PDA

View Full Version : His & Her's Discos ...Expensive lesson Learned

TerryO
7th July 2014, 04:09 PM
Well I may have made a expensive mistake on the weekend. The Range Rover Club, which I'm a member of, held one of their excellent Introductory Off Road Driver Training courses at Lidsdale State forest on Sunday and as I was assisting with the training I decided to get the better half to take part. Why? so worst case scenario she would have the basic skills and confidence of being able to drive out any time in the future if I couldn't for what ever reason.

So how did she go? ....like a duck to bloody water and she enjoyed it that much I couldn't get her out of the bloody thing at the end of the day.

If her new found enthusiasm for off road driving holds up then there will soon have to be a similar spec either D3 or D4 added to the collection just so I actually will get a chance to have a decent drive when we go off roading. .... :(

Tombie
7th July 2014, 04:21 PM
Yup! Took my wife out years ago..
Since then she has had a selection of 4wdrives, including our highly modded D2 and now awaits her new D90...

I don't think we've gone on a 4wd trip in 15 years in just 1 vehicle..

FeatherWeightDriver
7th July 2014, 04:30 PM
What's not to love? BYO recovery vehicle, but I dare not suggest who will be on the pointy end... :angel:

LandyAndy
7th July 2014, 08:06 PM
Mine had a classic Rangie with a tough 4.6 and lockers(RichardK's old toy),replaced it with an Xtreme Deefer.She also has a turbo territory AWD ghia for city trips.
Unfortunately for her she cant drive since her brain bleed back in March.We were going to sell the Deefer when she got the Territory,then she decided she wanted to keep her gardeners shed(the Deefer,she works as a school gardener).I agreed,couldnt bear the thought of whipper snippers and gardeners gear getting thrown on those loverly leather chairs.
Andrew

TerryO
7th July 2014, 08:49 PM
On the bright side this new found enthusiasm by my better half could provide a very good reason (excuse) for me to get a D4 and then I could generously give her the D3. ...:p

Just hope now she doesn't want to join Aulro or I really could be in the crapper. ... ;)

LandyAndy
7th July 2014, 08:59 PM
Best send Inc a PM and morf yourself into somebody else before it happens.
O Teerine ;););););)
Andrew

SBD4
7th July 2014, 09:11 PM
On the bright side this new found enthusiasm by my better half could provide a very good reason (excuse) for me to get a D4 and then I could generously give her the D3. ...:p

Just hope now she doesn't want to join Aulro or I really could be in the crapper. ... ;)

I think you will have a problem there Terry, she will want the D4....

winaje
7th July 2014, 09:31 PM
I think you will have a problem there Terry, she will want the D4....

Exactly what I instantly thought too, lol

cripesamighty
7th July 2014, 10:40 PM
My BIL and sister bought a late model D4 and he rarely gets a drive as she has claimed it!

Bytemrk
7th July 2014, 11:56 PM
Glad my missus has a company car... :twisted:

...... Might keep the spare to the D4 well hidden just in case :angel:

Graeme
8th July 2014, 06:18 AM
Might keep .... the D4 well hidden just in case

theresanothersteve
8th July 2014, 07:13 AM
In our house the D3 belongs to the missus...

At one stage we both had D1s, in fact it was my D1 that converted her.

Now she wants a D4:eek:

AndyG
8th July 2014, 07:21 AM
Go the whole hog & get her a Olive drab Unimog

Hopefully she wont like it and you will have to drive it.

p38arover
8th July 2014, 07:43 AM
Not a problem for me. My wife absolutely refuses to go off road, she hates the feel of it (unless she's on a horse).

She won't even drive the Rangie.

scarry
8th July 2014, 09:17 AM
My BIL and sister bought a late model D4 and he rarely gets a drive as she has claimed it!

Same here,until she once got it well and truly bogged then it became mine for a couple of hours.
It was brand new at the time and i can still remember her saying this one is no where near as good in the mud as the old one was.

Those were the days when were learning that it was a totally different animal compared to the D2.

