PDA

View Full Version : Snorkels

DBT
13th August 2014, 08:15 AM
A not uncommon topic for Perenties, but info is spread all over. Much of it in the "What did you do on your Perentie ..." as a few of you have gone down the DIY path - with impressive results.

For those of us who are less capable wrt parts fabrication (and maybe also don't have LR OEM budgets), It would be good to summarise the options here.

Of interest to me are the 6X6 rear facing intake extension things. Not a full snorkel in the traditional sense, but I totally understand their function after seeing water wash over my bonnet and splash into the intake grill, causing me immediate chest pains. (no adverse result, but is now keeping me awake at night with a "snorkel to top of list" mantra going on).

Would welcome all discussion and advice on Snorkels for Perenties.

Thanks All.

Dave.

Aussie Jeepster
13th August 2014, 12:36 PM
Yep, I'd be keen to see where we can get them too (the rear facing ones I mean)

isuzutoo-eh
13th August 2014, 12:51 PM
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/04/40.jpg

The rear facing type is made from similar material to a Safari snorkel from what I can tell.
The design allows the windscreen to fold down still, although I haven't tried it yet.
NSN 66-139-0075.
I haven't poked around underneath to see how it connects to the intake hose.

Dervish
13th August 2014, 02:15 PM
I haven't poked around underneath to see how it connects to the intake hose.

Here's a pic I snapped of one of the wrecks at Minto.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/OreganoM1/photo_zps044dcf32.jpg

Not the most waterproof of designs, unfortunately :(

isuzutoo-eh
13th August 2014, 03:45 PM
That's more or less what I expected. Nothing that a whole lot of sealant can't improve.

Aussie Jeepster
13th August 2014, 08:54 PM
I haven't tried land rover, but the part number is BYG2029

BadCo.
13th August 2014, 09:06 PM
I am planning on making mine out of 4“ intercooler piping with black silicon joiners and a Air ram from the local truck supplies store.

If it turns out looking worse then it does in my head then I'll probably get the pipe welded up and painted.

Other options include running two safari snorkels, but that would cost a bit.

Aussie Jeepster
13th August 2014, 09:47 PM
Its all on page 226 of the RPS. I can't copy it at present.

Aussie Jeepster
14th August 2014, 06:24 AM
Here is the parts drawing which might help.

Barefoot Dave
14th August 2014, 12:22 PM
G'Day Dave.
If you decide to go for a properly sealed 'integrated' option. KLR Automotive are about to release an adapter kit for the Mantech snorkel.
Not 'Mil-spec' but still looks good.

Tell 'em Dave sent you :cool:

me dave, that is, not you dave. That would be silly ;)
must grow my beard back: LR, Dave and beard. about as grey man as you can get :))

BadCo.
14th August 2014, 12:30 PM
Is the mantec big enough for the 4bd1?

Barefoot Dave
14th August 2014, 01:07 PM
I don't have the full specs at hand, but if the mimimum cross-sectional area is=> 100dia of the Air intake then it is ok.
Remember that the 4BD1 is larger but lower revving than a Tdi/ 5/ ci

flow= (capacity-inefficiency)rpm

DBT
14th August 2014, 04:51 PM
Tell 'em Dave sent you :cool:

me dave, that is, not you dave. That would be silly. ;)

Thanks Dave.

I'll be sure'n to wear mah boots too, to further avoid confusion. ;)

mark2
19th August 2014, 07:43 PM
I don't have the full specs at hand, but if the mimimum cross-sectional area is=> 100dia of the Air intake then it is ok.
Remember that the 4BD1 is larger but lower revving than a Tdi/ 5/ ci

flow= (capacity-inefficiency)rpm

A turbo also makes a big difference when working out airflow requirments. When you do the calcs, a Tdi snorkel should be more than adequate for a n/a 4BD1. (Tdi/Td5 needs way more air).

So the Safari/cheap ebay tdi/td5 snorkels are probably fine from an air flow perspective. Actually the Safari copies on ebay for around $125 are not too bad quality wise - fitted one of the cheapies recently to a mates 130 and we were both surprised by the quality and fit. Whether they look ok on a Perentie is a matter of opinion.

