PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre screech on starting- MY12 3.0

lpj
2nd July 2014, 12:45 AM
Hello Gentlemen and others,

It's happened 3 times now. I get in the car, foot on brake and push the start button. An almighty screech from (what sounds like) the starter motor. It sounds similar to what you'd hear when trying to "key start" a car when the motor's already idling.

Not sure if it's a case of brake not depressed enough (or a brake switch issue), or the starter motor is "slipping" and not getting enough bite?? (technical explanation, I know). It's really loud and doesn't sound very good.

Trip to the dealer? Problem is it doesn't happen every time but has happened 3 times in the past week.

Thoughts?

LPJ

winaje
2nd July 2014, 07:13 AM
If it's intermittent I'd keep videoing your start ups until you get it a couple of times then take the vids and car to the dealer.

Redback
2nd July 2014, 07:18 AM
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it's the EPB(handbrake) it could be not fully engaging and when you start the car, it is trying to engage.

OR

Slipping serpentine belt.

Baz

Graeme
2nd July 2014, 08:51 AM
If its just after the engine starts then perhaps the serpentine belt is slipping or there's a failing idler pulley bearing. If its before the engine turns over then its the starter motor.

lpj
2nd July 2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks all. Ill keep a closer listen out to try to determine the exact timing of it.

Either way the dealer will have to sort it out, but I'd rather give them more information to assist in their "diagnosis"

stray dingo
3rd July 2014, 02:38 PM
I've heard similar in other cars starting, and then disappears until next start. Usually loose belts as Graeme suggested.
Maybe power steering pump - but would probably repeat turning lock to lock, not just start up. (?)

lpj
3rd July 2014, 05:36 PM
It happened again today. It lasts for about a second, and is very loud.

After letting the start button go and pausing for a second, it starts as normal. On that second attempted start, there seems to definite clunk of the starter motor engaging that I think was missing the on the first attempt.

The idea of recording each start, while a nuisance, may well be the best way to diagnose it.

I'll keep you posted.

clubagreenie
3rd July 2014, 05:52 PM
I'd say from that description it's the starter gear spinning before it's engaged in the ring gear teeth. That's a more metallic screech than the squeal from a loose belt as the gear is spinning on the surface of the plate. If there's an inspection port on the bell housing and you can see the ring teeth you could see any marks. Also if pulling the starter (you could see the ring gear definately then) you'd see corresponding marks or damage to the gear in the starter.

lpj
4th July 2014, 08:18 PM
Looks like I'm off to the dealer anyway, so I'll get them to check it out.
Cascading faults tonight so I might start another thread

lpj
7th July 2014, 02:43 PM
Just an update in case anyone is interested. The dealer just rang. They are replacing the starter motor and the brake light switch, so we'll see how it goes.

FYI, It got more frequent on the weekend, culminating with me getting stuck down the bottom of the block while trying to retrieve some piles of wood I cut a few years ago. Not only was the started motor playing up but I got all sorts of transmission errors, including "special programs not available"

Lessons learned:
1. Don't drive don't the bottom of the block with a dodgy starter motor.
2. Don't drive down the bottom of the block without walking it first to really see how soft and muddy it is!!
3. Hard reset can get you out of a very difficult situation!

lpj
25th July 2014, 02:34 PM
After having a new starter motor installed a few weeks back under warranty, to my surprise I started getting the screaming sound from time to time again on start up. I'm thinking "oh no, here we go".

My wife is saying "that car seems to have a lot of problems!!"

Anyway, I take it back to the dealer and suggest that it could be the ring gear. Sure enough, they call me this morning and are replacing the ring gear(part to be flown down from Sydney)

It now seems I have a brand new starter motor that really wasn't required. Glad I'm not paying for it!

clubagreenie
30th July 2014, 06:08 PM
Tell then you want the original back.

lpj
31st July 2014, 12:14 AM
It was 2 weeks ago now, so it may be past that. Are you suggesting I keep for a spare or that a spare

clubagreenie
31st July 2014, 08:20 AM
Yes, a spare. Why not they can only say no and it was yours. purchased with the car.