PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - 6x6 G-Wagen last night

AnD3rew
23rd May 2014, 10:22 AM
Anybody else looking under the sofa cushions to see if they could find a misplaced million bucks or so under there after watching that?

kenleyfred
23rd May 2014, 10:42 AM
Very nice wasn't it. Did Hammond say they only built two?
Kenley

DiscoMick
23rd May 2014, 10:48 AM
Very flash, but it would drink lots of the juice.

87County
23rd May 2014, 11:25 AM
At least they acknowledged the ADF connection.

101RRS
23rd May 2014, 12:14 PM
At least they acknowledged the ADF connection.

What connection - other than both are 6x6 - our 6x6 and that 6x6 are completely different as far as the 6x6 suspension system is concerned.

It is good to see the Puch G which was the replacement vehicle for the Haflinger being developed to such a high state of performance.

Most are certainly still built by Puch (now Magna Steyr) in Austria with MB badges put on them.

cheers

Garry

solmanic
23rd May 2014, 12:46 PM
I unfortunately, cannot add anything here as I am in danger of being banned. :angel:

87County
23rd May 2014, 01:13 PM
What connection - other than both are 6x6 - our 6x6 and that 6x6 are completely different as far as the 6x6 suspension system is concerned.

It is good to see the Puch G which was the replacement vehicle for the Haflinger being developed to such a high state of performance.

Most are certainly still built by Puch (now Magna Steyr) in Austria with MB badges put on them.

cheers

Garry

Cheers to you too Garry, I cannot recall the actual tg script, but the inference in Hammond's script was that MB had built the subject GWagen as an extension of their Oz work/effort on the 6X6 - if you're interested enough why don't you watch it on a catchup - it's only the last 15min or so of the show.

An obvious downside to the vehicle that was the subject of the show was that there was nowhere to put the spare wheel - it just sat in the tray.

I wouldn't have even recorded it except for the promo that had shown the MB cresting some fairly steep sand dunes - and there was little enough of that shown. Just confirms that any good clips are already shown on the promos anyway.

87County
23rd May 2014, 01:14 PM
I unfortunately, cannot add anything here as I am in danger of being banned. :angel:

surely they let you off that sooner or later ? :)

Disco_owner
23rd May 2014, 02:05 PM
In case anyone missed the show , I found a Link you may be interested .

Car review: Mercedes-Benz G-Class 6x6 driven - road test - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-benz/g-class/road-test/6x6-driven)

:twisted:

nat_89
23rd May 2014, 03:06 PM
I was lookin around thinking the same thing where in the world can I get one of them and the money to afford it what an awesome machine that would be oh lower the tyres press re inflate press that was cool and the power it had unreal I want one!!

jboot51
23rd May 2014, 05:52 PM
The tyre drone would be horrendous.
You'd hear it from miles away.
Wading through the water park, now that's TopGear awesomeness.

If you watched the full episode, did you also notice the Chatham sports cars used LR front indicators and park lights.
They'd be the quickest LR blinkers on the planet.

snowbound
23rd May 2014, 07:05 PM
Damn. I was at SES training, the only show I watch and it has to be on a blinkin Thursday! Will try to google it :(

FeatherWeightDriver
23rd May 2014, 07:21 PM
In case you missed it, the beast runs portals on all 3 axles.

Like it needs it with 35" stock sized tyres... :o

Sirocco
23rd May 2014, 07:25 PM
If you want to mimic the look buy yourself a set of Tibus portal axle conversions and install the CTIS on your 110/130, looks great for a fraction of the cost.

...You wont have the power though ;)

G

nat_89
23rd May 2014, 07:52 PM
If you want to mimic the look buy yourself a set of Tibus portal axle conversions and install the CTIS on your 110/130, looks great for a fraction of the cost.

G

Haha there is only a small power difference I'm guessing between the defenders 2.4L 4cyl turbo diesel and the AMGs 5.5L V8 twin turbo petrol i could be wrong hahaha

AnD3rew
23rd May 2014, 09:33 PM
In case you missed it, the beast runs portals on all 3 axles.

Like it needs it with 35" stock sized tyres... :o

I think they were actually 37"

AnD3rew
23rd May 2014, 09:42 PM
Kenley

He did say that, but Wikipedia says 100.

FeatherWeightDriver
24th May 2014, 07:19 AM
I think they were actually 37"

What's 2 inches between friends? ;)

V8Ian
24th May 2014, 07:40 AM
Kenley
I thought he said two had been sold, four built. How old is the episode?

uninformed
24th May 2014, 08:37 AM

G

or not... the Tibus protals have not proven to be all that reliable when doing outback and offroading kms

AnD3rew
24th May 2014, 11:45 AM
Also has 5 diff lockers all separately operable.

Sirocco
24th May 2014, 01:38 PM
or not... the Tibus protals have not proven to be all that reliable when doing outback and offroading kms

I did say looks, not performance ;)

I dont think portals are any good for touring anyway, not really necessary.

rover-56
24th May 2014, 03:44 PM
Good viewing, but I don't believe Hammond was driving in all those shots.
Terry

discovery39
24th May 2014, 04:18 PM
Terry

Why??

87County
24th May 2014, 04:54 PM
Why??

probably because his insurance company wouldn't allow it

AnD3rew
24th May 2014, 07:00 PM
Terry

I don't believe the shot with the G-lander airborne cresting a dune was really the beginning of the descent down that insane huge vertical dune face, the would be suicide to approach the descent like that.

Hammond was clearly driving for most of it, he might not have really done that descent.

jonesfam
25th May 2014, 03:45 PM

rover-56
26th May 2014, 01:51 PM
I don't believe the shot with the G-lander airborne cresting a dune was really the beginning of the descent down that insane huge vertical dune face, the would be suicide to approach the descent like that.

Hammond was clearly driving for most of it, he might not have really done that descent.

Yes it was that shot that had me wondering.

He is probably still a better driver than me though:)
Terry