PDA

View Full Version : Hit a bird last night

crash
15th November 2013, 07:33 AM
On the way home yesterday , doing 100kms when 3 small birds flew up and I collected one to the top of my helmet. Made a nice thump as it hit but continued on okay.

A number of years ago I nearly hit a roo, it bounded down a slope as I was rounding a corner, and as it was in the am the road was a bit slippery from morning dew the roo slipped in front of me, I still remember looking at that roos hind foot as I just miss it by a centimeter or two with the front wheel. On the same trip I was following a vehicle towing a garden trailer when the tyre on the trailer blew apart, and I had to dodge flying rubber as the tyre came apart.

Have you hit any wildlife before on the bike?

PhilipA
15th November 2013, 08:47 AM
About 30 years ago I was running in press test BMWs R1000s with another BMW bloke and he hit a seagull with the RH cylinder. He was in front and I had the aroma of roasting seagull for the next couple of hours.

I hit an Indian Miner on the way to work one morning about 10 years ago on my Hornet 900. Got him at about 70kmh with my right knuckle . Even though I had armour on my glove it hurt a LOT.
Regards Philip A

lewy
15th November 2013, 03:32 PM
a swarm of bees at about a 100 kms on a hot day,I reckon i had 20 in the full face helmet with,not to mention all that went into the collar of the jacket.I can still see the helmet bouncing down the road at about 50 km's after i dragged it off.glad funniest home vids wern't around in the 70's.

33chinacars
15th November 2013, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't be the first time I've had a bee hanging out the end of my nose still buzzing around. And I'm becoming allergic to bees.

Also many years ago on t a trip to QLD hit a kangaroo at 130 kph. Bent engine bar/ foot peg/ exhaust. Pannier bag went for a trip down the road. Luckily I didn't and road it out. Mainly I think due to my speed & the weight of the bike. Kangaroo's leg was broken in many places. Thought mine may have been also but after x-ray's in Theodore all was good just badly banged up. Bloody sore for the next few weeks.

Gary

russ55
15th November 2013, 06:07 PM
Mate got a bunny jammed fair in the front spokes years ago. He was in a suit on a first date.
It didn't last.

RisingSun
18th November 2013, 08:50 PM
I was scooting at about 140 when a roo jumped out further up the road, knowing that where there is one there is another I started taking speed off. Sure enough the 2nd one appeared, got 3/4 across the road, then turned around :eek:
Stuck my leg out and gave it a boot at about 30km/h and sent it scooting along the road, continued on to the Gold Coast (about 80Kms). When I finally arrived my hip was totally locked up and could barely walk. Worked for the day and then had a very sore ride home.
The hip stayed sore for about 4 weeks, still far better them taking a trip down the road and fixing the bike.

rangieman
18th November 2013, 09:50 PM
My old Fj1200 at 110 k/mh on the h/way hit a fox at night cracked the belly pan fairing , One less fox ;) Just kept on motoring along :)