To the OP: I wouldnt be too concerned by a splash into the air vent - the grilled inlet to the flexible air duct should be facing down and back and it would take much more than a splash to cause a problem. If you have a snorkel and are actually in water deep enough to really warrant it (assuming your airbox and all ducting is watertight) there will still be other issues to consider eg fuse panel and relays, radiator fan, breathers etc.

DBT
19th August 2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Mark,

True, the air intake is positioned as you say. It wasn't really a full blown panic attack, just a mild one. :)

I've always assumed it only takes a little water to hydraulic a diesel, so it does bother me. Electrics I can fix. But I am def no diesel mechanic.

I briefly submarined a petrol 4wd many years ago. Air intake was high up in the engine bay, but it copped a bit of moisture (as did the passengers via the leaky door seals). Engine coughed and spluttered for a minute or 2 after the crossing. I wouldn't want to do that to a diesel.

mark2
20th August 2014, 09:34 AM
Hi Mark,

True, the air intake is positioned as you say. It wasn't really a full blown panic attack, just a mild one. :)

I've always assumed it only takes a little water to hydraulic a diesel, so it does bother me. Electrics I can fix. But I am def no diesel mechanic.

I briefly submarined a petrol 4wd many years ago. Air intake was high up in the engine bay, but it copped a bit of moisture (as did the passengers via the leaky door seals). Engine coughed and spluttered for a minute or 2 after the crossing. I wouldn't want to do that to a diesel.

Possibly may have been the effects of water on the ignition system which caused the coughing and spluttering?
I'm not against snorkels but I have seen the results of the false sense of security they sometimes cause. A mate with a snorkel hydrauliced his 4BD1T powered 110 due to the air box end cap taking in water. We pulled the glow plugs and cranked it, resulting in a spray of muddy water from each cylinder. After clearing these and draining the turbo it eventually tow started. Then after several changes of all the oils in the vehicle and sorting out some electrical issues, its been running well for the past few years. Probably a testament to the toughness of the engine, or maybe his luck...

Bushy049
29th August 2014, 07:58 PM
I look at a snorkel as insurance for that time you stuff up and drive though water a bit deeper than normal , not for driving around up to the windscreen :what:

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using AULRO mobile app

DBT
29th August 2014, 08:23 PM
I look at a snorkel as insurance for that time you stuff up and drive though water a bit deeper than normal ,not for driving around up to the windscreen

Yeah. I think that's a Jeep thing?

:wasntme:

110Lizard
29th August 2014, 09:02 PM
I plan on making a custom snorkel using geberit mapress stainless steel piping it's available in the correct sizes, looks better than a professional one, lasts a lot longer.... It's a great product for this sort of thing. Just an idea if people want to make one themselves...

http://media.cirrusmedia.com.au/FEN_Media_Library/ServiceLoad/Product/FEN--Jan-2011-Online.jpg

BadCo.
30th August 2014, 04:01 AM
I plan on making a custom snorkel using geberit mapress stainless steel piping it's available in the correct sizes, looks better than a professional one, lasts a lot longer.... It's a great product for this sort of thing. Just an idea if people want to make one themselves...

http://media.cirrusmedia.com.au/FEN_Media_Library/ServiceLoad/Product/FEN--Jan-2011-Online.jpg

Looks interesting, will have to find out more.

BadCo.
14th October 2014, 08:21 PM
Just going to dig this thread up to add some more info and ask for more again.

I was on the APT website drooling all over their awesome stuff when I spotted a 4" mandrel bent stainless snorkel in olive drab made especially for the Perentie!

Link: APT Fabrication for Land Rover parts - APT Perentie Snorkel | Perentie (http://www.aptfabrications.com.au/defender/product/282-apt-perentie-snorkel-perentie)

I would be all over this if it didn't cost the price of the winch I want.

