PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Tracks

Tombie
11th April 2014, 02:24 PM
After an interesting night recovering the Lad and his friends who got their 2 4wdrives bogged last night, I'm going to bite the bullet and get some recovery tracks...

There is 2 major players (Australian manufacturers) Maxtrax and Treds that I am looking at...

http://www.maxtrax.com.au/uploads/images/MPS%20layout%20dimensions.gif

http://tred4x4.com/assets/images/faq_dualsize.png
I'm seeking opinions of the AULRO brains trust and also any experiences members have had with both brands.

Thanks

Disco Muppet
11th April 2014, 02:30 PM
Maxtrax are the superior of the two.
Don't own them myself but having held both of them at the same time the finish quality of the Maxtrax was superior.
I've seen broken Treds, but not broken Maxtrax.
Treds will probably be okay for light to moderate use, but I would want to have Maxtrax if I really needed them.

Blknight.aus
11th April 2014, 02:42 PM
I concur.

the treds work for a while but much spin on them melts the plastic back.

dont forget to invest in some good rope that you can use to pull em out of hte muck with.

87County
11th April 2014, 04:07 PM
Maxtrax are longer and appear to be stronger (and thus more expen$ive).

If you've got room to carry the extra length I'd say Maxtrax (we carry them on all trips and haven't had to use them so far).

I think they now come with tape to attach to them to locate them if they're buried after the task.

PAT303
11th April 2014, 04:17 PM
I used them once,used a fancy fold up sand anchor as well,just more crap to carry IMHO. Pat

amtravic1
11th April 2014, 04:28 PM
I have treads. They seem well enough made for the use they are likely to get from me. I got Treads because a while back Supercheap had a really good sale price on the longer version with a free bag and then because my daughter works there part time I got an even better price!

kelvo
11th April 2014, 05:14 PM
I've heard that TREDs are no good unless you have a very open tread tyre as the knobbles on the TRED's are too big to get into the tread.

Maxtrax on the other hand use 'blades' which fit into almost all tyre type treads.

I own a pair of Maxtrax.

Any photos of the lads recovery?

HarryO
11th April 2014, 05:34 PM
Add one more Vote for Maxtrax

The pain of lugging them around is soon forgotten when they get you out of a sticky situation..

ATH
11th April 2014, 05:37 PM
Luckily one of our group (LROCWA) had 2 pairs of Maxtrax in his Disco when 4 of us got bogged down on the beach south of Northcliff.
We had to climb quite a steel slope to get back on the top of the beach and believe me we couldn't have done it without them....plus plenty of hands to dig sand away and retrieve them.
They're next on the list of things for the Cook to buy me.:p
AlanH.

weeds
11th April 2014, 05:58 PM
I have just brought a set and have borrowed a set of the older type for my trip to moreton next week....I have seen them in use and reckon they would be handy. They even worked when a car winching was sliding towards the load, we put a MAXTRAX under each wheels and the car stopped sliding.

I have also met Brad, the guy behind MAXTRAX, super nice guy and generous as he has sponsored three events I have been involved with.

A guy at work still cannot find a pair that buried themselves in the sand last Friday. He is leaving his camp spot tomorrow, I wonder if he has found them. He texted me reminding me to attach the tape

Bren
11th April 2014, 06:34 PM
They are great. Everyone has them, and when they need to get past you they will all pull them out to get you out. I have seen broken Maxtrax and ones with the lugs grinded off by other peoples tyres!!!! Honestly, I have crossed the Canning Stock Route and Simpson Desert without Maxtrax because you just need to learn how to drive on sand. The number one rule - if you don't make it through, let your tyres down, if you don't make it through the second time, let your tyres down. One sand hill in WA about five vehicles of all makes, just kept letting our tyres down until we all made it up a crazy sand hill that went for about 200m straight up.
The reason places like Fraser Island are chewed up like they are is because people think their 4wds are too good to let tyres down. They churn the #$@#$ out of the tracks.
Yes, I have been badly bogged in sand. The reason - thinking the vehicle in front was going to make it through easily and following too close. What got me out was the good old snatch strap.
Cheers

Defender bender
11th April 2014, 06:35 PM
after reading about buried and lost boards, i am definately attaching longer and stronger ropes to mine before my next adventure into the nullaboor. Thanks for pointing that out.

blue_mini
11th April 2014, 06:50 PM
I haven't used mine in sand, but I've never been stuck in sand either. Low tyre pressures and gentle on the throttle does wonders.