Eventually we got it out mud everywhere,all over every friggin thing.

all fun and games:):)

Epic_Dragon
8th July 2014, 09:44 AM
you blokes should be proud of your ladies! getting in on it! not many men get to share their love of all things landrover and 4x4!
i am a woman, and it seems ive converted the man! he now wants his own disco! given he does not believe they are as capable off road as his hilux which has big tyres and lift and diff still nto much higher off the ground than mine! but tryign to explain to him they are more capable than he can imagine is like hitting my head agaisnt a brick wall. but still, he has grown fond of mine and wants one himself!

jammers
8th July 2014, 06:44 PM
Where did you guys end up? I passed you with a patrol and navara in tow. We end up just working our way through the area and found a crazy hill climb try to follow the power lines. Wow what an experience! There seem to have been a few about, noticed a big Jeep club on entry.

TerryO
8th July 2014, 06:54 PM
Where did you guys end up? I passed you with a patrol and navara in tow. We end up just working our way through the area and found a crazy hill climb try to follow the power lines. Wow what an experience! There seem to have been a few about, noticed a big Jeep club on entry.

I'm guessing you were in the D4 with a couple of little ones in the back that stopped for a minute or two then drove off?

The Basic skills day is just that, that particular hill has about four or five good little tracks up and over it that provide a good cross section for people starting out to learn various skills while still in view of the trainers.

I strongly recommend that anyone in this part of NSW that would like to get some good training consider joining the Range Rover Club, there are various training days including sand driving and recovery courses. All good stuff when starting out and well worth the membership fee.

DiscoWeb
8th July 2014, 06:59 PM
Terry,

Your lovely wife did a great job on the weekend as did a number of other of our female club members at another well attended Range Rover Club Intro driver training day (shameless plug).

It is great to see how many of the ladies who come to our training days go from having either no desire to drive or lack the confidence to have a drive.

As Terry is well aware, being one of the clubs trainers, once we kick their respective better halves out of the car and get them driving on progressively harder tracks it great to see how much they not only enjoy the driving but actually get the attraction of driving these vehicles off road and understand the capability of the vehicles.

I would encourage everyone to let the ladies take the wheel in an environment where you are not the one giving the instructions.

Terry, your real problem is she will probably the D4 but also want all the fun bits fitted as well then you can chase each other around the tracks !!

Best.

George

jammers
8th July 2014, 07:03 PM
Yeah that was me. Was going to say gday but the others wanted to press on after we aired down. I initially wondered if it was a group drive organised through the forum that I might have missed. Will give your suggestion some thought as I have plans for a cape trip next year.

TerryO
8th July 2014, 07:06 PM
Jammers, if your thinking of joining the RRC club then George (Discoweb) is the man to talk to. ...:)

DiscoWeb
8th July 2014, 07:12 PM
Jammers,

I think there are probably a few member on this site and there are other LR and 4wd club members on this forum.

Just have a look at the website;

index (http://www.rangeroverclubnsw.asn.au/)

as it will give you a good idea of what is about.

Hope this helps.

George

jonesy63
8th July 2014, 07:15 PM
I would encourage everyone to let the ladies take the wheel in an environment where you are not the one giving the instructions.

My wife would find it difficult to drive off road and crochet at the same time! :D

Bytemrk
8th July 2014, 07:30 PM
My wife would find it difficult to drive off road and crochet at the same time! :D

Don't see why Jonesy....

I spotted a woman knitting while driving down a Melbourne freeway in rush hour last year :eek: :eek:

jonesy63
8th July 2014, 07:42 PM
Ahh.. she had cruise control on then! :D:D

scarry
8th July 2014, 07:53 PM

Gave up giving instructions years ago, she never listens.

Then when it all turns pear shaped there is only one to blame.:)

scarry
8th July 2014, 07:55 PM
Don't see why Jonesy....

I spotted a woman knitting while driving down a Melbourne freeway in rush hour last year :eek: :eek:

I once saw a lady reading a book,doing about 80k's on the M1.

