PDA

View Full Version : Machinery paint

rust
13th July 2014, 07:15 AM
Does anyone know if those industrial machinery paints are well suited to DIY lame brains looking to change out from the Camo using a brush and roller.

I like both Kubota Orange and Cat Yellow as a down the track mod if I could be bothered.

Do those industrial paints go straight over the top of the camo or would a light soda blasting be the go to prep it out.

DeeJay
13th July 2014, 04:39 PM
I would give it all a good prep wash & get the powder residue- from long stints in the weather - removed.
These spray cans are original brew, so as long as the paint you put over the top is compatible, you would be OK.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/07/744.jpg

303gunner
13th July 2014, 06:00 PM
There are very few automotive or industrial paints that will give a good finish using a brush or roller. The best choice would be something like the epoxy rust proof paints like Killrust, etc, which are designed for brush application. While available in litre and 4lt cans for brush or roller painting, they also come in aerosol spray cans.

Thinking laterally, if a brush or roller is what you have for paint application, have you given thought to an acrylic housepaint like Solarguard or Weathersheild? These will give a good finish and are guaranteed for 20 odd years in the weather. Plus there is a good choice of colours! It's not something I would do myself, but it would make it easier down the track to reveal the original camo paint if a later owner chooses to return it to that finish.

slug_burner
13th July 2014, 08:30 PM
This stuff is said to be very tough

Stop Rust with POR-15® - We Know What Permanent Means! (http://www.por15.com)

As is this stuff.

Welcome to KBS Coatings | KBS Coatings Australia (http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au)

However it is not the easiest stuff to work with, it does self level so can be applied by brush and probably roller. Not too thick or it will bubble and a very definite time window in which to apply additional coats. Can't be removed by chemical means once it has gone off.

clubagreenie
14th July 2014, 08:00 AM
POR will whiten in the sun

Bigbjorn
14th July 2014, 08:09 AM
I once was privileged to watch a very highly skilled old tradesman brush paint a large veteran car. The owner was a stickler for authenticity. The car was put out in the summer sun to get nicely hot. The paint container sat in a pot of hot water which was replenished from time to time. I assume a special paint was used. Someone in the paint trade may know. The brushes did not have handles, being held between the fingertips and thumb and had long soft bristles. The painter took care to load the brush fully and applied the paint in one long smooth movement from an edge to an edge. The finish was as smooth and bright as glass.

DoubleChevron
14th July 2014, 08:48 AM
I once was privileged to watch a very highly skilled old tradesman brush paint a large veteran car. The owner was a stickler for authenticity. The car was put out in the summer sun to get nicely hot. The paint container sat in a pot of hot water which was replenished from time to time. I assume a special paint was used. Someone in the paint trade may know. The brushes did not have handles, being held between the fingertips and thumb and had long soft bristles. The painter took care to load the brush fully and applied the paint in one long smooth movement from an edge to an edge. The finish was as smooth and bright as glass.

My grandfather said they used to have a guy that painted the car dashes like this. He would only work if the weather was right. He said the hand painted dash was indistinguishable from a dash that had been dismantled and sprayed. The finish was perfect.

seeya,
Shane L.

clubagreenie
14th July 2014, 11:18 AM
Seen same. Camel hair brushes hand made by the painter shaped etc to suit the surface profile etc. Astounding work.

AIF
14th July 2014, 12:33 PM
I think the paint was Nitro Cellulose.
Ford hand painted their cars as did everyone till they were the first to start spraying them.

Barefoot Dave
14th July 2014, 01:53 PM
Another old tradesman told me his tip for a beautiful finish when painting enamel.
When still a little soft but beyond tacky, he would buff with a petrol soaked, close weave cloth. The solvent and mechanical action helped wear off the high spots and fill the low.

Bigbjorn
14th July 2014, 02:36 PM
I think the paint was Nitro Cellulose.
Ford hand painted their cars as did everyone till they were the first to start spraying them.

The Du Pont Corporation developed nitro-cellulose spraying lacquer, Duco, as a benefit from explosives research in 1920. First used on Oakland cars in 1923 and was made available to the entire industry in 1925. The quick drying ability removed the last barrier to true mass production. Pierre Du Pont was Chairman of General Motors and the Du Ponts owned 40% of GM.

isuzurover
14th July 2014, 02:48 PM
When I first rebuilt my IIA I painted (sprayed) it with machinery paint (enamel). The paint shop warned me it didn't have the same UV stabilisers as automotive paint, and sure enough it went white and chalky in about 6 months.

110Lizard
30th August 2014, 01:21 AM
Have you thought about buying some vinyl wrap and wrapping car this will last around 5 years even longer if kept out of the sun most of the time, is available in any colour you like, protects original paint and can be removed at any time leaving it untouched underneath...