My max trax were great when I was stuck on slick mud and couldn't go forwards it backwards. Yeah I could've let the tyres down and dug a bit and finally got out. But who wants
To spent an hour digging when you can spend 30 seconds putting maxtrax under the wheels?

northiam
11th April 2014, 07:05 PM
Been looking at these, seem great!
Not sure about being oz thou?

MUPUTRAX - Multi-purpose Recovery Tracks, Sand Ladders, Camping and 4x4 Gear (http://www.muputrax.com.au/?ap=0#about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHKsG1x4uc

gusthedog
11th April 2014, 07:34 PM
TUFF TRAXX 4WD BRIDGING AND RECOVERY TRACKS. Set of 2. JPMBL - VENTILATION VENTS TAX (http://specials.ventilation-vents.com.au/tuff-traxx-4wd-bridging-and-recovery-tracks-set-of-2-jpmbl/)

This is what I have. Way better than either maxx tracks or their copies. Work well in sand or mud but they can be used to bridge holes too. Stronger, cheaper and much more useful than a light weight plastic piece of poo. IMHO of course :D

scarry
11th April 2014, 07:35 PM
Where you have 2 vehicles badly bogged,obviously a difficult situation,sure they would come in handy.

But i have never needed them,and as others have said,something else to pack in and carry on a trip that may not get used.

i have done heaps of trips to Fraser and moreton,Old tele track up and back twice,Simpson twice,and never needed them.

In sand,i find a long handled shovel the best.
And with the D4,it goes into super extended once on its belly, easier to get the shovel underneath if you do get into trouble,which is pretty rare.

DoctorJ
11th April 2014, 08:24 PM
I have tried them all and for versatilty I think you cant go past the quality of the Bushranger Trax

X Trax - Bushranger (http://bushranger.com.au/x_trax_ii.php)

I also noticed when I was adding the link that they have a 5 year warranty too.

Cheers
Julian

landy
11th April 2014, 08:59 PM
I have 2 pairs of waffle boards and recently my kids bought me a pair of MaxTrax. The MTs are much lighter and work great in sand. I have not needed them in mud but are very light construction. I think you need the bed of sand or mud to maintain the integrity of the board.

However the WBs are very strong and can be used for bridging which I like a lot. But they are quite heavy in comparison to MTs.

You pick the tool for the job obviously but given a choice if space was tight id pack the WBs.

Cheers

Nino.

weeds
12th April 2014, 05:40 AM
TUFF TRAXX 4WD BRIDGING AND RECOVERY TRACKS. Set of 2. JPMBL - VENTILATION VENTS TAX (http://specials.ventilation-vents.com.au/tuff-traxx-4wd-bridging-and-recovery-tracks-set-of-2-jpmbl/)

This is what I have. Way better than either maxx tracks or their copies. Work well in sand or mud but they can be used to bridge holes too. Stronger, cheaper and much more useful than a light weight plastic piece of poo. IMHO of course :D

I have a set of these as well..........incisor has a set too

I have never used them as they are a bit heavy and difficult to store.......I had them bolted to the side of my roof rack for a couple of years

I might drag them out for my moreton trip.........yes I have never been stuck in sand but this time I am towing 1300kg....which apparently you need brakes fitted

marty
12th April 2014, 06:19 AM
three 4x4s bogged in the sand had both maxtrax and treads
rising tide
we would have lost at least one if not two 4x4s without them.
first 4x4 bogged in extremely soft sand
had the two 4x4s following stop and back up
one inexperienced and veered out of tire tracks towards ocean and bogged
third experienced, tried to set to recover the second and sank
started at 18-20 psi
got out buy using treeds and 5 psi first 4x4 and a lot of digging
2nd 4x4 maxtrax 10 psi and a lot of digging
third winch maxtrax, treeds and lot of digging 5psi
use longer ropes than tape supplied
previous year lost a set of maxtrax in the sand as tape supplied not long enough
long story short extra to carry but when there is nothing to attach a winch to or no body to snatch you very handy

Graeme
13th April 2014, 06:42 AM

This is what I have. Way better than either maxx tracks or their copies. Work well in sand or mud but they can be used to bridge holes too. Stronger, cheaper and much more useful than a light weight plastic piece of poo. IMHO of course :DI've ordered a pair of these that will double as farm 4-wheel bike loading ramps.

tonic
13th April 2014, 07:58 AM
These things are handy but can spin out on rocks and things. Good in the sand and to put down in front of your other style to keep your momentum once you get moving. Very cheap and fold up well.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

Scouse
13th April 2014, 08:03 AM
Moved to 'Recovery'.

