PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Preppers.

disco man
2nd October 2014, 07:50 PM
I have only seen a coupe of episodes of this show and i can't work out if these people have a genuine reason for what they are doing or are they just jumping at shadows. Some of the scenarios seem like they could happen,but are these people wasting their lives on something that might never eventuate. And why is the rest of the world not storing ten years worth of dogfood in the basement.Are they paranoid or are we not paranoid enough? Any thoughts on this guys?

goanna_shire
2nd October 2014, 08:01 PM
I think when your times up that's it. I might just go and sit in the 110 if anything happens. That's my contingency.

Brian.

disco man
2nd October 2014, 08:07 PM
I think when your times up that's it. I might just go and sit in the 110 if anything happens. That's my contingency.

Brian.

G'day Brian,how have you been mate? Its been a while since i heard from you. I have seen your beast of a car,she probably would withstand a bomb blast!! We should get together some time,my girls were asking about Cass the other day. Cass gave my little one a stick from the beach thats still in the car,she wont let me throw it away:)

Carzee
2nd October 2014, 08:18 PM

Brian.

I have watched a couple of shows. My take on the prepper people is that type A are nutjobs who assume post-emergency people who knock at their door are all inner city ferals and type B are genuinely taking precautions due to having had a bad experience in an emergency of some kind and they see that to be waiting or expecting "The Feds" to come to the rescue is a disaster. There are too many people for the Feds to help or worse (the Feds are incompetent and out of their depth). See Katrina/New Orleans.

One thing came up which I thought was getting at the bones of the "Prepper" mindset; in our DNA we are hunters and if the thin blue line goes down in a big city then in a few days you surrounded by a million hunters looking for prey. Community cohesion? Civilisation? Nah, not nowadays in many big cities. Even merry England had days of looters a few years back. USA has its riots and looting...

disco man
2nd October 2014, 08:33 PM
I have watched a couple of shows. My take on the prepper people is that type A are nutjobs who assume post-emergency people who knock at their door are all inner city ferals and type B are genuinely taking precautions due to having had a bad experience in an emergency of some kind and they see that to be waiting or expecting "The Feds" to come to the rescue is a disaster. There are too many people for the Feds to help or worse (the Feds are incompetent and out of their depth). See Katrina/New Orleans.

One thing came up which I thought was getting at the bones of the "Prepper" mindset; in our DNA we are hunters and if the thin blue line goes down in a big city then in a few days you surrounded by a million hunters looking for prey. Community cohesion? Civilisation? Nah, not nowadays in many big cities. Even merry England had days of looters a few years back. USA has its riots and looting...

The collapse of America's economy seemed like a hard one to believe. But i think your right,looting would be the order of the day,plus a good old fashion riot.

Mick_Marsh
2nd October 2014, 08:39 PM
Everyone's got to have a hobby.
I hear there are some nutbags who collect Landrovers.

disco man
2nd October 2014, 08:51 PM
Everyone's got to have a hobby.
I hear there are some nutbags who collect Landrovers.

Worst hobby out there:D

goanna_shire
2nd October 2014, 09:33 PM
i think your right,looting would be the order of the day,plus a good old fashion riot.

I would find it hard to believe there is anything in Townsville worth looting. Would be interesting to see what happened if the proverbial hit the fan :p.

There would be lots of scared kangaroos, Pigs and bandicoots :D.

Scouse
3rd October 2014, 07:30 AM
And why is the rest of the world not storing ten years worth of dogfood in the basement.I know someone who does pretty much the same but they keep theirs out in the countryside somewhere.

PhilipA
3rd October 2014, 08:30 AM
I remember Colonel David Hackworth of Apocalypse Now fame , used to run a restaurant in Brisbane after the Vietnam war.

He then decided to set up a survival camp in the mountains near Brisbane.
Nothing heard then until AFAIR recall he turned up as a TV commentator during the gulf war.
So doomsday people do not always stay doomsday people.

David Hackworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hackworth)
Regards Philip A

singlecell
3rd October 2014, 09:23 AM
I have seen the show and if they are genuine about what they are doing then I don't think advertising on TV what and where your storing your goods is a smart idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AULRO mobile app

AnD3rew
3rd October 2014, 09:36 AM
I kind of laugh at them, but then I have to admit that I somewhat subconsciously/ semi-consciously do think about preparedness for things like a major natural disaster.

I have thought about how I could use my camping gear, Landrover etc to be able to comfortably get through a couple of weeks without power and services. This is not so far fetched my parents had no power or phone for over a week in the last Brisbane Floods. People in major cities have been faced with these situations in a number of countries due to natural disasters.

I am conscious to keep the long range tank in my D3 full and with a dual battery kit I can use my car as a generator to keep my two fridges and lights running for quite some time. and I have some long leads with Anderson plugs so I could use the D3 to bring power into the house for LED camping lights and fridges. My Camper trailer also has a large solar array and another deep cycle battery. I have enough jerry cans to store and carry 180 litres of water and I have two rainwater tanks on the house as and I always have a lifestraw and some water purification tablets around.

