PDA

View Full Version : RRS 2014 as Outback Tourer

Lindisfarne
14th October 2014, 04:06 PM
Now that the new RRS has been around for a little while, has anybody kitted one out for outback touring, e.g. Melbourne to Broome via the Canning? I'm not sure that it's not a bit too tightly packaged to fit required accessories. Fortunately it would just be two of us which leaves the back seat space free to use. More specifically:

1. Fuel range, any chance of an auxiliary tank? Or remove the rear seat and carry jerrys of diesel and water across the rear seat space. I'm thinking V8 diesel which has a slightly larger tank for range.

2. Is there space for a 2nd battery and can one be permanently wired in without issue? It would be a five seat car, would a battery fit under the rear floor with the spare out and on the roof? Carry two spares and a tent on the roof?

3. Is there enough depth in the rear to fit a fridge (40l Engel) in a drawer setup with a cargo barrier?

4. I think the Cooper Zeon tyres would suit the 20" rims.

5. I think the factory suspension/shocks would suit with the off road height holding to a higher speed now compared to the older model.

Alternatively I would wait for the new Disco 5 which will likely be a very similar car but with more space.

Your experiences would be much appreciated.

Graeme
14th October 2014, 05:37 PM
with the off road height holding to a higher speed now compared to the older modelOnly the 35mm OR1 height but I expect the D5 will be the same anyway.

CSBrisie
14th October 2014, 06:01 PM
Firstly, I think you would be one of the first to kit out a new Sport - so may well be some teething issues. Main one is tyres ofcourse. If you stick with the TDV8 you wont be able to fit anything less than 19 inch rims. You can fit the LTZ (I have on my RRV) and they are much better than the stock tyres, but obviously nowhere near as good as 18's with light truck strength. Experience of others seems the key with the 20's is keep pressures higher when off road than you might think (to give greater cushioning) and keep load levels to a minimum.

1. Fuel range, any chance of an auxiliary tank?

Dont think so - yet - but take a look at the Dolium website for options of removeable tanks etc

2. Is there space for a 2nd battery and can one be permanently wired in without issue? It would be a five seat car, would a battery fit under the rear floor with the spare out and on the roof? Carry two spares and a tent on the roof?

Not sure but I suspect someone on here will know - a 75aH Thumper sitting under the rear fllor (wired in) might be a good option to run fridge etc.

3. Is there enough depth in the rear to fit a fridge (40l Engel) in a drawer setup with a cargo barrier?

I suspect so - but not difficult to measure up. Think you would need a "box" around 600mm height inclusive of base, fridge slide and breathing space. Depth - not sure - but you can have a shorter "box roof" than box base to allow for the sloping rear seat/barrier and sloping rear tailgate.

I'm getting Drifta to make me a fridge box for my MY12 Vogue (with slide) for ARB 47litre, which then sits on a false floor, bolted into rear tie down points. I sent them the measurements and they custom build it noting (unlike the Disco) you have that sloping rear tail gate to deal with!

Yep, as good as you will get - Cooper website still has the guy with the a Sport on 20's as their "Testamonial" so to speak - (but also Nitto Terra Grappers and some others). Lots on this topic on here if you search under 20 inch rims and off road tyres.

5. I think the factory suspension/shocks would suit with the off road height holding to a higher speed now compared to the older model.

Yes, but, if fitted with CVD (continuous variable dampening I think...) shocks - note the experience under the L322 Forum of a guy who did the Gibb River road and had a shockie failure.

Alternatively I would wait for the new Disco 5 which will likely be a very similar car but with more space.

Or just buy a D4 with the Lot and spend the difference on kitting it out with ease.........! ;):D

Your experiences would be much appreciated

gghaggis
14th October 2014, 06:55 PM

I noted a few things with the SDV6 I had for a weekend:

1. Oversize 20" tyres will be more of a problem than I thought, because of the clearance of the forged upper control arm. I think 275/45R20 will be the largest that will fit.

2. The car already has a 2nd battery, albeit rather low in capacity. Still, you might be able to upgrade it.

Cheers,

Gordon

Graeme
14th October 2014, 07:01 PM
The car already has a 2nd battery, albeit rather low in capacity.Do you know the purpose of the 2nd battery? I noted that its not permanently connected to the primary but didn't have time to expore possibilities other than see that its small for its mounted location.

gghaggis
14th October 2014, 07:14 PM
Do you know the purpose of the 2nd battery? I noted that its not permanently connected to the primary but didn't have time to expore possibilities other than see that its small for its mounted location.

I didn't get the chance to explore it fully, but from what I was told, it runs the internal accessories circuits, so that the primary (cranking) can't be flattened by accessories.

Cheers,

Gordon

Meken
14th October 2014, 07:49 PM
I didn't get the chance to explore it fully, but from what I was told, it runs the internal accessories circuits, so that the primary (cranking) can't be flattened by accessories.

Cheers,

Gordon

That's a smart idea!

Lindisfarne
14th October 2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks Gordon. I wasn't aware that the factory 2nd battery was isolated from the cranking battery on shutdown. Having a second battery already built in solves one problem, if it can fit a battery robust enough to run the fridge.

discojools
15th October 2014, 11:52 AM
Gordon,
Where is the second battery? With the spare tyre in the back? Took a friends SDV6 to Sunset/Murray and Little Desert NW Victoria a few weeks ago. I was in my D4 and a 70 series TDV8 LC came also.I suggested to him that the standard tyres would need replacing. Went for Pirelli ATRs 275/45/20. They performed well in the sand, even in the mud on the old mail route to Mildura. No rubbing. Also no difference on the road as far as I could tell .Very quiet. May get some for my RRS when funds allow.
RRS made everything look easy.
When we going to hear of your Simpson trip?

Jools.

jon3950
15th October 2014, 12:07 PM

Yes they would, but...

I have had good results using LTZs in both 19" and 20" on a few outback trips and other rocky places like the High Country and I feel pretty comfortable in suggesting that they would be the pick of current tyres for off-road work in those sizes (not including the Duratracs which are now available in 19"). They will get you into a lot more places than you might expect.

Now here's the but.

They are still a lightweight, low profile passenger tyre and their sustained performance in harsh conditions is really only marginal. While I really like them and have not been able to fault their performance on my trips, others have had a lot of problems with them, especially when towing. I can only put this down to me being very careful (anal) managing pressures and speeds, and also travelling relatively lightly. There is also always an element of luck.

I have also only been prepared to undertake relatively easy trips in areas that cannot be considered remote - never more than a days drive from civilisation. To me, relying on any tyre of this construction in real remote areas is too big a risk.

For a trip like the Canning, you will be heavily laden with fuel and water, which is where these tyres struggle. You will also need to run relatively low pressures (which would still be high) thus exposing the sidewalls to irreparable damage. Not to mention the risk of wheel damage.

I'm not saying these tyres can't do a trip like this and I may be overly cautious, but to me the risk of failure would be too high. Even if they did make it, to me the constant worry and care required would lessen the enjoyment of the trip.

Do the GOE 18"s fit?

Cheers,
Jon

Graeme
15th October 2014, 03:22 PM
Where is the second battery? With the spare tyre in the back?The primary battery sits behind the spare wheel in the well and the secondary up on the rhs basically above the wheel arch and forward of the fuse panel and various ecus.

discojools
15th October 2014, 06:27 PM
I have to correct myself. The size of the Pirelli ATR fitted to my friends new RRS is 275/55/20. I have looked on Pirelli website and no longer listed.

Lindisfarne
22nd October 2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks all for your replies. This is one of those heart v head issues. Heart says a RRS would be great, head says packaging issues and tyres a risk for remote conditions. The GOE 18's don't fit, if they did I'd be very tempted to go with the RRS. A D4 would be ideal but I like the idea of the new tech aluminium construction etc, I'm the type who can't bear to buy knowing an all new, all singing version is around the corner. The rational decision is to do the Canning in my current 6 yo Pajero diesel which is already fitted out for touring with long range tank, LT tyres etc. I guess I'll be an early adopter of the D5!