PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 1KZ-TE

Rick1970
29th September 2014, 08:52 PM
Whats the chances of a Toyota 1KZ-TE 3L TD (in a Surf) surviving a timing belt failure with no internal damage at approx 2000rpm?

Owner said no odd metallic noises when it broke, and wound it over with the starter later with no odd noises. I have now seen it as yet.

Friend wants me to throw a belt on it and see what happens.

Bushy049
29th September 2014, 10:53 PM
Based on past stories of various broken timing belts. I was also shown a cam shaft out of a landcruisers that was in 3 pieces once. I would suggest not a hope but like everything there is also that 1 in a million chance. Will be very interested to know the outcome

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using AULRO mobile app

BigJon
30th September 2014, 06:35 AM
It is about a 30 minute job to do, so worth a shot. Although 45 seconds of googling tells me they are an interference engine.

Dougal
30th September 2014, 09:47 AM
I've heard some engines are fitted with sacrificial parts like rockers. So in the event of a belt failure the valves and pistons survive but the rockers get replaced.

But I've never seen them myself. Nor have I seen under the rocker cover of a 1KZ.

Rick1970
30th September 2014, 05:11 PM
Talked to a ex Toyota mechanic who came into work today today. Said was reasonably common, probably idler or adjuster failure as well if belt hasn't done that many km (no idea how many km on the belt). More than likely bent valves, at lest.

Advised if didn't want to remove head and check, fit new belt and manually turn over.
If hard to turn over but nothing touches, fire up and see. If turns over easy, well...........

chopper
30th September 2014, 06:19 PM
I've heard some engines are fitted with sacrificial parts like rockers. So in the event of a belt failure the valves and pistons survive but the rockers get replaced.

But I've never seen them myself. Nor have I seen under the rocker cover of a 1KZ.

I broke 2 rockers on an early 2.2 hilux diesel years ago after a belt slip and replaced the rockers and it went again , lucky I spose . Valves would have to be perpendicular to the piston.

Rick1970
8th October 2014, 05:02 PM
Appears to have broken the idler/bracket as well. Replacement idler and tensioner should be here Friday. Fit it Saturday and cross fingers I guess.

Rick1970
11th October 2014, 03:51 PM
Belt and idler fitted, winds over, seems to have compression but its a non starter. No fuel at injectors.

looks to be a electronically controlled VE type pump. Bleeding didn't help. Couldn't find any blown fuses. Electrical connections at pump seem good. Didn't have a test light or multimeter on hand.

Any ideas?

The block of wood holding the starter motor in place ended up falling out, so I went home.....Oh what a feeling! :p

Bushy049
13th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Try a hot wire from 12 volts to the fuel solenoid. Block of wood???? How rough is this thing

Rick1970
13th October 2014, 06:03 PM
Try a hot wire from 12 volts to the fuel solenoid. Block of wood???? How rough is this thing

Don't thing the fuel solenoid is just a solenoid as such...appears to be at lest part controlled by the ECU.

Its rough...rite down to the pod filter floating around in the bottom of the airbox...essentially the only air filtration is the plastic screen on the snorkel.

Bushy049
15th October 2014, 09:42 PM
Sorry for trying to lead you astray forgot they had an ecu I was thinking old school. Hehe yer sounds rough

Bushy049
15th October 2014, 09:43 PM
At least it stops the rocks getting in and rattling around in the air box ;)

4x4 MORE
16th October 2014, 07:34 AM
I broke 2 rockers on an early 2.2 hilux diesel years ago after a belt slip and replaced the rockers and it went again , lucky I spose . Valves would have to be perpendicular to the piston.

That's a Generation 1 Hilux 4wd right? There are nearly none left!:eek:

Rick1970
25th November 2014, 07:57 PM
Dragged this thing back to my place on the weekend. Bodged up the starter so it didn't fall out, redone a bit of wiring.....hit the key...and it fired, but only on 3 cylinders :angry:

Owners are talking commo V6 conversion, something I really REALLY don't want to do.

So looks like its a head off job :angry:

Dougal
26th November 2014, 06:31 AM
Dragged this thing back to my place on the weekend. Bodged up the starter so it didn't fall out, redone a bit of wiring.....hit the key...and it fired, but only on 3 cylinders :angry:

Owners are talking commo V6 conversion, something I really REALLY don't want to do.

So looks like its a head off job :angry:

Commodore conversion sounds like a great way to increase fuel consumption and slaughter resale.

Compression test?

Rick1970
26th November 2014, 09:07 AM
I don't own a diesel compression tester, so no compression test.

Its currently running on 3, with no odd noises (bar the obvious miss). Thinking if it had actually dropped a valve, there would be a fair amount of banging and clattering going on, so hoping its just a bent valve.

Their thinking is buy a cheap VR-VS commodore for $500, bring it to me and pick up the surf in a few weeks with it fitted and running :o. I see 6G and 6 months....at least. Its auto, and needs to stay auto.

If it was running with the original motor, its probably worth 2G, 2.5 tops. They paid 4.5G for it.

Its been dusted, run with an unattached pod filter. The underside of my Rangie is cleaner than the pipe from the filter box to turbo on this thing. But they want to persist with it.

I just wanna go outside without seeing a dead Toyota in my yard :D

Gerokent
26th November 2014, 10:32 AM
It seems strange how some people can have a facination with a Toyota :D