Does anyone have one and would like to provide detailed photographs?

bond
16th October 2014, 08:52 AM
Currently planning snorkel install (To coincide with turbo install - td04-19t, ~20psi, possibly intercooled)

I currently have one of these sitting around; 4x4 Replacement Snorkel Head 88mm 3 5 Inch Mushroom Removable Mesh DRY Intake | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x4-Replacement-Snorkel-head-88mm-3-5-inch-Mushroom-Removable-Mesh-Dry-Intake-/321220541543?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aca3c7c67)

Current idea for simple install; 3.5" stainless pipe on windscreen, then corrugated hosing from tube, through wing vent all the way to air filter intake, example;

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/10/940.jpg

However also considering 3" - unsure if going down to 3" would cause issues? (if going down to 3" would probably order a donaldson pre-cleaner head)

another option would be to custom fabricate a clone of the 6x6 wingtop snorkel out of fibreglass, I do prefer the idea of the pre-cleaner however ...

Ancient Mariner
16th October 2014, 11:18 AM
How I did my Isuzu 3.5" aluminium .With the precleaner head it trips the restriction indicator within a few Ks but never with the scoop type head .I use either depending on conditions The precleaner type possibly OK with 3.9 L

BadCo.
16th October 2014, 11:55 AM
How I did my Isuzu 3.5" aluminium .With the precleaner head it trips the restriction indicator within a few Ks but never with the scoop type head .I use either depending on conditions The precleaner type possibly OK with 3.9 L

You made that? Man that is nice!

Disco Muppet
16th October 2014, 12:12 PM
You should see the rest of his work :)
I'd just be sticking some SS pipe (painted, it's not a GQ patrol) up the pillar, with a suitable head.
Done.

isuzurover
16th October 2014, 02:01 PM

I am planning to do the same in stainless (have all the bits, just need to weld it up). However I will probably paint it black also...

BadCo.
16th July 2015, 05:06 PM
Ok digging this up, again.

I had a very bad close call last Saturday, water was nearly in my gumboots! There was also a lot in the air filter and everything else important.

I have a 4" Snorkel head I have been meaning to do something with, but since last weekend I feel I need to sort it out sooner rather then later and I was looking at the Safari Snorkel for the County V8.

Would this be big enough for the 4BD1? I can't get anyone to confirm the diameter of it.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

BadCo

Reference: Safari Snorkel Land Rover County 110 Snorkels for County 110 4x4 vehicles (http://www.safari4x4.com.au/recreational/aus-nz/safari-snorkel/land-rover/county-110#parts)

MVFrancis
16th July 2015, 06:13 PM
Hey Badco,

I've got a 300tdi safari snorkel on my perentie, it works well. I should know the diameters of all the ducring off the top of my head but sadly ive forgotten. Ill get back to you on that if need be.

Anyway by my logic, the smallest ID of the air intake would be located just before the start of the manifold- where the red vaccuum lines joins to in this picture. So as long as its at least the same size as this (2.5 inch ish?) You wont be creating any restrictions.

Cheers

BadCo.
16th July 2015, 06:15 PM
Don't forget to take into account you are extending the intake piping as well, so there will be losses in there too.

It will be great if you could post the diameters of the intake and outlet.

Cheers,

BadCo.

MVFrancis
16th July 2015, 06:33 PM
I won't be home till sunday, but ill take some notes when I get into the shed then.

Ive also got a v8, so out of interest I'll measure that up too.

Cheers

BadCo.
16th July 2015, 06:40 PM
That would be fantastic!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AULRO mobile app

Dervish
17th July 2015, 08:07 AM

I was looking at the Safari Snorkel for the County V8.

Would this be big enough for the 4BD1? I can't get anyone to confirm the diameter of it.

Any other suggestions?

That's was an interesting enough question to get the brain kicking over, so I fired up Excel.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/OreganoM1/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-17%20at%208.21.06%20am_zpstxk2iyfu.png

The way I see it, you're interested in comparing flow rates through the snorkel between the different engines. For a simple (good enough) calc; you need the Max RPM, engine swept capacity and the intake pressure.

Now it's important to note that this ignores the volumetric efficiency of the engine - as well as the fact that fuel enters the cylinders with the air - but as we are ignoring that with all of the engines and as we are only interested in comparing them it is acceptable IMO.

So as you can see, the N/A 4BD1 uses less air than a 300Tdi when going all out. A 4BD1T at 15PSI uses more, but still only as much as a V8 (which uses the same snorkel). Even then I think there's still a fair safety margin built in.

