PDA

View Full Version : Daihatsu Terios...........

jerryd
18th June 2014, 04:59 PM
Has anybody got one ?? Had one ?? Good ?? Bad??

I was thinking of getting one for my lad who's just got his learners licence, I purchased a Subaru Brumby for him but he's a bit too big for it :eek: I noticed that there seems to be more legroom in these and they seem to go in the mud too :)

terios off road - YouTube

Saitch
18th June 2014, 05:17 PM
Jerry
We were at L/Cruiser Park a quite a few years ago & I was quite impressed where a bloke took his. His only comment was about side slope stability, being so narrow!
Steve

loanrangie
18th June 2014, 05:31 PM
No, horrible little car. If my dad bought me one i'd neck him :o.

Kev the Fridgy
18th June 2014, 05:46 PM
A lady friend of mine had one, if hers was anything to go by stay well away from them, if the price is cheap expect problems, a TDI D1 would be a reasonable choice IMHO

jerryd
18th June 2014, 05:49 PM
No, horrible little car. If my dad bought me one i'd neck him :o.

Well there's gratitude for you :D:D

jonesfam
18th June 2014, 05:56 PM
My wife had 1 for several years, she loved it.
They are quite sporty to drive, go pretty well for a 1.3, & you can fit a lot in them.
Problems, uncomfortable on a long drive, the dash is very close & I bashed my fingers thinking I had further to reach, not much else, very reliable.
We gave it to our daughter & she also loved it till her boyfriend rolled it, they are very skinny & top heavy.
Fun car though.
Jonesfam

101RRS
18th June 2014, 05:59 PM
My Dad bought me a car when I was 18 without my consultation - was a Morris 1300 auto when I had Mazda R100 in mind - I offloaded the heap of crap a few months later and Daddy could not understand.

I am with Loanrangie on this one - if you bought me a Terios you would not be my favourite Dad.

Discuss with son first and then buy what is likely to be appreciated.

Garry

robbotd5
18th June 2014, 06:04 PM
What's wrong with a D1??
Regards
Robbo

Saitch
18th June 2014, 06:09 PM
What is your next question, Jerry???

jerryd
18th June 2014, 06:24 PM
It has to be a cheap reliable run around and economical too :)

I think if I bought a Disco for the same money it would need a rebuild :wasntme:

I run a Suzuki Carry Van for work and it's so reliable it's hard to believe :) I've covered 70,000k's in it (flat out everywhere) and it's only been in the garage for a blocked radiator and the odd oil change. It hardly drinks fuel either.

ramblingboy42
18th June 2014, 06:26 PM
don't you know?

it's for the woman who likes to be in top.

after that advertising , I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

discovery39
18th June 2014, 06:33 PM
Zuki Vitara. Long or short, both excellent.:)

gromit
18th June 2014, 07:27 PM
The wife ran one some years ago, purchased new.
Bit of a girlie car but, as already mentioned, it went OK for a 1.3.
Used for the school run and the odd longer trip after about 4 years the only thing apart from servicing was a radio replaced under warranty.

Colin

NobbyTD5
18th June 2014, 08:12 PM
I would recommend checking the safety stats on these
you can google this
I recall that they had a poor safety record/rating perhaps due to the width/height etc
worth a check
Nobby

PAT303
18th June 2014, 08:53 PM
The engine spins at 4K at highway speeds,around town it might be alright. Pat

Benz
18th June 2014, 09:20 PM
I would go for a Suzuki Jimny over one of those but I'm a little biased.
I owned a jimny for a few years. Loved the thing but did come close to rolling it a few times though :angel:

oh and those little engines love to rev. They will happily do 4K at 110 kph all day. Certainly nothing to worry about

blue_mini
18th June 2014, 10:57 PM
Ill let you know how they take being thrashed across 1/3 of the globe once ive been to Mongolia.
This is mine...
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/06/571.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/user/beststig/media/P1010102_zps46166b22.jpg.html)

lebanon
19th June 2014, 03:28 AM
We took one for a ride in the mountains, the poor little thing suffered uphill, the 1.3 didn't have enough power.

