PDA

View Full Version : GSM antenna

AndyG
6th April 2014, 09:07 AM
With one of those external GSM antenna, say 860 mm, what sort of effective range do they deliver?

scarry
6th April 2014, 07:45 PM
in PNG it is very hilly?,so probably will not work well,except from top of a hill maybe.

Mine is around 800mm,and is excellent out west where it is very flat,but around hills,not real good.

driftwagon
6th April 2014, 07:57 PM
have been told by a communications Mate that in hilly areas the stick glass ones can work better. have both if then your covered.

AndyG
7th April 2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry,
To clarify, for my Oz Defender, to be used out west

schuy1
7th April 2014, 11:53 AM
Longer antennas tend to have a flatter radiation beam=better in flat country, Short 1's are lower Db but tend to have a higher angle of beam radiation, = better in hilly country.
However that is just a general rule and being radio waves dont always behave as we think they should!
Cheers Scott

Michael2
7th April 2014, 12:36 PM
I've got one on the roof rack of my 110, and I loosen the U-bolt on the mount to fold it flat when not required.

Travelling Central and Western Australia, I found it would get reception about 5-20 km sooner on an approach into towns, and keep it for that bit longer. At 100 kph, that's a maximum of 12 minutes of better coverage, but it does mean you can call sooner in an emergency, or extend your range and search the net sooner for accom / facilities if you're using your phone as a modem/hotspot for your tablet.

On my next trip I'll have the phone plugged into both 12V and aerial patch lead, and switched to Hotspot, with a 7" tablet suctioned cupped to the windscreen, and that way even transient reception will give me a window of opportunity to receive incoming emails.

rover-56
7th April 2014, 12:38 PM
GSM is limited to about 30-40km by the time based signal processing used (TDMA). You will get an improvement with an external antenna versus phone in the car, but no improvement between short, long or curly:).

NextG on 850MHz (and maybe 3G on 900MHz) is not limited by coding, so better antennas = better range.

I get ~100km in flat country with a gutter mount ground independent with a 300mm whip with nextG.

Terry

Leroy_Riding
16th April 2014, 07:16 AM
GSM is limited to about 30-40km by the time based signal processing used (TDMA). You will get an improvement with an external antenna versus phone in the car, but no improvement between short, long or curly:).

NextG on 850MHz (and maybe 3G on 900MHz) is not limited by coding, so better antennas = better range.

I get ~100km in flat country with a gutter mount ground independent with a 300mm whip with nextG.

Terry

got a link to the whip you are using?
Ill be in the market for one soon but cant seem to find anything wrth buying.

Leroy.

AndyG
16th April 2014, 08:18 AM
i was goung to get the 6.2 db 90 cm one

Mobile Phone Antennas : Vehicle Bull Bar Mount, NEXT G, GSM and 3G - ZCG Scalar (http://www.zcg.com.au/mobile_phone_antennas_bullbar.htm)

AndyG
16th April 2014, 08:19 AM
i was going to get the 6.2 db 90 cm one

Mobile Phone Antennas : Vehicle Bull Bar Mount, NEXT G, GSM and 3G - ZCG Scalar (http://www.zcg.com.au/mobile_phone_antennas_bullbar.htm)

rover-56
16th April 2014, 08:22 AM
It's a RF Industries CD1225, 825 to 896MHz

Cellular Elevated Feed 824-896MHz - 3 dBq - Cellular Mobile - Mobile Antennas - RFI Wireless (http://www.rfiwireless.com.au/mobile-antennas/cellular-mobile/cellular-elevated-feed-cd1225.html#.U02-Ms6U0ao)

Bought it through a local comms place in Bairnsdale. About $75 I think.

Terry

scarry
16th April 2014, 05:45 PM
These guys also have a good range of gear,and are helpful

7dBi Magnetic Base Antenna (http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/8dbi-magnetic-base-antenna)

Corgie Carrier
17th April 2014, 09:40 PM
I use the phone through the bluetooth in the stereo and was told there was an external antenna available to extend the range.

Has anyone heard about this and know where to get one?

Neale