PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed life.

Will Wallace
13th May 2014, 10:00 PM
Hey all,

What is the accepted life of the 6 speed in the disco 3?

Dad is getting his rebuilt at the moment.

Better now than half way up the Tele Track they are due on in 5 weeks.

Will.

TerryO
14th May 2014, 01:57 AM
Are you saying he is getting it rebuilt as a precaution rather than because its stuffed?

Will Wallace
14th May 2014, 11:09 AM
There was dirty oil and a lot of metal filings in there when he took it in to get serviced.

It had a bit of a clunk when taking up drive out of a corner.

Will.

JamesH
14th May 2014, 01:41 PM
Gosh.

How many kays and what year model is it? I don't like to think of a gearbox rebuild being necessary on any D4 at this stage. Service and flush, fair enough but a rebuild?

What are they made of? Souffle?

Redback
14th May 2014, 01:47 PM
It should last the life of the car I should think, as long as it is serviced (flush) every 60,000 to 80,000ks.

Baz.

Will Wallace
14th May 2014, 06:14 PM
It should last the life of the car I should think, as long as it is serviced (flush) every 60,000 to 80,000ks.

Baz.

I would love for anything to last the life of a vehicle, but that just does not happen. Everything wears. They are having their lower control arms replaced too.
By the way it is a 2005, has 195k on it and has done the last 60 odd towing a Kimberly/ track trailer with a lot of gear.

Will.

zilch
14th May 2014, 07:56 PM
i thought the ZF gearboxes were pretty good and should last quite a few
hundred thou K's, i know personally that the sealed for life message got replaced with the flush about every 80 to 100K KM's, had it done on my old sport

Cheers

Jim

Will Wallace
14th May 2014, 08:51 PM
i thought the ZF gearboxes were pretty good and should last quite a few
hundred thou K's, i know personally that the sealed for life message got replaced with the flush about every 80 to 100K KM's, had it done on my old sport

Cheers

Jim

When was the sealed for life thing replaced with sensibility?

The guys at Emanuel tranny's seem to think that they don't have the best life span.

Be grateful though. Ford would charge twice the amount for the same parts they said.

Will

zilch
14th May 2014, 09:22 PM
Bizarre as the ZF gearbox is actually the most common tool in most manufacturers gearbox as they say, so why would you deem it a LR problem ???

I purchased my first Sport in 2006 and was informed by the UK forums such as D3 and rrsport that most dealers in the UK had been informed to start changing the transmission fluid around 2008/2009 and not go with the sealed for life approach, i am not sure but there may have been a LR instruction on it as well.

I noticed when i had my done that that the gear change smoothed out once again, and less shunt characteristics when changing up. Trouble was to do a proper flush would need the body off/gearbox out and change the filter, so many have avoided this and just gone for a straight fluid change, rather than 2 x transmission fluid flush/replace...

NomadicD3
14th May 2014, 09:42 PM
Hi Will,
195k not bad!!! Mine was rebuilt at 165k. Ex Sydney car that I had bought at 90k had the flush at 125k and still got very clunky and a bad delay when shifting from neutral to drive. Rebuild is also an upgrade of a few components that should make it last a lot longer the second time round.
HOWEVER--Here is my advice. Before you or your dad drive out of the workshop, take the time to crawl under the vehicle and check the turbo crossover pipe mounting brackets. There are 3 of them and the one at the 12 o'clock position is all to often being left off after the gearbox rebuilds. Apparently its a PITA to reinstall and very difficult to see. If however it is not in place the turbo crossover pipe WILL eventually break. Repair bill--- between $2500 and $5000 depending on who you got to for the repair. It happened on mine after 4mths/12000k and 8 months later I'm still in discussions with the repairer over compensation.
Hope your trip to the tip goes well but make sure that bracket is there before you leave.

101RRS
14th May 2014, 10:07 PM
Trouble was to do a proper flush would need the body off/gearbox out and change the filter, so many have avoided this and just gone for a straight fluid change, rather than 2 x transmission fluid flush/replace...

The gearbox has never been sealed for life but close to it - 250,000km or 10 years or earlier in arduous conditions such as commuter driving, towing etc.

To do a proper flush the gearbox does not need to come out or the body off - just disconnect the oil cooler pipers at the oil cooler and pump in the new oil and suck the old oil out - after you have of course replaced the plastic transmission sump with a metal one.

Garry

zilch
15th May 2014, 06:41 PM
The gearbox has never been sealed for life but close to it - 250,000km or 10 years or earlier in arduous conditions such as commuter driving, towing etc Garry

10 years for a modern Landie, that is about the lifetime isn't it :wasntme: :) but seriously they did change the recommendation, and a few people commented Gary that just sucking it out without flushing may leave residue behind.. Mine was done in the way you state, basically drained and filled, no flush.. Not sure about doing this on the MY10 yet, maybe the transfer box and diffs before the big adventure

101RRS
15th May 2014, 11:30 PM
I just did my transfer case and both diffs at 80,000kms - tfr case and rear diff oils were Ok but the front diff with its 600 odd mls of oil had definitely been working hard - so I would get them done - not a hard job.

Garry

Rich84
16th May 2014, 08:28 AM
Bizarre as the ZF gearbox is actually the most common tool in most manufacturers gearbox as they say, so why would you deem it a LR problem ???

I purchased my first Sport in 2006 and was informed by the UK forums such as D3 and rrsport that most dealers in the UK had been informed to start changing the transmission fluid around 2008/2009 and not go with the sealed for life approach, i am not sure but there may have been a LR instruction on it as well.

I noticed when i had my done that that the gear change smoothed out once again, and less shunt characteristics when changing up. Trouble was to do a proper flush would need the body off/gearbox out and change the filter, so many have avoided this and just gone for a straight fluid change, rather than 2 x transmission fluid flush/replace...

Don't need the body off for a proper flush - it can be done through the trans cooler lines, then just a standard level check at the end. The pan/filter is easy enough to change with 1/4" tools.