PDA

View Full Version : D3 wheel nuts???

ade
20th February 2014, 09:07 AM
How do they work? Do they have a silver cover
That slips when they are tight enough or is that just a cover
And the actual nut to tighten is underneath ?
Cheers

Geedublya
20th February 2014, 10:18 AM
The nuts have a cover, however it is not removable (unless they are damaged). If you use an air tool it will likely damage them over time and you will have trouble fitting the socket over them.
I changed mine to solid nuts and now I can use an air tool without damaging them.:)

ade
21st February 2014, 04:56 PM
Yeh but if the cover slips while aim doing them
Up by hand, how do I know they are tight enough or are they
Ment to slip once tight enough?

Barryp
21st February 2014, 05:58 PM
Only use a 6 point socket a 12 point will damage them.
Recommended torque from memory is about 120NM.
Regards
Barryp

BobD
21st February 2014, 07:09 PM
Yeh but if the cover slips while aim doing them
Up by hand, how do I know they are tight enough or are they
Ment to slip once tight enough?

The cover won't slip when doing them up with a spanner. They should be the shape of the nut and hence impossible to slip when tightening by hand also.

If they are slipping they must be out of shape and I would think that the correct sized spanner won't fit either. The correct size is 22mm.

Bob

Crimdog
28th February 2014, 09:58 PM
Definitely make sure if you go to a tyre place you tell them not to use a double hex socket (12point). A certain big name tyre place buggerd a few of mine just the other day by doing this, even though I told them not to.

sheerluck
28th February 2014, 10:22 PM
Definitely make sure if you go to a tyre place you tell them not to use a double hex socket (12point). A certain big name tyre place buggerd a few of mine just the other day by doing this, even though I told them not to.

Need a new set? I've got a set of 20 in the markets.

DI5CO
3rd March 2014, 06:18 AM
Don't forget one of them could be the lock nut, that cap is designed to come off.
Dave

sniegy
3rd March 2014, 06:47 PM
Not on a Disco 3, Disco 4, RR Sport Or Any Vogues.

Only Disco 2, Defender & Early Freelander.

garryc
4th March 2014, 05:12 PM
The cover won't slip when doing them up with a spanner. They should be the shape of the nut and hence impossible to slip when tightening by hand also.

If they are slipping they must be out of shape and I would think that the correct sized spanner won't fit either. The correct size is 22mm.

Bob
Always carry a 23mm socket as well. It will fit over a damaged nut where a 22mm will not. Been there:)