Got to give her some credit,she was in the far left lane....

peterall
8th July 2014, 08:38 PM
Joining a club is definitely the way to go if you want to learn and explore the capabilities of our amazing machines.
Our Range Rover Club of South Australia has also had great success in running training days particularly for the /ladies/wives/partners and as others had stated, you struggle to get them out of the drivers seat.
Come on all you SA Rangie & Disco owners, check us out at [www.rangeroverclubsa.com]
:p

Graeme
9th July 2014, 06:28 AM
Ahh.. she had cruise control on then! :D:DAnd auto-steer like my tractor?

Redback
9th July 2014, 07:13 AM
I once saw a lady reading a book,doing about 80k's on the M1.

Got to give her some credit,she was in the far left lane....

I can top that, I saw a young girl reading a book on the Hume Freeway, doing 110kph at night, she passed me and when I looked in the car, she had a iddy biddy book light on it:eek:

So Jonesy, crocheting should be a breaze, after all aren't women able to multitask:D

Baz.

Pedro_The_Swift
9th July 2014, 07:36 AM
silly me, I saw Baz was the last to post and I thought he was offering to sell his D4 to Terry:whistling:

scarry
9th July 2014, 05:46 PM
silly me, I saw Baz was the last to post and I thought he was offering to sell his D4 to Terry:whistling:

Would be a good buy,that is once he sorts out why the rear number plate falls off:p:D

Bytemrk
9th July 2014, 07:38 PM
I can top that, I saw a young girl reading a book on the Hume Freeway, doing 110kph at night, she passed me and when I looked in the car, she had a iddy biddy book light on it:eek:

Baz.

Good Lord ...How do these people survive to an age they learn to drive!! :eek:

Tombie
9th July 2014, 11:33 PM
<snip>, crocheting should be a breaze, after all aren't women able to multitask:D

Baz.

Don't believe it... If it was true then they should be able to have a Head-ache and Sex at the same time...

FeatherWeightDriver
10th July 2014, 07:42 AM
Don't believe it... If it was true then they should be able to have a Head-ache and Sex at the same time...

...and then the fight started... :eek:;)

Epic pooh
12th July 2014, 08:43 AM
Very cunning way to get into a D4 V8 Terry ... :D

Are you going to keep the complete set - D1 to 4 ?

AndyG
13th July 2014, 05:01 AM
...and then the fight started... :eek:;)

Not to mention do the dishes while ......

TerryO
13th July 2014, 08:16 PM
Very cunning way to get into a D4 V8 Terry ... :D

Are you going to keep the complete set - D1 to 4 ?

Mick the only one that might need to go if we get a D4 is the D2a, still I reckon a man needs a every Land Rover he can possibly collect.

Anyway it's still looking pretty good for a D4 as the bride can see my latest logic that if we both take turns driving the same vehicle when we go off roading then she might miss out on the best tracks as it might be my turn at that time. ... :p;):angel:

~Rich~
13th July 2014, 08:25 PM
Mick the only one that might need to go if we get a D4 is the D2a, still I reckon a man needs a every Land Rover he can possibly collect.

Anyway it's still looking pretty good for a D4 as the bride can see my latest logic that if we both take turns driving the same vehicle when we go off roading then she might miss out on the best tracks as it might be my turn at that time. ... :p;):angel:

Yes but who tows the van????

Epic pooh
13th July 2014, 08:50 PM
D4 V8 to replace a D2a V8 ... tough choice but ... I'm sure you can come up with an argument to keep it ;) Personally I'll just stick to one !

My wife gets her fair share of the good bits at the wheel of our D3, if given a choice she'd have her own 200 series V8 Petrol ... heathen :eek: ! We're on the cusp of replacing one of our other cars, some of the criteria being that it can tow well and be comfortable long distance ... you can imagine the discussion ... :mad:

TerryO
13th July 2014, 08:59 PM
If we get one then it might well be a oiler in the end, not many V8's out there and those that are don't seam to want to haggle to much.

I'd be happy with either a diesel or a V8, will have to act pretty quick though or my very logical arguments about the need for a his and hers might start to look a little less logical with time. ... ;)

Epic pooh
13th July 2014, 09:13 PM
Sad, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the torques and range ... the ones I've driven were impressive, even if they don't sound right :angel:

Good luck :D