PDA

View Full Version : Which snatch strap?

ss_0001
27th January 2014, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I'll be back in Adelaide tomorrow arvo for 24hrs and was wanting to get a snatch strap and a couple of shackles.

Just looking for something to pull my D2 out of sand.

Any recommendations as to which one, and or where best to get one?

Could also try Ebay I guess, with overnight shipping..

Thanks.

Slunnie
27th January 2014, 08:10 PM
I'd be inclined to stick with brand name straps like ARB, OL, TJM or Just Straps brand.

ss_0001
27th January 2014, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks. How about Outback Armour stuff - any good?

Slunnie
27th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Ok thanks. How about Outback Armour stuff - any good?

I'm not familiar with their products. Sorry.

Tank
28th January 2014, 12:19 AM
Before you get shackles and a snatch strap make sure you have somewhere SAFE to connect to on your vehicle, Regards frank.

ss_0001
28th January 2014, 10:46 PM
That's a good point - I didn't realise the existings points on the front are so weak.

Since I really only go offroad in the dunes - How about a set of maxtrax instead?

Would they substitute for a snatch strap?

jc109
28th January 2014, 11:05 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd say that nine times out of ten the answer would be yes. They might be slower in many situations but they're safer too. You can't go wrong with them. They've saved my hide a few times now. I'll always use them over a snatch if I can.

ss_0001
29th January 2014, 04:48 PM
Ok thanks, great. I picked up a set this morning, while they're on special at Rays.

HarryO
31st January 2014, 12:03 AM
Maxtrax are great - combined with low tyre pressure will get you out of most dune situations. Snatch straps are a must but only work when there is another vehicle (obviously) - so Maxtrax make you more self sufficient. I travel with both... Also get two or more straps - for those long distance recoveries

Red90
31st January 2014, 12:59 AM
.. Also get two or more straps - for those long distance recoveries

And know how to safely join two straps....

Sitec
3rd February 2014, 12:06 PM
Hi there.. Having used snatch straps over here and snatch ropes in the UK, I'd be buying a Bubba Rope out of the states long before Id buy a Snatch Strap... The rope has much more stretch, and is a lot more forgiving on the initial take up, and due to the greater stretch has more 'snatch' power than a strap. As said before tho make sure your recovery points are in A1 condition. :)

ADMIRAL
3rd February 2014, 10:19 PM
Maxtrax are great - combined with low tyre pressure will get you out of most dune situations. Snatch straps are a must but only work when there is another vehicle (obviously) - so Maxtrax make you more self sufficient. I travel with both... Also get two or more straps - for those long distance recoveries

I'd put them ahead of a snatch strap too !