PDA

View Full Version : Landrover to landcruiser

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 09:33 AM
As of lately I have converted over to the dark side "Toyota landcruiser" going from the 200tdi 110 - 300tdi 110 - 2010 110 - 2013 130 I have now settled on a duel cab GXL had it for 2 months now done 12,000km in it and absolutely love the thing :D doing big km's helping farmers out across nsw and Qld getting rid of feral pigs it is doing the task effortlessly...
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/449.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/263F3DAC-5826-434B-AC8D-A8C69551EA70.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/311.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/67477B7A-6B9E-49FD-8F7F-45E54BF80677.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/291.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C6990D93-A649-4440-B6A1-395FA265F7ED.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/450.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0A1316E7-58D5-4401-BEF0-288575C00363.jpg.html)

Custom made tray and dog crate to suit my needs made by myself
Full amada extreme lift kit
Factory lockers :)
5 post bullbar
Twin 3" scrub bars/side steps
Roof console
Icom UHF
HID spotties
Canvas seat covers
Snorkel
105km/h 4 people 250kg of dogs,2 fridges,2batteries,camping gear,4 swags on roof averaged 14.6l/100 on a recent 6400km trip
Best is 12.6/100km

Part way threw making a stainless exhaust
Egr blank
And oneday a tune

justinc
16th November 2014, 09:47 AM
'GTurbo' Google it. :-)

Jc

Vern
16th November 2014, 10:04 AM
That bar work is serious, sure its not for a kenworth?:D

stealth
16th November 2014, 10:07 AM
That's what I thought. Does it tip up on its nose when the dogs jump out?..

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 10:24 AM
Yeah Grahame has been designing some serious turbos lately for the toyotas once warranty runs out a new clutch,crossover pipe and Gturbo will be on the cards

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 10:27 AM
Haha yeah it is a pretty serious bar not too many ferals ya have to slow down for that's for sure

Roverlord off road spares
16th November 2014, 10:47 AM
Serious metal work there.:o
That Bar looks like it belongs on one of those NT Buffalo knock down vehicles. Is it road legal?.
Cheers, Mario

4x4 MORE
16th November 2014, 11:04 AM
Awesome rigs those V8 Land Cruisers's huge amounts of torque!

Pretty hefty bar work;)..how many kays you do a week?

101RRS
16th November 2014, 11:07 AM
Awesome rigs those V8 Land Cruisers's huge amounts of torque!

You need to do some more research - for their engine size they are actually quite poor. The Landie 2.7 TDV6 actually has more torque - not much in it but it has more - 4.5 litres compared to 2.7 litres.

Mick_Marsh
16th November 2014, 11:23 AM
Is it road legal?.
i would doubt it depending, of course, what year the Landcruiser was manufactured.
I doubt it conforms to the ADRs and, from how I read the standard, it does not conform to that.

rovercare
16th November 2014, 12:28 PM
You need to do some more research - for their engine size they are actually quite poor. The Landie 2.7 TDV6 actually has more torque - not much in it but it has more - 4.5 litres compared to 2.7 litres.

i would doubt it depending, of course, what year the Landcruiser was manufactured.
I doubt it conforms to the ADRs and, from how I read the standard, it does not conform to that.

Awseome input:rolleyes::no2:

rovercare
16th November 2014, 12:36 PM
You're not the only one to buy one, although I'm sending most of the superior stuff back, I've got recambered standard springs, no additional leafs, and the lightest coils Lovell's make, with Koni shocks, superior superflex front arms

Although I need to take to it with angle grinder as tyres foul inner gaurds, also gotta cut up front bar/grill to suit highmount

Unichip with 3.5" exhaust will do for now, nearly sank mine the other day, lucky I keep them stupid free wheeling hubs locked all the time, dropped into a big hole in a river in 2wd over bonnet height, quick snatch to 4 and made it out luckily.....no matter how much bush work you do, can still make dumb ass mistakes:D

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/440.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/441.jpg

Mick_Marsh
16th November 2014, 01:15 PM
Awseome input:rolleyes::no2:
So, are you of the opinion it does conform to the ADRs? Are you of the opinion it does conform to the standard?

If you are, I would really like to know where I have got it wrong.

scarry
16th November 2014, 01:53 PM
Awesome vehicle,for remote area travel,in my opinion,nothing beats them.