123rover50
13th April 2014, 08:14 AM

Rated at 1 1/2 ton per wheel:eek:
Looking at the photo of it mounting the curb its bent around the circumference of the wheel.
Imagine crossing a deep washout supported by each end. It would still bend around the wheel and the whole lot would disappear down the hole:(

gusthedog
13th April 2014, 12:39 PM
Rated at 1 1/2 ton per wheel:eek:
Looking at the photo of it mounting the curb its bent around the circumference of the wheel.
Imagine crossing a deep washout supported by each end. It would still bend around the wheel and the whole lot would disappear down the hole:(

Well they're not designed just to be supported at the very ends :D

I have found with mine if I have at least 4 squares overhang, I'm pretty right. ;)

goingbush
13th April 2014, 12:48 PM
Absolute waste of money, just spend $10 and buy a dozen hessian bags, take up no room and weigh nothing. just 1/2 fill some with sand & chuck them under the wheels, never fails . But I suppose hanging hessian bags off the roof rack just would not look right when picking the kids up from school.

Blknight.aus
13th April 2014, 01:02 PM
Absolute waste of money, just spend $10 and buy a dozen hessian bags, take up no room and weigh nothing. just 1/2 fill some with sand & chuck them under the wheels, never fails . But I suppose hanging hessian bags off the roof rack just would not look right when picking the kids up from school.

Or

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/48963-how-make-cheapy-sand-tracks-ladders-mats-whatevers-offsite-image-warnings.html

Tombie
13th April 2014, 10:30 PM
These things are handy but can spin out on rocks and things. Good in the sand and to put down in front of your other style to keep your momentum once you get moving. Very cheap and fold up well.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

Those things have always proven an absolute failure in all recoveries we tried to use them...

Tombie
13th April 2014, 10:32 PM

Interesting assumption.... And fair enough - but I want them for mud - that bottomless mud..

The stuff my lad finds all the bloody time!

We could not keep a vehicle on the surface the other night... Tracks / planks would have saved hours of recovery time...

FeatherWeightDriver
14th April 2014, 07:51 AM
For what it is worth, Supercheap easter sale prices:

Maxtrax 1.1m set: $300 ish
Tred 1.1m set: $200 ish

Tombie
14th April 2014, 09:37 AM
For what it is worth, Supercheap easter sale prices:

Maxtrax 1.1m set: $300 ish
Tred 1.1m set: $200 ish

I was in Supercheap yesterday and they tell me there is a 20% off everything sale coming...

That will give me Maxtrax for $239.00 a pair...

Will be heading that way I think..

Thanks for all the input guys..... :cool:

weeds
14th April 2014, 02:17 PM
I was in Supercheap yesterday and they tell me there is a 20% off everything sale coming...

That will give me Maxtrax for $239.00 a pair...

Will be heading that way I think..

Thanks for all the input guys..... :cool:

But so they have any in stock??

FeatherWeightDriver
14th April 2014, 02:19 PM
^^^ Hooray for sales! If you are a member don't they credit you the difference if something goes on sale within 2 weeks of you buying?

My local store had stock, but I might need to go and hide them so no-one else buys them before I do :twisted::angel::wasntme:

Blknight.aus
14th April 2014, 05:32 PM

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachments/gclro-members-rides-projects/66906d1381545409-meet-boomer-recovery-tracks.jpg

where those things shine is when you can get them on the exit of a hole so the loose stuff doesnt mush out from under the tyre.

but then folded shade cloth, grass and carpet alo work.

87County
14th April 2014, 06:36 PM
^..

.....but I might need to go and hide them so no-one else buys them before I do :twisted::angel::wasntme:

must be stock planted all over the store !