To check my results I went looking for somebody else who had tried to figure out the same thing. Donaldson have this information sheet on the topic and their method gives the same results, but they use magic numbers and imperial units and we can't have that :D

here

For some real world info. The existing 4BD1 intake tract (3") mates up to the Safari snorkel well, but the snorkel is designed to mate to the 300Tdi (2.5" from memory) intake tract as well. The snorkel is tapered where it joins to the tract, so you trim the 2.5" diameter part off up to the 3" diameter part.

BadCo.
17th July 2015, 11:12 AM
Awesome info, thanks for that Dervish. I was hoping the safari 3.5" and tapered down to 3" but by your calculations the three inch should be enough.

I would have thought that the snorkel would need to be larger then the intake diameter to compensate for the added length...

Dervish
17th July 2015, 11:45 AM
Awesome info, thanks for that Dervish. I was hoping the safari 3.5" and tapered down to 3" but by your calculations the three inch should be enough.

I would have thought that the snorkel would need to be larger then the intake diameter to compensate for the added length...

I wasn't referring to the actual snorkel bit - I don't know what diameter it is - I was referring to the bit that sticks out inside the guard. It is 3", then steps to 2.5" so you lop the 2.5" bit off.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/07/549.jpg

BadCo.
17th July 2015, 11:51 AM
Ah I see what you mean now. So the hose that comes with the V8 kit is only going to be 2.5", as it looks like it comes with a reducer.

BadCo.
19th July 2015, 03:38 PM
I won't be home till sunday, but ill take some notes when I get into the shed then.

Ive also got a v8, so out of interest I'll measure that up too.

Cheers

Its suuundayyyyy, have you had a chance to look?

MVFrancis
19th July 2015, 05:36 PM
I did indeed.

The one on the county only has defender written on it, not safari like the perentie one does. Couldn't find a part number either unfortunately. But I'm pretty sure it's a safari as otherwise it looks identical. The only exception is that where the tdi one has the step down to 2.5", the one on the county is a 3" with no step down. I thought it was a bit strange and someone may have cut it off, but had a really good look and it appears to have been made like that.

So, with that in mind, if you were going to lop the end off the tdi one anyway, I'd just be buying whichever you can get cheaper.

Cheers

BadCo.
19th July 2015, 05:44 PM
Awesome, thanks for that. I have seen that defender one in person and it looks all good and about the same price.

Did you manage to measure the inlet/ snorkel head?

MVFrancis
19th July 2015, 06:35 PM
Didn't think to do that sorry. Ill do it tomorrow when i fit the pre cleaner though!

BadCo.
19th July 2015, 06:36 PM
Didn't think to do that sorry. Ill do it tomorrow when i fit the pre cleaner though!

Awesome, thanks for that.

MVFrancis
20th July 2015, 08:28 AM
Both are 3" give or take about a mm, nothing in it again :)

BadCo.
20th July 2015, 10:34 AM
You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Although smaller then I would have liked, according to Dervish's calculations it should still be good enough.

I still have that 4" head I could use and put a silicon reducer on. I'll see how I go, thanks again Francis and Dervish.

BadCo.
26th July 2015, 06:27 AM
What have people done to seal up their air cleaners?

Run a bead of silicon around one surface, let it dry then screw the lid down?

Or an adhesive gasket?

Any other thoughts?

Chris078
26th July 2015, 07:26 AM
What have people done to seal up their air cleaners?

Run a bead of silicon around one surface, let it dry then screw the lid down?

Or an adhesive gasket?

Any other thoughts?

It would have to be a fairly thick, but soft gasket/seal around the inside of the lid to seal it up properly I reckon. Based on the lid on my airbox which leaves quite a substantial gap.

might be worth a visit to Clark Rubber.

BadCo.
26th July 2015, 07:37 AM
It would have to be a fairly thick, but soft gasket/seal around the inside of the lid to seal it up properly I reckon. Based on the lid on my airbox which leaves quite a substantial gap.

might be worth a visit to Clark Rubber.

I was thinking the opposite, maybe a very thin one as you don't want to strip the thread on the rod trying to make the seal.