Now off to hide behind a rock:o

Can't wait for the day when i have more time for chasing ferals.....:)

rovercare
16th November 2014, 02:16 PM
So, are you of the opinion it does conform to the ADRs? Are you of the opinion it does conform to the standard?

If you are, I would really like to know where I have got it wrong.

I'm of the opinion that its a pointless post :)

rovercare
16th November 2014, 02:18 PM

They are a big compromise! My brother had the theory right

1980's vehicle for 2018 prices:D

But, about the closest thing you will get to a dual cab that will head bush well aside from a 130" and the cabs on these are comfortable, 130"s are not, for myself atlest

I was looking at Iveco's for a while, just a bit on the high side for what I do

stealth
16th November 2014, 02:44 PM

Wouldn't Brisbane be full of ferals this week. They should be hanging off wire fences all around the G20 conference.

nat_89
16th November 2014, 04:40 PM

Whilst that might be the way on paper, we have the same issue at work we had the V8 cruiser utes and then went to the ford rangers which have 20nm more than the cruisers but its hard to explain the cruisers appear to have more torque really low down grunt when it comes to pull massive shovel cables and so forth.

Dougal
16th November 2014, 05:08 PM
Whilst that might be the way on paper, we have the same issue at work we had the V8 cruiser utes and then went to the ford rangers which have 20nm more than the cruisers but its hard to explain the cruisers appear to have more torque really low down grunt when it comes to pull massive shovel cables and so forth.
That'll be off idle torque rather than peak torque.
Off idle torque is basically engine displacement unless you've got a really active small turbo and aggressive antistall.

lr110qld
16th November 2014, 05:09 PM
As far as I can tell, from some experience, the Toyota V8 diesel in the 70 series cruisers is tuned very conservatively and it only takes $$$$ to stir them up, and realise their true potential.

I also understand the Ford 2.7 TDV6 can also be tuned, but as with all tuning of similar technology diesels, you reach a point when displacement takes some beating.

justinc
16th November 2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah Grahame has been designing some serious turbos lately for the toyotas once warranty runs out a new clutch,crossover pipe and Gturbo will be on the cards

Yup, clever fellow and a whizz with the LC100/78/79 1HD-FTE, too!!

JC

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 05:38 PM
As far as I was informed by the mob who made the bar it was ADR approved as they used the basic structure of a commonly purchased bar for a 2014 Toyota and added to it...power wise I'm not over the moon however it doesn't take much pushing until they get high figures out of them at reasonably low boost pressures and keeping reliability reasonable...all in all for what I do it is a much better choice then the 130 believe it or not I find it better on rough roads at high speeds than the 130 which as we all know is coil...the inside is much more spacious and allows me to complete 16-20hr stints behind the wheel without getting sore or fatigued...I find its a bit doey sometimes however the computer system is much more superior to the 2.4 puma and miles ahead of the 2.2 throttle response is million times better the any landrover tdci and can still be improved on again from what I'm hearing from the die hard Tojo drivers (doesn't bother me as I find it great compared to what I've come from)

Nice ute rovercare :) I'm tossing up between the unichip or the diesel smart module dunno yet...u happy with your performance over stock ?

Yep ******** are hopeless to deal with and are down right useless!!

As I don't use this ute to commute to my main employment the k's on this ute varys a considerable amount across the seasons...a commute to and from work is 180km round trip on shift work...the ute usually does around 700-1500k's a week while things are going well but when times are slow it might not be driven for 2-3weeks...

460cixy
16th November 2014, 05:45 PM
But with out all the hand wringing about power and torque will it carry a load as well as a 130?

rovercare
16th November 2014, 05:48 PM
Nice ute rovercare :) I'm tossing up between the unichip or the diesel smart module dunno yet...u happy with your performance over stock ?

I'll tell you when its done, finding a good tuner is the hard part!

It wont be no Duramax:(

Yea, you can make these things very comfortable, everyone reckons the leafs in the back kill them, but its far from true.....and I'm pretty damn fussy!

rovercare
16th November 2014, 05:53 PM
But with out all the hand wringing about power and torque will it carry a load as well as a 130?

Just as with the 130", suspension setup is the main criteria here

It carries the passengers in more comfort:D

Vern
16th November 2014, 06:00 PM
Spent a month solid in one of these things, the guy spent $30k on it after purchase, so had a lot done to it! I found it horrible, suspension to stiff, uncomfortable and no leg room for me (6'5"), not that powerful (had exhaust, chip etc..), about half way down the canning, I jumped into a mates basically stock 100 series, was like jumping into a limo, comfy and powerful.

