PDA

View Full Version : Touring or dome tent?

Greylandy
27th January 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi good people of AULRO,

Time has come to replace my old faithfull dome tent ... served me well and outlasted any of my prior expectations. Now it's time to upgrade.

Easy I hear you say! 8) Not when the good lady wife has anything to say about it. 8O

My Argument
I would like to get a canvas touring tent .. something that goes up and down in rapid time ... big enough to sleep 2 people (that relates to a 4 man!) and includes an awning with sides so I'm not forced to erect a tarp when only staying for a night.

Enter the Oztent RV .. exactly what I want style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif .. the only downside is the price (especially when you include the side and front panels). However, because we go camping on a regular basis I reckon I can justify the cost.

I don't want a dome tent purely because anything that is a decent size is always time consuming to pitch especially if you want one with proper headroom. But .. and don't tell my wife ... they are relatively cheap in comparison.

Her Argument
Why pay over a $1000 for a tent if you can buy a perfectly good dome tent for a third of the price. We've been using our old dome tent for 4 years now and after the first few goes we can put it up relatively quickly.

Enter the Coleman Northstar 8. Got good headroom and going on what other people say ... is relatively easy to pitch. It's also considerably cheaper than the Oztent or any other touring tent.

"I also dislike these canvas tents with the tapered roof and centre pole because they don't have a second room for gear ... and by the way ... they look stupid!" :roll: :wink:

Now I would like to know ... what do you prefer and why?

noddy
27th January 2005, 04:36 PM
Howdy Henry!

Can I throw another one into the mix?

How about a rooftop tent (Howling Moon, Hannibal & Ezi-awn). http://www.opensky.com.au/RTTHMSub.htm

I have just been thru the same discussions that I think you are having at the moment :roll:

They are quick to erect, hold two animals :wink: and you can fit an awning to the vehicle to provide some cover when cooking etc.

The only downsides that I can see are:
- getting in and out after having a few wee brewskies style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
- need to pack up if wanting to use GreyLandy :?

Just 2 cents worth.

rmp
27th January 2005, 04:47 PM
Canvas tent, no question. Reasons:

1. It is far easier to put up than a dome, especially in wet or windy conditions. I can do ours inside 5 minutes, in a wet gale, by myself. In fact, I'd bet I could erect and then dismantle my canvas in less time it would take one person to erect a dome.

2. It's tougher.

3. Easier to pack away and clean.

4. Excellent headroom.

You can get sidemount kits (no centre pole), and the larger ones have plenty of room inside. There are optional anwings too.

We have a dome tent which is unused now.

However, we tend not to base camp. Two days is a long time in one spot for us. If we were base campers, the dome argument would be stronger.

Looks stupid? Well, if looks are important I can be of no assistance, that's far too subjective. But I'd say that wet people struggling with tents turning into kites tend to look a little silly.

Consider tents from the likes of Southern Cross.

Gaz69
27th January 2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Robert,
I bought a Howling Moon roof top tent at Christmas time. It take less than 5 minutes to unfold and is off the ground from Snakes, Crocs, and anything else that shouldn't be in there. The tourer version i got has an optional anexe that can be installed if needed for longer stays. The only disadvantage is price. But cheaper than towing a $20000 - $30000 camper trailer. Will try and post some photos but have had no luck recently.

Gaz

KEV0044
27th January 2005, 05:06 PM

Greylandy
27th January 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by rmp+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rmp)</div><div class='quotemain'>Looks stupid? Well, if looks are important I can be of no assistance, that's far too subjective. But I'd say that wet people struggling with tents turning into kites tend to look a little silly.[/b]

Rob, since when is a womens point of view not subjective :wink: (... looking quickly over my shoulder in case the wife is reading this! ... argghh ... too late ... she slapped me!!!)

We also tend not to stay more than 2 days in one spot .. hence my argument for a canvas touring tent. I'll have a look at Southern Cross .. thanks Rob.

<!--QuoteBegin-noddy
Howdy Henry!

How about a rooftop tent (Howling Moon, Hannibal & Ezi-awn).http://www.opensky.com.au/RTTHMSub.htm[/quote]

Thanks Noddy ... I did consider a rooftop tent ... but like you say ... when you want to setup camp and go for a drive later .. you have to packup the tent. The biggest problem is we carry a 7m double kayak .. which might be a problem with a rooftop tent.

Maybe I can bring my wife along to Aces BBQ .. and you guys can convince her a canvas touring tent is the way to go 8) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

rmp
27th January 2005, 05:12 PM
Get your wife to email me and I'll put her in touch with mine, who is also convinced of the merits of canvas tents.

As for looks, my argument in that case to mine is; well, look what you married!

Greylandy
27th January 2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rmp
As for looks, my argument in that case to mine is; well, look what you married!

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Greylandy
27th January 2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by KEV0044
Carlton Canvas - make some great tents that won the ' Best Tent ' award in Choice magazine in 2000 .
I have two 'Bus Tents' from Carlton Canvas - and can highly recommend them .

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you got some contact details or a website where I can get info on the tents from Carlton Canvas?

robb
27th January 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi mate, we have an Oztent RV, great tent. no complaints except for the pack away size. If you are cool with having to always sling it up onto the roofrack then you will be happy... On the other hand, when I go away for short trips and the car is packed to the eyeballs, I take my Microfast tent. So quick to put up and can survive a 60mph wind on the plains outside of White Cliffs....

Cheers

one_iota
27th January 2005, 06:47 PM
Henry,

I have a 30 second Oztent: The biggest available at the time.

I usually travel alone.

I selected the tent because:

Arriving at a site at night and when it is raining and windy I can put the tent up without help and sleep in a dry tent. I couldn't do this in any other.

The down side is that it has to go on the roof racks and this requires some effort and affects the aerodynamics: cross winds and fuel economy.

Canvas will last.

I have friends with a Serengeti Canvas Dome tent and love it but you need a loving partner for this.

If you are at Aces BBQ I will show you my tent.

LRHybrid100
27th January 2005, 06:50 PM
Hey Henry,

Are you coming to Ace's BBQII? If so One-Iota has a Oztent and will be there (last time I looked anyway) - nice unit but takes up a lot of room on the roof.

LRH

one_iota
27th January 2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by LRHybrid100
Hey Henry,

Are you coming to Ace's BBQII? If so One-Iota has a Oztent and will be there (last time I looked anyway) - nice unit but takes up a lot of room on the roof.

LRH

Spookey 8O

noddy
27th January 2005, 06:57 PM
Sounds like there could be some 'bed-swapping' at the BBQ Ace! 8O

Are you sure this is not a swingers BBQ? :?

one_iota
27th January 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Noddy
Sounds like there could be some 'bed-swapping' at the BBQ Ace! 8O

Are you sure this is not a swingers BBQ? :?

Maybe I should bring one of the spare tents!

DEFENDERZOOK
27th January 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Noddy
Howdy Henry!

How about a rooftop tent (Howling Moon, Hannibal & Ezi-awn). http://www.opensky.com.au/RTTHMSub.htm

I have just been thru the same discussions that I think you are having at the moment :roll:

They are quick to erect, hold two animals :wink: and you can fit an awning to the vehicle to provide some cover when cooking etc.

The only downsides that I can see are:
- getting in and out after having a few wee brewskies style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
- need to pack up if wanting to use GreyLandy :?

Just 2 cents worth.

have you considered fitting one onto a box trailer?
fit a kitchen inside, all your gear, and everything else you need and leave the vehicle light on its suspension for the great roads.
when its play time just unhook it and play.

Pirate
27th January 2005, 10:08 PM
I know this decision only too well...

I went through the same issues and ended up buying a Freedom Camping (Elizabeth St, Melbourne) "Family Tourer" tent which is the larger version of thier sqaure touring tent which is similar to the southercross tents.

I can get it set up in about 4 minutes from scratch. Packing away takes about 10 min.

Would sleep about 6 easily but is great to fit 4 plus all your luggage

Know the hardest thing is getting the wife to actually leave the house!!!! so in hind site I should have gone the cheap nylon option rather than over a grand of canvass!!!! Does anyone in Perth want to buy a great Canvass Tent??????

Most of the time I am out with one kid and me, so she sleeps in the defender and I have a swag that suits me fine. Not just a normal swag....this is the full poofters swag, with end hoops, sandfly mesh and a 75mm mattress Is great.

Good luck

hiline
27th January 2005, 10:52 PM
poofter :wink: :wink:

you said it style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

disco95
28th January 2005, 05:31 AM
I can honestly say, I'd never get into a poofters swag 8O

Greylandy
28th January 2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys ... looks like I've got a few more options to think about. 8O style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

LRH, Noddy, OI .. I'll be at Ace's BBQ so I can have a look at One_Iota's Oztent. I must say it's the front runner at the moment.

matbor
28th January 2005, 09:08 AM
I have a touring tent, picked it up second hand for $200, best money I have ever spent. I can have it up in less than 4 mins, 4 pegs and 1 pole.

Only problem I have at the moment is the size it packs up to. Normally though I put it on the roof racks or in the back seat (in between the seats) and the other problem is I don't have an awning yet !! I have heard that the awning takes a bit longer to put up.

Matt.