PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I need a brake switch.

CaptAwsm
8th November 2014, 01:14 AM
Started off random, now it's punctual. Driving home at night and the door actuators lock/unlock, hazards are going happily and once pulled up at home it will read "Park Brake Fault".

Funny bit was, leave for a minute or two, cycle the ignition and it runs without a worry in the world.

Replaced the battery on Monday, hope I didn't stuff anything there.

Ben.

Epic pooh
8th November 2014, 05:18 AM
My vehicle has over it's life consistently given the messages "Special Programs not Available" for low battery and "Transmission Fault limited traction" for the brake light switch. Your issue does not sound like brake light switch, although you never do know. I had the park brake fault message once ages ago (but none of the other symptoms you describe), not sure of the exact cause but it was at a time when I was doing significant suspension work and it did not reoccur (assumed to be height/steering angle sensor calibration).

CaptAwsm
8th November 2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah that was happening with the low battery voltage, "Special Programs Off". But new battery fixed it.

PS, love your username. Epic pooh, gives me a laugh.

Epic pooh
8th November 2014, 10:36 AM
Do you have a code reader of some sort ? Be interesting to see if the vehicle has a logged fault - no faults would point to a silly electrical issue.

CaptAwsm
8th November 2014, 04:45 PM
So... upon leaving the 4wd show, the fault reappeared. Embarrassing leaving with the hazards going.

But anyways, it made the "boop" noise generally made when there's low voltage and I checked the voltage that's registered on my two way. Was charging at between 12.8-13.1V. Am I right to assume this is a problem?

Half way home the hazard flashing stopped and it all went back to normal.

Epic pooh
9th November 2014, 07:45 AM
Sounds low to me, I think mine sitting would be mid-13s at least. How measured ? There are a few folk around who will be able to give good failing alternator advice but I've not had issues with mine so don't know the symptoms.

On reddit a while back there was a thread something like "from your user name how do you die" ... "Straining" was my answer.

CaptAwsm
9th November 2014, 07:56 AM
"Straining", lol. Funny man.

So anyway, turns out the description for the hazards flashing is "crash mode". That's what my cars doing. It will still run, just the courtesy lights inside are on and the hazards outside are flashing.

Looks like a bit of searching now for:
A) loose connectors, iffy wiring
B) consistency in voltage drop resulting in crash mode activation.

I hate electrics.

Ben.