PDA

View Full Version : Jimny vs Sierra

SlowRide
7th August 2014, 02:17 PM
I'm in a spot with my 92 Sierra soft top. I've proactively spent plenty on it over the years - it's mechanically bulletproof, an absolute hoot to drive, turns heads everywhere I go, but superficial rust is beginning here and there in the bodywork so it's time to really consider my options.

I'm thinking about flipping it and buying into a new-ish Jimny. I like the idea of A/C and a stereo, a car that I can install roof racks on, a car that runs on the smell of an oily rag, and a car that I can truly lock up and leave overnight somewhere without fear of theft. But part of the Sierra's charm is its uber simplicity and reliability, if anything does go wrong it's easy to diagnose and repair, and it's just a fun car to have in the shed - it never fails to put a smile on your face.

So if you can, sway me one way or the other. Is it worth updating to a Jimny, or is the Sierra in a league of its own?

TeamFA
7th August 2014, 02:30 PM
Haven't owned either, but have mates who have.

Sierra is an awesome little 4WD. One friend in particular used to have a Sierra, sold it for family reasons, and has since bought a Jimny. Other than what you've listed as the differences, he says they are pretty close - so if the A/C, stereo (which you can fix in the Sierra anyway) and roof rack options are important to you, then you probably won't be going backwards.

But I would guess that the $ changeover would be more than addressing the issues you have with the Sierra.

If it were me, I'd keep the Sierra.

4x4 MORE
7th August 2014, 02:46 PM
Keep the Sierra mate, parts and servicing is cheaper..also you won't worry too much about the paint job on a sierra..

Davehoos
8th August 2014, 06:19 PM
sierra is a Jimny in japan. comes with wide range of specs. Im guessing you havnt got a cart spring 1000cc indian built model.

Japanese have electric power steer, A/C etc. they use a 650 cc turbo inter cooled engine for cheep taxes.

jimny in OZ was the upgrade to get the vehicle to comply with crash testing.
the injected engine is more economical that the old carby engine-but not as big as the vitara engine.

fitted loads of a/c units to sierra-locally they all left the dealer with free air. even see hydrolic power steer unit on some models. Japanese denso system or local sanden units.

local mail service had jimny listed by NRMA as cheapest car in OZ per KM.

SlowRide
8th August 2014, 11:50 PM
So this is my Sierra. Good nick all around as can be seen - functional/tasteful mods, 1.6 conversion, and proactively maintained on every front. No doubt it's a fun little beast that goes absolutely everywhere and turns heads in the process, but there's no security on offer, no way to carry a board/ski to the beach (or bigger bits and pieces from Bunnings), and no relief from the elements... OK for a brief window, but not so fun at when summer is punching 35º+ for months on end, or in the cold of winter when water is dripping on your toes (and yes, I have a fully enclosed canvas top for the winter months). And as is with all 20yo+ cars, no matter how proactive you are there's always something needing attention... the sight of rust has all sorts of alarm bells ringing.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/08/1141.jpg

Checked out 2nd hand Jimny's today at car yards and I was super impressed. Maybe not the same immediate wow and charm as my Sierra, but basic looks = no theft appeal. I wouldn't be afraid to leave a Jimny parked up in the city overnight. And in comparison the Jimny is light years ahead in terms of refinement... it even has power steering (WTF?).

Can't cross it off the list just yet - it's still the same form factor I know and love. Comes down to the fact I could pump $5K into my Sierra and see no return but a two year window of maintenance reprieve, or I could sell it for $5K and throw $10K into a Jimny (and mods) which will likely last me until the zombie apocalypse.

lewy
11th August 2014, 09:21 AM
Get the rust looked at by a pro it may only be surface,Turn it into a ute,fit air con,lockable fibreglass cover on the back with tradie rack,You know you want to keep it:D

4x4 MORE
11th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Nice zook mate, love the camo paint job..

loanrangie
13th August 2014, 07:25 PM
You mean olive drab, as Lewy said get a canopy and fit a good rack like what the Nato Landy's had.

jerryd
15th August 2014, 06:58 AM
I'd be keeping the Sierra, maybe purchase a fibre glass roof kit, fit a hidden kill switch, touch up the rust and keep using it. :)

In the meantime you could save up to buy a Jimny then you'd have two toys :D

I used to own a lwb samurai when I lived in the uk, I covered 250,00 miles in it before the rust bug took hold :( I also had a 2 litre injected motor in it which made it rather interesting.;)

A couple of pics of it at Billing