PDA

View Full Version : New laddie s3

henry
9th March 2014, 10:53 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself and my new s3 laddie. I live in perth, so if you see me honk!

I bought here a week ago, she is my first 4wd and first land rover so I'm still learning the ropes. I bought her on a whim after being "infected" by a series 2 parked down the road and when I was told it was DEFINITELY not for sale that was the last straw and then I found this beauty. The previous owner didn't have her for long (1 month?) but before that I think she was cared for well (annotated service manual with links to LR magazines-also provided and heaps so parts) . I'm just trying to put some in some TLC before taking her out for some fun in the bush.

The car is good nick, except for no oil in anything! Serves me right for not checking! Also the gearbox/ overdrive makes a hell of a noise under engine braking and I believe the gearbox oil mostly leaked into the transfer case, because I pulled so little out of the gearbox and over 2.5L from the transfer?? Any ideas, sounds like another new owner has got a similar problem

Finally any pointers on diagnosing/ improving the steering would be most welcome. It moves around a lot at speed and has a lot of dead movement.

Cheers,
Hendrik

Ps
If anyone knows the previous owner(s) i would like to have a yarn :D

Mick_Marsh
10th March 2014, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the forum.
That's a rather interesting S3 you have.
Tell us more about it. Do you have the chassis number?
Any further photo's?

S3ute
10th March 2014, 07:44 AM
Hello from Brisbane.

Welcome to serious Series ownership.

Sounds like your truck has all the haulmarks (symptons) of the breed and age.

Cheers,

Phil B
10th March 2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Hendrik,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have an over drive bearing issue. Does it still make the noise when the overdrive is disangaged? If not it is the overdrive.
The gearbox oil capacity is 1.5l and the transfer is 2.5l. Maybe your gearbox has a leak.
The steering box free play is adjustable by tightening the adjuster after releasing the lock nut on the side of the steering box. You can find this at the end of the steering column.
the adjuster is behind a removable steering box cover inside the right hand fender. Do not over tighten, only remove free play on the steering wheel.
Check the oil in there as well, it takes EP80-90 and is filled via a square fill nut on the box access below the brake naster cylinder inside the bonnet.
Try those first and if it has still not improved you can move on to several other adjustments on the steering.

Regards,

Phil

henry
10th March 2014, 12:05 PM
Cheers for tips, I'll give that a go next weekend.

Also the noise gearbox/ overdrive noise persists even when the OD is disengaged. Interested if you hold the OD lever fully back it is a bit better??? Dunno. I thinks it's a case of drop it out snd open up, personally.

The cars numbers are as follows, it's s 78 which seems to match the numbers. Is say it's definitely not a military s3 just someone with a paint can.

Engine 9023769C
Chassis 90338795A

As a rollin resto I'm pretty happy with it.