PDA

View Full Version : Stub Axle Oil Seal

Defender200Tdi
26th May 2004, 09:10 AM
I'm in the process of fixing a little oil leak (for a change), and I've gotten myself all confused. :?

The stub axle oil seal, the one that stops swivel oil (or grease) from getting into the bearings, goes in which way?

http://www.aulro.com/albums/album37/Stub_Axle_Seal.sized.jpg

In the manual it says that the lip should be facing the oil when installing all seals. That's also the general understanding I have for oil seals. That would mean the the lip side (concave) of the seal would be facing the swivel and the other side (flat) would face the wheel bearings.

However, in the section of the manual that describes installing that particular seal, it says that the lip side should face the bearings and the flat side should face the swivel?

What am I missing here? (Besides the requisite IQ points)

Paul style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Larns
26th May 2004, 07:44 PM
Paul
The flat side faces the bearings, your trying to keep the oil in the swivel housing from escaping. The concave side keeps it in and the flat side always keeps the **** out.
Make sure it's installed even otherwise it'll all be done for nothing.

Cheers Larns

Defender200Tdi
26th May 2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks Larns, that's what I thought, and what I did. It was just when I read the manual that it said the seal should be installed the other way around, that I started to question it. 8O Even in the later manual for 300tdi Defenders, it still shows the seal being installed the wrong way around. I guess Landrover's quality control department looks after the printing of the workshop manuals too. :roll:

Paul style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif