PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen blind/shade

DiscoFan
7th November 2014, 02:57 PM
Hi guys, thought I'd use the $100 voucher Land Rover sent me to purchase a D4 windscreen blind, only to find out is costs a staggering $180! So, time to hunt around for an alternative.

What's everybody else using? Has anyone found a generic windscreen blind/shade that fits the D4 windscreen ok?

Pickles2
8th November 2014, 06:15 AM
What is a windscreen blind?
Pickles.

RickO
8th November 2014, 07:05 AM
Hi DiscoFan,

I've always found the $10 ones from SupaCrap, BigW etc good enough - just expand and use the sunshades to hold up.

RickO

Pickles2
8th November 2014, 07:42 AM
Oh, you mean a windscreen "shade" that keeps the sun out when the car's parked.
If that's what you want, then none of the rubbish you see at Supercheap etc that fold out "inside" the car are any good,..because the heat's already in the car.
What you need, & what I use, is something that goes across the full "outside" of the windscreen which covers ALL of the windscreen, & keeps ALL of the sun out,.......and I made it myself.
All you have to do is go to Clark Rubber or similar, get yourself a sheet of UV resistant rubber sheet (just thin stuff, so you can roll it up), cut it to size, (of your windscreen) with a flap on each side to be caught on closed doors to hold in place.
They used to sell similar items, but haven't seen 'em for years, now just the inside stuff, which is useless.
Pickles.

DiscoFan
8th November 2014, 08:36 AM
Sounds interesting, got any pics, Pickles2?

LeighW
8th November 2014, 08:46 AM
Sounds interesting, got any pics, Pickles2?

Yes, as DiscoFan says, plus any more details please?

Pickles2
8th November 2014, 10:05 AM
I haven't because Wifey & I are hopeless with computers.
But it's all quite simple, just go to Clark Rubber or the like, & get a sheet of rubber/plastic or whatever, it's kept in rolls, buy 3 or 4 meters.
Then use old newspapers to get the shape of your windscreen, paste together, then cut to shape. When you've done this, simply cut your plastic sheet to size using the template you've made from newspaper, and you've got your windscreen cover,.... which keeps out every scrap of heat that would normally come through your windscreen.
I used UV resistant material, but anything will do, ya'd probably find rolls of plastic sheet in Bunnings,...I mean, all it has to do is stop the sun coming through the windscreen!
Pickles.
NB: I'll really have to get Wifey to sort out this image stuff, she not very good at it, but she's better than me.

101RRS
8th November 2014, 12:54 PM
Crikey some of you guys make it hard for yourselves :D.

Going to Clark Rubber - making patterns out of newspaper - snip snip snip.

Why not do what Ricko suggested and go to an auto accessories shop and buy one. I bought one between the previous and this post so not hard to find :D.

$9.99 at Auto Pro and $12.99 at Supercheap.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=86725&d=1415415169

rufusking
8th November 2014, 02:14 PM
I've used that style for a number of years but do be cautious if it looks like rain. The water follows the flap that holds the shade in the door seals and you'll finish up with wet foot wells.

101RRS
8th November 2014, 02:15 PM
How is the $180 genuine LR item held on??

letherm
8th November 2014, 02:23 PM
How is the $180 genuine LR item held on??

For that price they must supply a guy to sit inside and hold it in place. :wasntme:

dmdigital
8th November 2014, 06:45 PM
Just bought a $10 one from SCA today. Not that the D4 seems to get that hot inside, but that could the privacy glass and tinted front windows :)

~Rich~
8th November 2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah me too, I've only used exterior ones as I also believe that the shield MUST be on the outside of the vehicle.
The Supercheap one that Garrycol has the photo of works fine, I've never had an issue with water following the flap in.

DiscoFan
21st December 2014, 07:41 PM
Picked up one of the SCA ones today as well. Works really well and only $12. Job done.

Pickles2
21st December 2014, 08:12 PM
Picked up one of the SCA ones today as well. Works really well and only $12. Job done.
Outside one?
Pickles.

DiscoFan
22nd December 2014, 06:34 AM
Outside one?
Pickles.

Yep. Fits the Disco screen well too.

Pickles2
22nd December 2014, 06:46 AM
Yep. Fits the Disco screen well too.
From Supercheap?
Pickles.

DiscoFan
22nd December 2014, 09:02 AM
From Supercheap?
Pickles.

Yup.

Tombie
26th December 2014, 02:40 AM
Mount Eliza, Melbourne - Sun Shield...

Really? You guys taking the **** or what :twisted:

RANDLOVER
26th December 2014, 07:35 PM
The sunshield is probably worth getting in Melbourne and even England as the leather dashboard can crack around the passenger side airbag.