Although my air cleaner only has a very small gap where the weld is for the join.

Chris078
28th July 2015, 07:14 AM
I was thinking the opposite, maybe a very thin one as you don't want to strip the thread on the rod trying to make the seal.

Although my air cleaner only has a very small gap where the weld is for the join.

Probably varies from box to box. mine is way out of square so to seal it up without stripping the thread, you'd need a fairly thick, but squishy seal.

wpalmo
4th November 2015, 01:13 PM
I am in the process of fitting an APT high snorkel to my RFSV and wanted to know if anyone had some images they could post of the way the Perentie RFSV high snorkel mounts to the window hinge. My RFSV only came with the short snorkel and I want to fabricate the brackets or even purchase them if it is possible so that I can fit my new APT high snorkel using the window hinge mount. Any help with this project would be much appreciated.
Regards Warrick.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/902.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AGNAfR)RFSV Snorkel Mounts and Snorkel 2 (https://flic.kr/p/AGNAfR) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/903.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AGNzUF)RFSV Snorkel Mounts and Snorkel 3 (https://flic.kr/p/AGNzUF) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

Walster
4th November 2015, 04:41 PM
I am in the process of fitting an APT high snorkel to my RFSV and wanted to know if anyone had some images they could post of the way the Perentie RFSV high snorkel mounts to the window hinge. My RFSV only came with the short snorkel and I want to fabricate the brackets or even purchase them if it is possible so that I can fit my new APT high snorkel using the window hinge mount. Any help with this project would be much appreciated.
Regards Warrick.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/902.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AGNAfR)RFSV Snorkel Mounts and Snorkel 2 (https://flic.kr/p/AGNAfR) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/903.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AGNzUF)RFSV Snorkel Mounts and Snorkel 3 (https://flic.kr/p/AGNzUF) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

Hi warrick,

Here is my setup, which would appear to be standard.

The brackets are welded to the tube.

wpalmo
4th November 2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks heaps Wal for the images. I really appreciate the effort. Did you fabricate the snorkel or is it an APT snorkel that you welded the brackets onto? Can you take a wider shot that shows the complete snorkel?

Regards Warrick.

wpalmo
4th November 2015, 06:30 PM
Sorry Wal I just you read your post again and you said it is a standard hi RFSV snorkel. Can you still post a wider shot of it as I would like to see what the complete set up looks like?

Regards Warrick.

Walster
4th November 2015, 08:14 PM
Sorry Wal I just you read your post again and you said it is a standard hi RFSV snorkel. Can you still post a wider shot of it as I would like to see what the complete set up looks like?

Regards Warrick.

Sure thing Warrick,

I will take some more photos in the morning in better light

Walster
10th November 2015, 04:38 PM
Sure thing Warrick,

I will take some more photos in the morning in better light

Sorry Warrick for the delay.

please find attached a few more shots, if you need anymore specifically just let me know.

Walster
10th November 2015, 04:40 PM
Some more photos. (There is no snorkle attachment up high, on the edge of the windscreen)

wpalmo
11th November 2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks Wal for the extra photos. Really appreciate the effort you went too for me. I will be fitting mine today so it is good timing. I will post some shots after I am done.
Regards Warrick.

wpalmo
11th November 2015, 06:14 PM
I picked up an APT snorkel a couple of weeks ago and did a few mods to it so it could use the RFSV high snorkel mounting brackets. Just need to put a bit of Pibara Red paint on it now.

Thanks Wal for your help with the project. Images below.

Regards Warrick

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/676.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/A13kxp)IMG_2824 (https://flic.kr/p/A13kxp) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/677.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AUCHNQ)IMG_2816 (https://flic.kr/p/AUCHNQ) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/678.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AEjh23)IMG_2818 (https://flic.kr/p/AEjh23) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/679.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/zZUgb5)IMG_2819 (https://flic.kr/p/zZUgb5) by warrick palmateer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/warrickpalmateer/), on Flickr

BadCo.
24th December 2015, 08:08 PM
Just adding another option someone mentioned on Facebook.

Defender 300 TDI and TD5 and V8 (http://www.airflowsnorkels.com/details.php?id=21)