PDA

View Full Version : The Monuments Men

Mick_Marsh
19th February 2014, 09:34 PM
I just saw the movie "Monuments Men".
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watch out for the palettes which I'm reliably informed hadn't been invented yet.

Ausfree
6th September 2014, 04:42 PM
Having read the book "The monuments Men" by Robert M. Edsel and Bret Witter I have just watched the DVD and notice they give the leading stars in the movie different names to the original people mentioned in the book. Also the statue of the Bruges Madonna is holding the baby in her other arm than the photo of the original depicted in the book.

All this is minor nitpicking, I know but both the book and the movie give an idea of the sheer size of the Nazi's stealing works of art, statues and gold, removing them from their rightful place and hiding them in old mines.The story is about the art experts who come together to recover works of art from Nazi looting near the end of WW2.

The book is worth a read and the DVD is worth watching.:D

Xtreme
6th September 2014, 10:02 PM
Haven't read the book but enjoyed the movie earlier in the year.

Mick_Marsh
7th September 2014, 08:25 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

While you're picking out the inaccuracies, Jim, in that scene towards the end where you see the statues on pallets in the courtyard of some building, pallets hadn't been invented until some time later.

Ausfree
7th September 2014, 08:33 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

While you're picking out the inaccuracies, Jim, in that scene towards the end where you see the statues on pallets in the courtyard of some building, pallets hadn't been invented until some time later.

Yeah thanks for that Mick, I do remember seeing pallets but did not give it a thought as to when they were invented.:) With the Bruges Madonna, the original is holding the baby in the right arm and the one in the movie is holding the baby in the left arm and also the two statues look completely different.