TDi, easy, Regards Frank.

JohnF
17th November 2011, 04:35 PM
There have been plenty of photos of conversions a few years ago. A number have put in Isuzus, and gave photos.

PAT303
17th November 2011, 05:48 PM
I did some research for my brother some months back. Mitsu 4M40 (I think 2.8l turbo ex Triton) can be used. UK crowd fabricates a conversion kit - but it's not cheap. Engine's same world over, including UK! I haven't got the info anymore, but I think the UK firm had the word "Anglia" in it.

Others may have seen this website. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It depends on how much you've got to spend, but you'll not get much for little!

My father in law has a 2.8 Triton,fitting that motor would be alot of stuffing about and wouldn't go as good as a Tdi/4HP22/R380 set-up.I would buy a written off D1 and swap everything over. Pat

INDABA
17th November 2011, 07:09 PM
AGREED, why not stick to rover, 200 or 300tdi, good engines, gearbox fits, t/case fits

Vern
17th November 2011, 08:03 PM
hmmm 7 year old thread guys:(