PDA

View Full Version : Fitting no 5 trailer to Disco 1

Petetheprinta
31st August 2014, 04:40 PM
I have just purchased a no 5 trailer and wish to tow it with my Disco 1. I will be removing the Lunette and associated bits and pieces and wish to attach a Treg style hitch. I have a Hayman Reese style towbar on Disco from which I will remove the ball and attach the Treg fitting. I intend to make up a plate to fit end of trailer drawbar using the existing welded threads and bolt it on. I will then weld a plate at right angles to fit the other half of the Treg tow system. (See attached photo) My problem is the height difference between towbar and drawbar. Some 160 mm.
I could raise the towbar ball height on a Disco but spare is in the way and can't open rear door.
Is there any reason I can't put a gooseneck in plate welded to drawbar to take Treg bit and lower it 150mm?. The idea being trailer is then aligned correctly horizontally and it fits to my Disco. I will put in a brace to add strength at the bend.

ian4002000
31st August 2014, 06:51 PM
Not sure ! Let me know how you go I want to put a number 5 behind a defender 130 tray and have similar problem

cactus
31st August 2014, 07:27 PM
I have just purchased a no 5 trailer and wish to tow it with my Disco 1. I will be removing the Lunette and associated bits and pieces and wish to attach a Treg style hitch. I have a Hayman Reese style towbar on Disco from which I will remove the ball and attach the Treg fitting. I intend to make up a plate to fit end of trailer drawbar using the existing welded threads and bolt it on. I will then weld a plate at right angles to fit the other half of the Treg tow system. (See attached photo) My problem is the height difference between towbar and drawbar. Some 160 mm.
I could raise the towbar ball height on a Disco but spare is in the way and can't open rear door.
Is there any reason I can't put a gooseneck in plate welded to drawbar to take Treg bit and lower it 150mm?. The idea being trailer is then aligned correctly horizontally and it fits to my Disco. I will put in a brace to add strength at the bend.might be of interest to either of you two. I have a treg hitch already adapted to fit a no5 trailer. includes the hitch trailer side and hayman reece square insert side. unbolt the plate with the six bolts and bolt on my six hole plate with the treg fitting . what im after is a lunette ring with the plate attached. im In sw vic and I imagine postage would be expensive. give me a yell of your interested.

cheers cactus

Petetheprinta
1st September 2014, 10:28 AM
Not sure ! Let me know how you go I want to put a number 5 behind a defender 130 tray and have similar problem

No worries I will let you know how I go. I've talked to an engineer and the job shouldn't be a problem, he assures me it will be as strong as previous.

Petetheprinta
1st September 2014, 10:30 AM
might be of interest to either of you two. I have a treg hitch already adapted to fit a no5 trailer. includes the hitch trailer side and hayman reece square insert side. unbolt the plate with the six bolts and bolt on my six hole plate with the treg fitting . what im after is a lunette ring with the plate attached. im In sw vic and I imagine postage would be expensive. give me a yell of your interested.

cheers cactus

Thanks cactus, but it doesn't sound like whati I'm after. Can you put up a piccie so I can have a look.

Lotz-A-Landies
1st September 2014, 12:11 PM
Hi Pete

Many people have made up a lazy "L" shaped bracket ( |____ ) to pick up all six bolts on the flange and align the centre of the treg hitch with the bottom of the trailer spline. make sure you add some significant webs, because there are some monumental leverage forces acting at that point.

The number 5 has a very high centre of gravity, there is also the option of reversing the axle location to on top of the spring pack.

Diana

BTW: If you do find a bracket, I'm looking for the lunette assembly for a Workshop trailer that's missing its lunette.

John H
1st September 2014, 12:41 PM
I have a custom made one on my wksp trailer that I could bring down to town if you want to check it out.Ive towed it approx 3000km behind an X-Trail with no worries and it sits level.If you are thinking of doing this permenantly I would be interested in buying it off you so I can tow the trailer behind my wksp rover and perentie when I get one.Cheers Hallsy.

Petetheprinta
1st September 2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info folks. Sorry but I will be keeping the lunette as I will be buying one of the army auction vehicles when I see one I like I will then be able to attach trailer. I have also decided against a Treg and will be getting a McHitch. I saw one in action today and was very impressed.

Petetheprinta
16th September 2014, 03:22 PM
Slowly getting the trailer connected to Disco. I have removed all wiring and lighting and fitted a 7 pin plug. I fitted 3 in 1 LED lights (light, brake and indicator) in place of existing indicators and brake lights. I have made a new hitch with McHitch fittings made to replace lunette.

I moved axle to top of springs but reckon its a bit low now, however everything lines up in the horizontal plane to Disco towbar.

I would like to put axle back to bottom of springs and remove some leafs to lower slightly. There are about 6 leafs that are held together by clamp thingys and about 4 loose ones below that. My question is, Can I do away with the loose ones without causing problems? This will lower trailer by amount I want. I reckon with the 32" tyres I'm about to fit, a slight raising of towbar, the trailer will only be a little bit nose down.

Help on springs... anyone?

Petetheprinta
16th September 2014, 06:21 PM
Sorted

Petetheprinta
3rd October 2014, 11:22 AM
Finally finished trailer. Replaced all wiring with 7 cable. LED lights all round. Removed Lunette and fabricated new end to take McHitch and Jockey wheel. I've done it in such a way that trailer can be converted back to original. No holes/welding in/on original trailer. Don't mind colour, it's a work in progress.

Mick_Marsh
3rd October 2014, 12:25 PM
That is an excellent adapter. Over engineered I think.
Better to be over engineered than under engineered though.