But I would probably buy one over a 130, and do as matt is doing, set it up like a landy😊

rovercare
16th November 2014, 06:17 PM
Spent a month solid in one of these things, the guy spent $30k on it after purchase, so had a lot done to it! I found it horrible, suspension to stiff, uncomfortable and no leg room for me (6'5"), not that powerful (had exhaust, chip etc..), about half way down the canning, I jumped into a mates basically stock 100 series, was like jumping into a limo, comfy and powerful.

But I would probably buy one over a 130, and do as matt is doing, set it up like a landy��

Typical jap aftermarket, sprung to stiff, they had it close to right from standard, I've recambered standard leafs and will stretch factory coils with koni's to replace progressive rate lovells as they kickback on diagonal hits when driving at pace...then get front coils wound after I'm happy with rates and free lengths

GQ I have runs factory coils and 2" blocks and the ride is good, the japs weren't to far of the mark on spring rates, aftermarket ruins it

1HD-FTE still a better engine. most chips are ****....Unichip should be good for over 50% HP and torque which should make 1VD a good drive, but lackluster stock for sure

Vern
16th November 2014, 06:22 PM
Iirc this thing hag 800kg leaves in it (must be how arb rate there leaves), steinbaurer chip. It was thirsty as, best we got was mid 16, worst was 23, that was on the way to coober pedy.
Would love to compare yours to his, yours will **** all over it I feel.

460cixy
16th November 2014, 06:52 PM
Just as with the 130", suspension setup is the main criteria here

It carries the passengers in more comfort:D

Looking where the rear axel is in relation to the tray there would be a lot of weight behind the axel wouldn't think it would carry a load as well as a 130 as for passenger comfort no surprise there.

Tombie
16th November 2014, 07:04 PM
Enjoy your new vehicle Chief..

Either way, you're out there doing your thing..

Couple of mates here have them.
They enjoy them, I've travelled with them and they go just fine. Both decked out similar to yours...

May it carry you where you wish to travel and home again safely.

rovercare
16th November 2014, 07:10 PM
Iirc this thing hag 800kg leaves in it (must be how arb rate there leaves), steinbaurer chip. It was thirsty as, best we got was mid 16, worst was 23, that was on the way to coober pedy.
Would love to compare yours to his, yours will **** all over it I feel.

Old boys has 400kg Ome rears, rides well, but suspension has done near 200k

See how fuel goes, I've gotta work out exact error with 35's but guess is a smidge under 15 driving as I do. Common rail economy seems to suffer under large load. Shame not to be able to get dual cab with 1hd-fte

I have unsprung weight issue, nitto tyres and beadlock rims are heavy, sidewalls are thick as, running them at 25psi has removed bad feedback from steering wheels, compromise to hopefully resist punctures as I tore 2 sidewalls out of crappy km2 muds

It's not a bad ride at all, just tweaking to go on front springs and shock settings

101RRS
16th November 2014, 07:20 PM
As far as I was informed by the mob who made the bar it was ADR approved as they used the basic structure of a commonly purchased bar for a 2014 Toyota and added to it...power wise

So it will have a certification/compliance sticker/plate from the manufacturer (not Toyota) stating that it is compliant and approved for the vehicle it is fitted to.

rovercare
16th November 2014, 07:23 PM
Looking where the rear axel is in relation to the tray there would be a lot of weight behind the axel wouldn't think it would carry a load as well as a 130 as for passenger comfort no surprise there.

Leaf springs are advantageous in they spread the load over 2 points somewhat

The only complaint I have is the turning arc, it's to big it can't be called a turning circle, but a 130 is not much better

rovercare
16th November 2014, 07:25 PM
So it will have a certification/compliance sticker/plate from the manufacturer (not Toyota) stating that it is compliant and approved for the vehicle it is fitted to.

Really? You need to insist with omnipotent attitude in regards to legalities? He is traveling qld hunting pigs, not running over school children

101RRS
16th November 2014, 07:58 PM
He said it complies so will have the compliance information.