The cars offers a tiny space inside so big people will be squeezed.

jerryd
19th June 2014, 05:09 AM
Lots of different opinions then :)
Don't forget it's a "cheap $2k car" for a 16 year old to learn to drive in, the fact it can go in the mud occasionally is an added bonus.

We'll go and have a look at one and go from there

What he really wants is a "Toyota Ute" :eek:

digger
19th June 2014, 07:08 AM
Don't forget it's a "cheap $2k car" for a 16 year old to learn to drive in, the fact it can go in the mud occasionally is an added bonus.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/06/568.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/06/569.jpg

http://www.4x4part.com.au/files/user_uploaded/N661_1499a.jpg

theyre out there!!!

but seriously, he should take what he gets and be greatful!!

you can get a mightyboy for $2k! (thats a ute)

Benz
19th June 2014, 08:41 PM

Hmm yeah the jimnys hold their value.
I'm sure the terrios will be a fine first car.

For 2k your going to get a verry rusty clapped out toyota ute... maybe a slightly better 2wd one.
Haha you could get him a carolla... I'm sure he would love one of those.

Rurover
19th June 2014, 09:00 PM
A friend of mine owns one (bought it a few months ago) and he has to travel on country roads a fair bit.
He finds it a real pain to travel long distances because it's geared too low and at 100km per hour it's revving pretty fast.

I'd suggest it could be good for urban use or short distance rural used or off road, but not much good for medium to long distance travel on the open road.

Still, if you want the vehicle to prevent your son from "lairising" and speeding, then the Terios seems ideal!

Alan

Chivalry
21st June 2014, 07:00 PM
If he is interested in cars (which sounds like a possibility), definitely worth looking at something he likes that needs a bit of TLC so you can also teach him a few things about cars. First car yes, it will get dents etc yes, but if he genuinely loved his first car he probably would not treat it like a "first car". There's quite a lot of 'cooler' cars than a Terios on Gumtree in the Brisbane region which would reward you with a genuine 'thanks dad!'.

If you only care for cheap/reliable/economical/disposable then you'd just have to let him suffer with an automatic Charade or similar. That definitely won't get you a 'thanks dad!'...

ADMIRAL
21st June 2014, 08:50 PM
Has anybody got one ?? Had one ?? Good ?? Bad??

I was thinking of getting one for my lad who's just got his learners licence, I purchased a Subaru Brumby for him but he's a bit too big for it :eek: I noticed that there seems to be more legroom in these and they seem to go in the mud too :)

terios off road - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1z4AeI-Mxk)

You won't want to try and add basic 4wd type upgrades. There is absolutely nothing available for them. Parts of any type will be an issue. There were just not enough sold in Oz to justify making bits for them.

clubagreenie
21st June 2014, 09:09 PM
You WILL NOT get a RS5X or RT5X ute for 2K, more like 25K for the crown and 30+ for the corona.

But anything else isn't a toyota ute.

Grumbles
22nd June 2014, 08:21 AM
Perhaps steer him down the Commodore road. These are cheap, fairly economical, generally reliable and have a fair bit of metal surrounding the driver.

Eg. A recent private sale by a guy I know. Mid 1990s Berlina which was babied from new, had only 120 thou on the clock sold with RWC for $3G. Good cars for not much money are around if you look for them.

jerryd
2nd September 2014, 09:26 PM
If he is interested in cars (which sounds like a possibility), definitely worth looking at something he likes that needs a bit of TLC so you can also teach him a few things about cars. First car yes, it will get dents etc yes, but if he genuinely loved his first car he probably would not treat it like a "first car". There's quite a lot of 'cooler' cars than a Terios on Gumtree in the Brisbane region which would reward you with a genuine 'thanks dad!'.

If you only care for cheap/reliable/economical/disposable then you'd just have to let him suffer with an automatic Charade or similar. That definitely won't get you a 'thanks dad!'...

Time for an update ...... I purchased this for him but I think it's way too good, might have to keep it for me :D

But I did get a "thanks dad" ;)

clubagreenie
3rd September 2014, 04:21 PM
Are you open to adoptions?