(a bit hard on the staff when it comes to stock-take time)

vnx205
14th April 2014, 06:54 PM
where those things shine is when you can get them on the exit of a hole so the loose stuff doesn't mush out from under the tyre.

but then folded shade cloth, grass and carpet alo work.

I would have expected them to be useful on the side of the hole where the vehicle will exit.

Your comment sounds as if you are talking about the side of the hole where the sand thrown up by the spinning tyre will exit.

I must be misreading your explanation, surely.

FeatherWeightDriver
14th April 2014, 07:01 PM
must be stock planted all over the store

It isn't called a bazaar business model for nothing! :p

Blknight.aus
14th April 2014, 07:33 PM
I would have expected them to be useful on the side of the hole where the vehicle will exit.

Your comment sounds as if you are talking about the side of the hole where the sand thrown up by the spinning tyre will exit.

I must be misreading your explanation, surely.

you're about to drive into the hole, you know the other side looks too loose to be tractable.

unroll the mat and put it on the side you're driving towards, momentum and gravity will get you into the hole those things then get pressed into the loose stuff holding it together and preventing you from loosing too much energy trying to "dig" through the surface. The hard bit is hitting them with no wheel spin and just enough momentum and torque.

Once the first couple of vehicles are though they will be firmly embedded in and you can put a bit more power on them.

I have a set of bren gun carrier track for the same task.

vnx205
14th April 2014, 08:03 PM
That makes sense now. I can see how that would work.

I was imagining a situation where you were already stuck in the hole and sitting on the chassis. :)

110dude
16th April 2014, 09:29 PM
Hi champ , i have used both and i reckon that the treds will last longer . The nobs on the treds appear to be a bit more robust hope this helps regards Graeme:)

Blknight.aus
16th April 2014, 11:22 PM
That makes sense now. I can see how that would work.

I was imagining a situation where you were already stuck in the hole and sitting on the chassis. :)

no in that case those things are about as useful as an epeliptic leper as a micro surgeon.

FeatherWeightDriver
17th April 2014, 01:49 PM

Only two things work at that point:

time machine
shovel

:angel::wasntme:

benji
17th April 2014, 04:03 PM
Weeds, just soyou known you need brakes on any trailer over 750kg - :p

Sometimes maxtrax take longer though - when late in the day a mate of mine insists on using them rather than being towed up the dune by a 'Rover' - we still had 400k to do and I was ready to push him up with the bullbar.

FenianEel
17th April 2014, 07:28 PM
Maxtrax all the way, Treds are useless.

Graeme
17th April 2014, 08:15 PM
My Tuff Traxx arrived today. A lot of weight to carry especially if they don't get used.

roverrescue
17th April 2014, 08:29 PM
Tombie
we dont get much sand up here but gee we get some mud
will be some good mud getting to some of our favourite barra haunts this year I iamgine
Anyways I digress.
In good old bottomless mud stuff the plastic boards all they do is get really really really dirty and are a waste of time

As I have said before buy your self 3 or 4 hanks of 30m long 12mm dyneema
A metric **** tonne of shackles
A good drag chain
A good shovel

Recovery vehicle gets chained to solid tree (where there is mud eventually you will find a tree)
Run out your string and start digging and winching

I played with the Maxtrax a mate had with his totally bogged Playdoe on the Morgan landing track a while back. When we finally got the playdoe out of the mud and dug out the tracks eachone weighed about 25kg and took half an hour to wash the mud off.

Perhaps good in sand

Waste of time in the sticky stuff

IME of course

S

goingbush
17th April 2014, 09:58 PM
you can fill hessian bags with mud, that might work, specially if you had enough of them you could build a bridge, hard work but better than walking. ( but you would not bother bringing them home. )

clubagreenie
27th April 2014, 12:09 PM
I got a set from these guys:

Grating FRP Australia - Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic Grating (http://www.gratingfrpaustralia.com.au/)

Fibreglass grating, yes they are weightier but I did get the larger 38mm stuff and also ended up with them coming from off cut stock so they are longer than usual. It's great stuff apart from the weight, they don't sink as much as you'd expect and for bridging it's excellent. Also gave me 4 smaller 300x300 pieces to use as hi-lift pads (so if anyone in Sydney needs/wants one let me know).