I also am conscious to keep some gas bottles full. I will usually have two 4 kilo gas bottles and at least 1 of my two 9kilo bottles full as well as some butane cartridges so cooking and heating is ok. I have flints in the car for fire and several first aid kits.

I also keep a couple of tubs of camping canned and packet food around so we can go camping at short notice but also good for a disaster, and we also always buy extra rice, pasta and canned food etc so we could eat basics for at least a week or so.

If we have to get out then most of this could be packed into the D3 and camper trailer and taken with us.

Between gas, diesel, and solar we could easily be self sufficient for at least a week probably 2 without power or services either at home or out bush. Much longer if we can access or find/hunt food.

gossamer
3rd October 2014, 12:25 PM
I think its some of the funniest stuff on telly :D the episode i watched the other day, the first ones were concerned with Americas debt to china and belived china were going to take over. they even had home made bombs hidden under rocks :eek:. the second couple were preparing for the end of the world in 2012, they were converting all their spare cash into gold and silver because they belive thats what will be tradable. Funny thing was they were showing everyone where they buried it. i wonder if they look back on the show and what they think about it now or have they moved on to another doomsday?

vnx205
3rd October 2014, 01:03 PM
That mind set reminds me of the Cold War.

In the early 1960s, the American publication "Popular Mechanics" approached someone who had written a few articles for them and asked if they were prepared to take part in an experiment.

When the family agreed, they were told to imagine that the nuclear war that people feared then had happened. They were then told that they had 10 minutes to pack everything they needed to survive for a couple of weeks into their station wagon.

They knew of a spot they had camped before, so they packed and left and survived for the few weeks that people thought then would be enough to survive after a nuclear war with Russia.

I was a young teenager at the time and i still remember two fairly useless pieces of information from the article. They said that if they had to do it again they would take more coffee because reboiled grounds didn't make very good coffee.

They also said they would ensure that the hooks on all the coat hangers in the wardrobe faced the same way. That way they could save precious seconds when they grabbed a bundle of clothes. :)

People took the threat of nuclear war fairly seriously then. Even though it didn't happen, it was probably a more likely scenario than some of the things modern doomsday preppers worry about.

Carzee
3rd October 2014, 01:53 PM
Some things come up which are useful to consider - the way we depend on the electric grid, because without it;

Credit cards are switched off.
Petrol Station bowser pumps stop in a blackout (some bush ones may have a generator but 99pc...) So a manual pump or lotsa full jerrys would be a great asset. But how long does petrol or diesel last in a jerry? I may have to look that up.
And air compressors? Better have your own.
And google maps is no substitute for real maps.
Get a CB, mobile cell towers are hooked up to the power grid also.

Plus..
First Aid kits have to be worth the name. And with a guide book.

But this sort of common sense stuff on the show is overshadowed by all the over-the-top weapons stashing and ammo supplies etc. "My 8 year old can strip and re-assemble a M16 in the dark" stuff.

crash
5th November 2014, 09:01 PM
Their is being prepared for natural disasters then their are the Doom day preppers - in my opinion two different kettle of fish and just confirms my opinion that americans are afraid of themselves, and do not trust their neighbour.

workingonit
6th November 2014, 11:03 AM
Live in Darwin and you will see what prepping really means. See the shelves empty rapidly at the slightest hint of a cyclone hit. Even if not direct hit, the rail and roads often get washed out, leading to shortages. No riots yet...too hot! :)

gusthedog
6th November 2014, 11:09 AM
I find the nut jobs hilarious but have stopped watching it as I feel sorry for the kids whose loony parents make them home school and prepare for the end of the world instead of letting them be kids. ;)

Carzee
6th November 2014, 03:41 PM
I find the nut jobs hilarious but have stopped watching it as I feel sorry for the kids whose loony parents make them home school and prepare for the end of the world instead of letting them be kids. ;)

There was a mention in the news somewhere yesterday about the apocalyptic-indocrinated yanks who worry about... everything.... as having PTSD ((Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder)). :)

p38arover
6th November 2014, 05:00 PM
For a real prepper, there's this: ATLAS F MISSILE BASE SILOHOME LUXURY HOME WITH PRIVATE AIRPORT (http://www.silohome.com/)

goingbush
6th November 2014, 05:12 PM
I don't watch TV or read the paper so don't know of the show but I get the gist of the topic, haven't you guys ever heard of the Carrington Event

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859)

if a similar Coronal Mass Ejection occurred today, and it could happen at any time, the world as you know it would cease to exist. It could happen anytime

'Pushed back to the Stone Age': massive solar storm missed Earth by just one week (http://www.smh.com.au/environment/pushed-back-to-the-stone-age-massive-solar-storm-missed-earth-by-just-one-week-20140725-zwo0c.html)

You blokes that run Tdi's on Biofuel must be Preppers

I guess Im a nut job too as I carry survival gear and have a post apocalyptic strategy (not just from CME, but from any disaster, be buggered if Im going to sit back and wait for the riots.

goingbush
6th November 2014, 05:16 PM
For a real prepper, there's this: ATLAS F MISSILE BASE SILOHOME LUXURY HOME WITH PRIVATE AIRPORT (http://www.silohome.com/)

I love it.

you ever seen the movie "Blast from the past"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhMQOb0tEmI