PDA

View Full Version : iconic model Australian train???

isuzurover
18th July 2014, 03:56 PM
I am going to a birthday party soon for a German guy whom I know is a train nut. I think he has HO stuff.

Looking for suggestions on what to buy him as a present that is a significant part of Australian railway history.

p38arover
18th July 2014, 05:55 PM
Isuzutoo-eh may be the man to ask.

I'm not sure what is available. I'm partial to the Goodwin-Alco 44 Class loco but only because Dad was an engineer on that project at AE Goodwin in St Marys (NSW). (Wikipedia says it relocated to Auburn in the 50's but I'm not sure about that. I could have sworn it was still there in the early Sixties. I'll have to ask Dad. I still remember (with envy :) ) their automatic train set in the building foyer at St Marys.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_44_class_locomotive

(not my image - from wikipedia)
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/07/566.jpg

isuzutoo-eh
20th July 2014, 04:44 PM
A Eureka Models C38 class is a model of what is probably the most iconic Australian steam locomotive, though the Victorians may disagree. Lima also made a model of this class of loco, but it is harder to find these days.
Trainorama made a model of the 44 class in HO scale, there is an old Lima model 44 too, or you can get a beautiful brass O sale model of one for a mere $2295 from Berg's Hobbies, where I work ;)
Austrains have a model of the NR class, as used on the Indian Pacific over the last 15 years or so.
There is also the Eureka Models AD60 Garratt, a monster of a locomotive, but these are a bit harder to come across as they are out of production.
Australian prototype models aren't particularly cheap unfortunately.

There are basically no models available for South Australian, Western Australian, Queensland or Tasmanian railways.

Most of the models mentioned are unfortunately only available from a small selection of hobby shops at most, or direct from the importer (the brand names mentioned).

robbotd5
20th July 2014, 05:05 PM
Totally agree re a model of the C38 Pacific.
I am lucky enough to own a Lima limited edition HO gauge model of 3801. Although it lacks a little on detail; specifically the valve gear. The Eureka model is the pick because of the quality and detail but gee they are expensive.
Regards
Robbo

Ausfree
20th July 2014, 06:00 PM
Any chance of any piccies anybody???

p38arover
20th July 2014, 06:04 PM
I was going to mention the 38 Class but I didn't know there were any models of it.

you can get a beautiful brass O sale model of one for a mere $2295 from Berg's Hobbies, where I work ;)

Bergs used to have some very nice brass models - always out of my price range.

I shall have to drop in one day. I haven't been there in a long time. I used to race model boats against Jim Cattell.

Which models do you make, Mark?

vnx205
20th July 2014, 06:05 PM
Use the names of the models mentioned by isuzutoo-eh for a search and you will not only find images of the trains, but you will also find some fascinating information about the history of the engines.

I'm not a railway buff or train spotter or whatever they are called, but I found some of the information fascinating. For example, imagine boring out the cylinder of a steam engine from 19 1/4" to 19 7/8". :eek:

isuzutoo-eh
20th July 2014, 08:05 PM
I was going to mention the 38 Class but I didn't know there were any models of it.

Bergs used to have some very nice brass models - always out of my price range.

I shall have to drop in one day. I haven't been there in a long time. I used to race model boats against Jim Cattell.

Which models do you make, Mark?

Berg's still do have a lot of very nice brass models! And prices are still high, very collectable stuff. Some customers invested in a fair number of brass models 30+ years ago and used them as superannuation, some of the models have gone up in price by a factor of 20...

Do come visit! Jim is there Tuesday through to Saturday, I am there Monday, take your choice :)

I typically make models of obscure trains, currently on my workbench is an O scale model of an 1890s 3'6" gauge locomotive from the North Mt Lyell Railway on the West Coast of Tas. It'll be unique, nobody else has ever made a model of one before, and I suspect I'm the only one modelling the early era of private railway in Tasmania anyway

V8Ian
21st July 2014, 08:35 PM
Totally agree re a model of the C38 Pacific.
I am lucky enough to own a Lima limited edition HO gauge model of 3801. Although it lacks a little on detail; specifically the valve gear. The Eureka model is the pick because of the quality and detail but gee they are expensive.
Regards
Robbo

:ttiwwp:

isuzurover
21st July 2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I have found out the guy has AC HO trains, however the prices mentioned here are well beyond what I was planning to spend... (further proof that all collectors are crazy :D ;) :wasntme: ???)

Can anyone reccommend a hobby shop in Perth that has a good selection of HO train stuff at reasonable prices...?

isuzutoo-eh
22nd July 2014, 07:46 AM
If he's running AC power, then you'll have difficulty finding anything that is compatible, very few firms make AC HO trains, most are either DC or digital (DCC) and both will let the smoke out (unprototypical smoke!) if provided AC power.
Marklin is the most famous supplier of AC trains.
I don't know the Perth shop scene, sorry.

isuzurover
25th July 2014, 09:57 AM
If he's running AC power, then you'll have difficulty finding anything that is compatible, very few firms make AC HO trains, most are either DC or digital (DCC) and both will let the smoke out (unprototypical smoke!) if provided AC power.
Marklin is the most famous supplier of AC trains.
I don't know the Perth shop scene, sorry.

OK - stupid question time - do HO carriages have any electrics?

isuzutoo-eh
25th July 2014, 10:06 AM
OK - stupid question time - do HO carriages have any electrics?

Some have interior lighting so skip them, most don't. You should be safe with that one!

The couplers used between carriages varies a lot but the average modeller is well practiced at changing couplers...

drivesafe
25th July 2014, 10:21 PM
Hi Mark and not meaning to hijack isuzurover’s thread but do you know if there are any HO models of Sydney trams?

isuzutoo-eh
26th July 2014, 06:45 AM
Hi Mark and not meaning to hijack isuzurover’s thread but do you know if there are any HO models of Sydney trams?

Hi Tim,
Weico used to make a few as kits, but that was in the early 90s. Far North Hobbies also had a kit for a NSWGT steam tram motor, again 20 odd years ago. The Weico models come up once in a blue moon on the 2nd hand market, the company is still around so may still sell them, albeit unlikely.