I know they're not for everyone but I do a bit by myself so they are perfect for a variety of uses (incl using as temp ramps to wok under the car).

clubagreenie
27th April 2014, 12:10 PM

Grating FRP Australia - Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic Grating (http://www.gratingfrpaustralia.com.au/)

Fibreglass grating, yes they are weightier but I did get the larger 38mm stuff and also ended up with them coming from off cut stock so they are longer than usual. It's great stuff apart from the weight, they don't sink as much as you'd expect and for bridging it's excellent. Also gave me 4 smaller 300x300 pieces to use as hi-lift pads (so if anyone in Sydney needs/wants one let me know).

I know they're not for everyone but I do a bit by myself so they are perfect for a variety of uses (incl using as temp ramps to work under the car).

joel0407
27th April 2014, 02:26 PM

I know they're not for everyone but I do a bit by myself so they are perfect for a variety of uses (incl using as temp ramps to wok under the car).

What was it worth, mate?

Happy Days

clubagreenie
28th April 2014, 05:44 AM
It was $180- for the two pieces, 300 x 1800 plus the pads and theres some steel joiners/bolts so they can be extended/joined. Delivery was free via the local rep (probably not likely in your neck of the woods).

gusthedog
28th April 2014, 08:06 AM
What was it worth, mate?

Happy Days

As I said earlier in the thread the composite bridging and recovery tracks are still on special for $110 at TUFF TRAXX 4WD BRIDGING AND RECOVERY TRACKS. Set of 2. JPMBL - VENTILATION VENTS TAX (http://specials.ventilation-vents.com.au/tuff-traxx-4wd-bridging-and-recovery-tracks-set-of-2-jpmbl/)

Graeme
28th April 2014, 04:07 PM

Fibreglass grating, yes they are weightier but I did get the larger 38mm stuff...How does their weight compare with the Tuff Traxx weighing 15kg for the 1.2m long pair?

weeds
28th April 2014, 06:04 PM
Just spent two weeks on Moreton Island..........never seen so many sets of MAXTRAX sitting on roof racks, it appears they are a standard accessory these days right along side the hi-lift jack, shovel and solar panel. MAXTRAX outnumbered the other brands by 15-1 easily........

Not one of the sets I seen looked like they have ever been used.

I only sore on car bogged, a 2014 hi lux extra cab driving in two wheel drive.

I too now have a set as I have started to tow the camper up beaches.........mine didn't get used either.

clubagreenie
28th April 2014, 06:08 PM
The 1200mm ones listed as tuff trax are listed as 20kg/pair. Extrapolating that would make 30kg/pair at 1800mm.

gusthedog
28th April 2014, 08:33 PM
How does their weight compare with the Tuff Traxx weighing 15kg for the 1.2m long pair?

Tuff traxx quote "7.5kg per pair." under product description in the link I posted.

Graeme
29th April 2014, 06:24 AM
Tuff traxx quote "7.5kg per pair." under product description in the link I posted.That vendor quotes that weight but the manufacturer states 7.5Kg each and the vendor charges delivery for a 20Kg package. The pair in their carry-bag certainly weigh a lot more than 7.5Kg but not quite that of a full jerry can.

clubagreenie
29th April 2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah, looking at the parent material sheet weight and calculating for cut down size 7.5 would be conservative to be nice & possibly based on 25mm material not the 38mm. I'll weigh mine tonight.

Graeme
29th April 2014, 04:48 PM
Mine are approx 75mm across 2 so approx 38mm each.

Redback
1st May 2014, 02:41 PM
As I said earlier in the thread the composite bridging and recovery tracks are still on special for $110 at TUFF TRAXX 4WD BRIDGING AND RECOVERY TRACKS. Set of 2. JPMBL - VENTILATION VENTS TAX (http://specials.ventilation-vents.com.au/tuff-traxx-4wd-bridging-and-recovery-tracks-set-of-2-jpmbl/)

Just got a set of these, made well, bit heavier than MAXTRAX at 20kg, don't know if they are though, could just the postage weight as you guys have mentioned, time will tell how good or bad they are I guess, $110 is a good price.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0506_zpsa57f3204.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0507_zpscbc5a8f4.jpg.html)

Baz.