Landy Smurf
16th November 2014, 08:06 PM
Looks like a good setup Matt :thumbsup:

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Haha yeah no duramax thats true...as for carrying loads I feel that the Toyota feels more stable when cornering then the 130 did I'm running 400kg springs and they r a tad harsh without a load compared to stock which were almost spot on...comparing the pair on ploughed paddocks going 90* to the courrugations the Toyota also wins hands down dunno if the landrover shock rates did not match spring rates however leaf sprung utes seem to be smoother across such surfaces...I'm quite happy with fuel economy on my vdj...the 2.2 130 without a load was better on fuel but as soon as I loaded it up with quads and tried (sometimes struggled) to sit on 100 the fuel would go upto around 17.5/100 whereas I havnt hit those figures with the Toyota yet even if I did I can sit on 100 so I'm half happy...our other ute is a 1hdfte I quite like it pretty smooth a lugs harder than the vdj by a little and I feel that any straight 6 turbo diesel sounds better then a v8 :angel: the 1hd has a few little issues now it's getting a few k's but what doesn't really...the vdj isn't as bad as a lot made them out to be bit of a rocky start with oil,alternator and dusting issues however ya don't hear of too many letting fly like the classic 3.0l patrol :D

Vern
16th November 2014, 08:40 PM
Old boys has 400kg Ome rears, rides well, but suspension has done near 200k

See how fuel goes, I've gotta work out exact error with 35's but guess is a smidge under 15 driving as I do. Common rail economy seems to suffer under large load. Shame not to be able to get dual cab with 1hd-fte

I have unsprung weight issue, nitto tyres and beadlock rims are heavy, sidewalls are thick as, running them at 25psi has removed bad feedback from steering wheels, compromise to hopefully resist punctures as I tore 2 sidewalls out of crappy km2 muds

It's not a bad ride at all, just tweaking to go on front springs and shock settings I feel the revs need to be about 300 lower in top gear. The one I was in had 33's, felt like it needed at least 35's (like you have done)' or new transcase gears, like the ones marks do

4x4 MORE
16th November 2014, 08:44 PM

But I would probably buy one over a 130, and do as matt is doing, set it up like a landy😊

Interesting report..

I see where you are coming from..but remember a 100 series is a comfortable family 4wd..made to be as comfortable and easy to drive as possible

A 76 series is really just a working vehicle with extra stuff thrown in it, so a comfortable ride/cabin and ease of driving is not that high a priority...

I may be wrong:confused:

To me it's like comparing a Discovery 4 with a Td5 Defender..

Vern
16th November 2014, 08:50 PM
Agree, but why be uncomfortable? I would find a 110 more comfortable though, but it was mainly the way this thing is set up, set up like a Toyota from arb, stiffest suspension you can find:(

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:18 PM
I feel the revs need to be about 300 lower in top gear. The one I was in had 33's, felt like it needed at least 35's (like you have done)' or new transcase gears, like the ones marks do

Drives 35's without a second thought, better than little tyres, although I only drove home on them and changed it all over

No point being uncomfortable, the stuff I got from superior originally I let the tyres down to 16psi on road, the shocks were king copies and adjustable on their lowest setting I struggled to compress by hand, out of this world hard!

Rides near as comfy as my rangie, just fix the spring back on diagonal hits....part front sway bar, but mostly progressive rate front springs I reckon...280-410pd. 280 rate stuff really good, but firms up to much

They are 3.9 diffs (hopefully front is stronger again) where as 1hd is 4.1 and 1hz is hideously weak 4.3

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Haha yeah no duramax thats true...as for carrying loads I feel that the Toyota feels more stable when cornering then the 130 did I'm running 400kg springs and they r a tad harsh without a load compared to stock which were almost spot on...comparing the pair on ploughed paddocks going 90* to the courrugations the Toyota also wins hands down dunno if the landrover shock rates did not match spring rates however leaf sprung utes seem to be smoother across such surfaces...I'm quite happy with fuel economy on my vdj...the 2.2 130 without a load was better on fuel but as soon as I loaded it up with quads and tried (sometimes struggled) to sit on 100 the fuel would go upto around 17.5/100 whereas I havnt hit those figures with the Toyota yet even if I did I can sit on 100 so I'm half happy...our other ute is a 1hdfte I quite like it pretty smooth a lugs harder than the vdj by a little and I feel that any straight 6 turbo diesel sounds better then a v8 :angel: the 1hd has a few little issues now it's getting a few k's but what doesn't really...the vdj isn't as bad as a lot made them out to be bit of a rocky start with oil,alternator and dusting issues however ya don't hear of too many letting fly like the classic 3.0l patrol :D

What issues on 1hd and how many kays? I think they are pretty much bulletproof, only issue I've ever heard of is failing to run due to bad earth on fuel pump driver, generally after dual battery install. Nothing else at all!

