PDA

View Full Version : driving lights isolator switch, type and location?

winaje
23rd June 2014, 01:18 PM
Hi all. Can I please get some advice on the best isolator switch to use for my driving lights, especially one that is elegant and unobtrusive? I currently have a genuine cruise switch with a different face in the left hand binnacle of the D2, wanting something that looks as original as possible...

Thanks

sniegy
23rd June 2014, 06:44 PM
Will, the factory spot for driving lights involves cutting a hole in the dash.
(Just left of the binnacle) there is a kit for it & can bordered as a separate piece now.
The blanks you see cannot be used as everything behind those panels are ecu's.

The only other spots some of the guys have used is in the steering cowl, in the panel under the steering wheel & have seen some use the panel where the hand brake is.
HTH Good luck.

Cheers

zilch
23rd June 2014, 07:19 PM
just had a switch fitted just under the main / fog light binnacle as most of the switches are part of a broader unit so its not easy to mount within the exact area where the light switches are themselves, OL did a good job and provided a nice flat toggle switch that does not look out of place and is situated on the downward curve of the dash below the light switches.. will try and get a picture tomorrow when its light

BigJon
23rd June 2014, 08:14 PM
The driving light switch in my Vogue is in the glovebox. I am legally required to have the switch, but I never turn it off. The car prior to the Vogue was a Subaru, I mounted the switch behind the fuse box cover.

winaje
23rd June 2014, 08:26 PM
Will, the factory spot for driving lights involves cutting a hole in the dash.
(Just left of the binnacle) there is a kit for it & can bordered as a separate piece now.
The blanks you see cannot be used as everything behind those panels are ecu's.

Cheers

Thanks Pete, can you please give me a part number for the genuine kit?

letherm
23rd June 2014, 09:09 PM
Hi, mine was placed alongside the lights dial. I have a D4 so I'm not sure whether this would be suitable for you. The wire runs into the steering wheel recess.

Here's a picture. It's a stick on switch.

Martin

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/06/366.jpg

discojools
24th June 2014, 08:16 AM
My switch is on the left hand side of the steering cowl on my D4. Looks neat. Relatively easy to get off to drill hole.

Discojools

jonesy63
26th June 2014, 12:55 PM
My switch is on the left hand side of the steering cowl on my D4. Looks neat. Relatively easy to get off to drill hole.

Discojools

Oh no you don't! Well, without photos you don't! :D

discojools
26th June 2014, 04:08 PM
Here you go then...Crikey I need to have a bit of a clean round that area!

idrabble
27th June 2014, 09:28 AM
Anything in here that would suit?

Extreme 4x4 Ltd LED SWITCH ROCKERS (http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/LED_SWITCH_ROCKERS.html)