Rickoz
1st May 2014, 06:56 PM
Just got a set of these, made well, bit heavier than MAXTRAX at 20kg, don't know if they are though, could just the postage weight as you guys have mentioned, time will tell how good or bad they are I guess, $110 is a good price. Baz.
The web page says 7.5Kg each one
How much was freight?, how did they sent it & where are TuffTrax?

weeds
1st May 2014, 07:07 PM
Just got a set of these, made well, bit heavier than MAXTRAX at 20kg, don't know if they are though, could just the postage weight as you guys have mentioned, time will tell how good or bad they are I guess, $110 is a good price.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/bazzar/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0506_zpsa57f3204.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0506_zpsa57f3204.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/bazzar/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0507_zpscbc5a8f4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/Disco%204%20Amarok%20Mods/IMG_0507_zpscbc5a8f4.jpg.html)

Baz.

How thick are they Baz??

I have a set...without the bag and a set of maxtrax, neither have been used. I used he fiberglass one at Cooma as a set of ramps......I find them rough on our hands bit reckon they would preform pretty good.

kelvo
4th May 2014, 09:16 PM
Just be mindful that the fibre glass ones can and do start to splinter, so make sure you have some decent gloves when using them.

If used in mud they end up five times their original weight...

On the plus side the thicker ones can be used as bridging ladders.

goingbush
12th May 2014, 10:19 PM
Wishful thinking - the young fella holding the maxtrax :o

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/05/760.jpg

FeatherWeightDriver
13th May 2014, 10:27 PM

He would have been ok with the Treds then? Oh, I see... ;):D:wasntme:

Probably only a time machine would get them out of that mess easily / cleanly / cheaply

87County
14th May 2014, 08:34 AM

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/05/760.jpg

great pic, by the look of the sand the tide may be going out so there is just a remote chance that they got it out

but generally speaking, each wave just seems to settle the wheels a bit deeper

workingonit
14th May 2014, 11:03 AM
Following up on Clubagreenie's lead I've just bought 3 pair of these (to double as bed frame in Troop Carrier).

FRP Non-Slip Mats for 4 Wheel Drive Vehicles - Grating FRP Australia (http://www.gratingfrpaustralia.com.au/products/recreational-aids.html)

Spoke to Ken. Asking $140 per set but when I told him about Tuff Traxx special the price dropped to $110 a set. Freight to Darwin included for two pair (ordered a third set some minutes after hanging up). They are 30mm (vs 38 for Tuff) but Ken says they have local club try them out with no issues.

S3ute
14th May 2014, 11:19 AM
Hello from Brisbane.

Read a South African 4 X 4 mag last month that did a pretty thorough test on a wide range of mats and sand ladders. These are of interest over there given the typical driving conditions in Namibia, Botswana and the republic itself.

Most of the units that were tested were just OK and a lot were judged to be near u/s.

However, the two Australian brands that were tested performed the best, including for bridging washouts as pairs - from memory it was the Maxtrax that came out best overall. The aluminium planking type tracks that are popular there tended to bend under weight when used for bridging and the really flexible stuff typically got buried in sand or mud.

Cheers,

jackiec
19th May 2014, 05:45 PM
try waffle board style, much stronger.

clubagreenie
19th May 2014, 08:33 PM
I can't ever remember seeing maxtrax being recommended for bridging.

kelvo
20th May 2014, 09:29 PM
I can't ever remember seeing maxtrax being recommended for bridging.

I thought that, just checked their website

"Q: Can I use MAXTRAX as a ramp to load my quad bike onto a trailer?
A: MAXTRAX are not meant to be used as bridge or a ramp but should easily handle the weight of a quad bike when used with care."

jackiec
21st May 2014, 06:26 PM
Saw waffle style traction board used for bridging on youtube, only down side is they are very heavy.

Chops
21st May 2014, 08:01 PM
The fibreglass matting should be fairly readily available one would think, and cheap too. This could also be purchased from recyclers too I think. Sort of wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

We ended up getting Treads, as you can bridge with these, but not the MaxTrax. $100 cheaper too ;)

jackiec
22nd May 2014, 10:49 AM
I've been looking for them but cant find any at reasonable price.

