PDA

View Full Version : TDV6 Engine System Faults - Towing

101RRS
10th November 2014, 11:49 AM
There has been lots of discussion on here about getting engine system faults with the 2.7 TDV6 when towing, particularly if on cruise control.

I tow a max of 1.4t and occasionally get an engine system fault. On the last two trips I have done, I have had complete engine shutdown, limp mode and no noticeable power loss but the i display comes up on the message center with no orange or red engine management light - always clears on restart and on the right piece of road I can do the restart while still driving along.

I never get these faults in normal driving only with the camper or trailer in tow. Also it never happens when towing just driving along "normally" that is no high power settings just enough to cruise along. As some have found it happens when Cruise Control is on and I have found that but I have also found that hi power, high load conditions also cause the problem - like overtaking when going up hill or trying to catch up to people so giving it a bi of curry. While some people think it is Cruise Control that cause the condition I think it is more to do with hi power, high load which cruise control can create.

I always though the condition was caused by a mismatch between what manifold air pressure the ECU expects and what it is actually getting on some high load conditions (maybe the designers need to have a different engine map when it detects a trailer is connected). However reading the discussion on Chips and EGTs, I wondered when towing at high power high load it was the EGTs that were tripping the engine.

With that in mind I put the Faultmate on the system to read the codes - while there are various other system communication errors there were no Engine Management Fault codes recorded - this is despite one engine shutdown, one limp mode and two i messages since the last time I read and cleared the codes.

So why would the engine suffer a few major issues (shutdown but no EML) and not record codes.

Thanks

Garry