Vern
16th November 2014, 09:32 PM
What shocks from superior? Amanda? I just put lifted 100series raid 90's on my rangie, feel pretty good. By the sounds of it, I'm glad superior never got back to me:)

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:32 PM
He said it complies so will have the compliance information.

You are awesome Garry, great contribution to this thread:)

101RRS
16th November 2014, 09:37 PM
You are awesome Garry:)

I know :cool:.

PAT303
16th November 2014, 09:46 PM
Drives 35's without a second thought, better than little tyres, although I only drove home on them and changed it all over

No point being uncomfortable, the stuff I got from superior originally I let the tyres down to 16psi on road, the shocks were king copies and adjustable on their lowest setting I struggled to compress by hand, out of this world hard!

Rides near as comfy as my rangie, just fix the spring back on diagonal hits....part front sway bar, but mostly progressive rate front springs I reckon...280-410pd. 280 rate stuff really good, but firms up to much

They are 3.9 diffs (hopefully front is stronger again) where as 1hd is 4.1 and 1hz is hideously weak 4.3

Have you driven yours with a load and 35's?,both my tray backs needed the clutch slipped when loaded with 7.50x16's,the 76 did when I had it full of people,I only used mine in the pit so was on uneven ground,even on tar running 35's your clutch may suffer. Pat Pat

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:49 PM
Have you driven yours with a load and 35's?,both my tray backs needed the clutch slipped when loaded with 7.50x16's,the 76 did when I had it full of people,I only used mine in the pit so was on uneven ground,even on tar running 35's your clutch may suffer. Pat Pat

I foresee me having to replace the clutch after unichip regardless

I'll be towing 3+ ton in around the bush on a project we are doing for the depi in December, so I'll let you know how it fares then

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 09:51 PM
What issues on 1hd and how many kays? I think they are pretty much bulletproof, only issue I've ever heard of is failing to run due to bad earth on fuel pump driver, generally after dual battery install. Nothing else at all!

Well it's not really that old its got 230k blows a bit if smoke lately dunno why so a full service is coming up for it...few minor oil leaks from inlet manifold hope turbo seals r ok :( and a common rattle a lot seem to get at 1200rpm apart from that its fine and lumps along nicely...I wish they had got the 1hdfte stripped the fuel system off and threw a common rail system on it and replaced the turbo for a large vnt and hopefully that met the modern emission laws and threw that into our dual cabs with maybe a 6speed...lots of people ask if I miss the 6 speed out of the landy "well yes I do" however I don't mind the trading a gear in for having a stronger gearbox even if it only has 5 cogs

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:53 PM
Having said that, my oldboys 1hd fte I did the Simpson east to west with kimberely camper 285's and dp chip, has not had clutch issues as yet, although it will slip with poor use of clutch peddle and big throttle applications

rovercare
16th November 2014, 09:57 PM
What shocks from superior? Amanda? I just put lifted 100series raid 90's on my rangie, feel pretty good. By the sounds of it, I'm glad superior never got back to me:)

Profender adjustable

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 10:06 PM
Having said that, my oldboys 1hd fte I did the Simpson east to west with kimberely camper 285's and dp chip, has not had clutch issues as yet, although it will slip with poor use of clutch peddle and big throttle applications

Yeah clutch shudder is starting in mine but still holds on no chip though...

The vdj clutches ain't much chop as u may already know

c.h.i.e.f
16th November 2014, 10:39 PM
The main crew that spends most the time testing the ride comfort

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/419.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9FF24366-F021-4E97-86B2-2E8286F7A425.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/420.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0861647A-1992-4F9A-B8DF-2B599A038B03.jpg.html)

Unsuspecting to most but my main dog red and tan pure kelpie from Qld cattle working lines...efficient ground finder,quad finder and starting to do half decent ute finds both on wind scent and ground scent,bailer/holder only with another holder 19.8kg working weight

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/421.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/242A5FDE-190B-42E3-B3B0-C37E7CC5CEAE.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/422.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/344B17B5-350C-4106-A3FB-60D92DD41BCA.jpg.html)

Main holder not real smart nor is he fast but usually gets the job done...mastiff x bulldog x bits and pieces 40kg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/423.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A283B068-0693-4123-AD82-1752D7EDE984.jpg.html)