Disco Muppet
22nd May 2014, 01:07 PM
We ended up getting Treads, as you can bridge with these, but not the MaxTrax. $100 cheaper too ;)

I'd bridge with the MaxTrax before I bridged with Treads, but that's just me :cool:

clubagreenie
22nd May 2014, 01:12 PM
What if you foam filled them? Being hollow it'd have to add some rigidity to it.

S3ute
3rd June 2014, 11:12 AM
Hello from Brisbane.

Read a South African 4 X 4 mag last month that did a pretty thorough test on a wide range of mats and sand ladders......................

....from memory it was the Maxtrax that came out best overall.

Hello again from Brisbane.

I happened to be re-reading the SA 4X4 mag the other night and it was the Maxtrax units that came out as judged best overall, including for a bridging test (one wheel going over a stacked pair).

Anyway, if there is any interest, and it doesn't contravene some copyright law, I could scan the article and post it up here. The testing was pretty rigorous from what I saw of it.

Cheers,

Bushy049
6th June 2014, 09:57 AM
These are a maxtrax copy I carry in my work Ute, got them from my local supplier of "Iron man " products $190 as you can see they been field trialled and work well far cheaper than the genuine item

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using AULRO mobile app

Bushy049
6th June 2014, 09:58 AM
Hmm won't upload photo I'll try later

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using AULRO mobile app

Redback
12th June 2014, 08:55 AM
The web page says 7.5Kg each one
How much was freight?, how did they sent it & where are TuffTrax?

15kg for both, Aust Post, frieght was $40 and are in QLD

How thick are they Baz??

I have a set...without the bag and a set of maxtrax, neither have been used. I used he fiberglass one at Cooma as a set of ramps......I find them rough on our hands bit reckon they would preform pretty good.

2" approx

I used them over the weekend, but not as traction aids, but for level ground for jacking the Amarok up to change a broken rim.

Baz.

rrturboD
12th June 2014, 09:11 AM
I have had a set of TuffTrax for a couple of years, used in sand, getting up muddy/clay slope, levelling camper, and bridging washaway. They live on the front of my camper or on roof rack. Agree you need gloves to handle, but at less than $200, pretty versatile. I went for them initially as envisioned bridging advantage, and they made the washaway pretty easy.

scarry
22nd June 2014, 01:13 PM
Where you have 2 vehicles badly bogged,obviously a difficult situation,sure they would come in handy.

But i have never needed them,and as others have said,something else to pack in and carry on a trip that may not get used.

i have done heaps of trips to Fraser and moreton,Old tele track up and back twice,Simpson twice,and never needed them.

In sand,i find a long handled shovel the best.
And with the D4,it goes into super extended once on its belly, easier to get the shovel underneath if you do get into trouble,which is pretty rare.

Gonna eat my words here:(

Saw a couple of guys bogged badly a few weekends back in very soft sand,LC trayback towing a HUGE boat on a four wheeled trailer.All tyres were at 10psi.The max tracks were fantastic.
If they didn't have them i recon they would still be there.Even with a bit of digging,under just the front wheels they helped.These guys were experienced and had done this sort of thing before

The vehicle had front and rear lockers.

Pity they can't be hired as many people would only need them once or twice a year.
After seeing these guys,i wouldn't go to somewhere like Fraser with out a set,particularly if towing.

Redback
26th June 2014, 12:09 PM
Gonna eat my words here:(

Saw a couple of guys bogged badly a few weekends back in very soft sand,LC trayback towing a HUGE boat on a four wheeled trailer.All tyres were at 10psi.The max tracks were fantastic.
If they didn't have them i recon they would still be there.Even with a bit of digging,under just the front wheels they helped.These guys were experienced and had done this sort of thing before

The vehicle had front and rear lockers.

Pity they can't be hired as many people would only need them once or twice a year.
After seeing these guys,i wouldn't go to somewhere like Fraser with out a set,particularly if towing.

One of the reasons I got ours, I tow all the time when away and have been in some places where I could have used them, so it was time to get a set.

Although now that I have a set, probably won't ever use them now:rolleyes:

Baz.

scarry
28th June 2014, 07:42 PM
Saw a set today tied onto the spare tyre on an LC Ambulance.
Wouldn't want to leave that outside at night,good chance they would disappear.:o