PDA

View Full Version : Earth near inside front fuse box ?

Glynhouse
12th July 2014, 03:25 PM
Afternoon all, I am in the process of hard wiring, freeing up the cig lighter sockets and getting rid of visible cables to a Dash-cam under the rear vision mirror.
Have got a 12volt to 5v USB connector with 1.3 meters of cable, needs to be a switched feed, easiest way that I can see is to use a piggy back fuse in socket 58 in the fuse box, that takes care of the power but I can't see an earth anywhere near there ?
Cable will tuck in nicely under the roof lining and down the door pillar, havn't got it into the fuse box area yet and I think there is an air-bag in the road but am sure it will go through - somewhere, but the earth is the problem, any suggestions ?

DD

jonesy63
12th July 2014, 04:27 PM
DD - there are chassis bolts for earth points under the kick panels. ;)
Cheers,
Rob

Glynhouse
12th July 2014, 04:45 PM
I did know that that thanks Rob, but had not given them a thought even though having already used the one on the drivers side.

I can now run the cable, if I have to will join to reach that connection, still hoping to get one closer, but that lets me go ahead thanks.

DD

Graeme
12th July 2014, 04:48 PM
I fitted the power cable for a camera only a couple of days ago using a piggy-back fuse and an earth stud below the fuse box. I used fuse 31 as I have it removed to disable the rain sensor.

Graeme
12th July 2014, 05:52 PM
I'm considering being able to also power the camera with the ignition off by fitting a 2nd piggy-back fuse to a permanent supply and a switch and 2 diodes to keep the supplies separate.