PDA

View Full Version : What is this? What does this mean?

rathgar
28th May 2014, 02:42 PM
I have 2 questions about my 1991 FFR that I would be grateful for any answers;

Firstly - What is this? (The tubular thing fixed to a bracket on the rear chassis)

Secondly - What does the marking on the doors mean? Seems to have spent most of its life around Bribane - Bulimba, Banyo and 7CSSB.

Thanks in advance.

Barefoot Dave
28th May 2014, 03:37 PM
G'Day Rathgar and dwelcome to the Perentie club :)
Q1: That is the convoy light. when you engage Reduced or Blackout lights, it shines a low lux beam onto the white painted diff to assist with vehicles following you in tactical conditions. Sometime it is actually effective unless there is dust around. Which is, of course, almost everywhere!

Q2:'Chook' is military slang for a Signaller. As with most derogatory terms, the recipients were it as a badge.
So, this vehicle belonged to a Signals unit. details will be in your GM120 Log book.
I hope this helps.

rathgar
28th May 2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dave

I figured that the chook was for a signaler. But have looked at many photos of 110 FFR's and have not seen another. How do I work out the unit? I can understand who serviced it and where it was. The record of transfer only has one entry Unit Designation - VEH COY BNE LOG BN (the last 5 letters are hard to read)