Old half retired wolfhound x mastiff finder/holder good for teaching young dogs 54kg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/424.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2D5C1C04-3463-445A-AE72-554807E43C13.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/425.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/549B3FBB-34E6-4EE8-B2B4-036C1C3A4934.jpg.html)

Young pitty x kelpie bitch holder approx 25kg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/426.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/28057604-BD36-45F7-A124-0E8A3178CAB1.jpg.html)

isuzurover
16th November 2014, 11:06 PM
Nice work guys. I have done about 30k km in the wagon version - hire cars.
I was surprised how well they handle on dirt roads.
If they were sensibly priced I would probably buy one. The only crappy thing is they used the wagon rear door on the dc ute, so you have a stupid looking door and wasted space.

4x4 MORE
16th November 2014, 11:23 PM
Agree, but why be uncomfortable? I would find a 110 more comfortable though, but it was mainly the way this thing is set up, set up like a Toyota from arb, stiffest suspension you can find:(

I understand:)

Dougal
17th November 2014, 06:46 AM
Well it's not really that old its got 230k blows a bit if smoke lately dunno why so a full service is coming up for it...few minor oil leaks from inlet manifold hope turbo seals r ok :( and a common rattle a lot seem to get at 1200rpm apart from that its fine and lumps along nicely...I wish they had got the 1hdfte stripped the fuel system off and threw a common rail system on it and replaced the turbo for a large vnt and hopefully that met the modern emission laws and threw that into our dual cabs with maybe a 6speed...lots of people ask if I miss the 6 speed out of the landy "well yes I do" however I don't mind the trading a gear in for having a stronger gearbox even if it only has 5 cogs

They did exactly that in Europe. Commonrail 1HD-FTE with VNT turbo and named it the 292F. But it's extremely difficult to find info on them.

Robmacca
17th November 2014, 07:50 AM
WOW.... this has been an very interesting read.... I originally was thinking about the last of the 100's Factory TD (1hd-fte) wgns as our next tourer as it seemed it would meet all our future needs of remote outback touring and touring or van when we choose + have the comfort for all on board.... That was until I came across a new 110 Puma Defender. I thought this might meet our needs + have the benefit of better fuel economy & cheaper rego, but would lack when it came to towing.... I plan on going to drive a couple of Defenders to see whether or not I would think they would suit us.....

Then coming across this post and reading the post and seeing avid LR owners who have or are now driving Tojo's and saying how good they are...... nice to read some unbiased views on this site....

I still want to take some Defenders for a test drive, but I'm starting to think my original idea may suit my family the best at this point in time (best of both worlds)

rovercare
17th November 2014, 09:52 AM
WOW.... this has been an very interesting read.... I originally was thinking about the last of the 100's Factory TD (1hd-fte) wgns as our next tourer as it seemed it would meet all our future needs of remote outback touring and touring or van when we choose + have the comfort for all on board.... That was until I came across a new 110 Puma Defender. I thought this might meet our needs + have the benefit of better fuel economy & cheaper rego, but would lack when it came to towing.... I plan on going to drive a couple of Defenders to see whether or not I would think they would suit us.....

Then coming across this post and reading the post and seeing avid LR owners who have or are now driving Tojo's and saying how good they are...... nice to read some unbiased views on this site....

I still want to take some Defenders for a test drive, but I'm starting to think my original idea may suit my family the best at this point in time (best of both worlds)

Drive them for a long periods with your kids....dual cab landcruisers are not for tall occupants in the back either, the factory turbo 100 is a very good vehicle

Defender cabs are loved or hated, I hated mine, make sure you spend enough time in one to get the idea, very important

rovercare
17th November 2014, 09:55 AM
Nice work guys. I have done about 30k km in the wagon version - hire cars.
I was surprised how well they handle on dirt roads.
If they were sensibly priced I would probably buy one. The only crappy thing is they used the wagon rear door on the dc ute, so you have a stupid looking door and wasted space.

They are a lot of bucks for very little really, lucky mines a work ute, so GST back, depreciation and all accessories a deduction helps:)

PAT303
17th November 2014, 11:11 AM
Drive them for a long periods with your kids....dual cab landcruisers are not for tall occupants in the back either, the factory turbo 100 is a very good vehicle

Defender cabs are loved or hated, I hated mine, make sure you spend enough time in one to get the idea, very important

If we are all honest both are crap,a good mate just had his motor replaced in his Amarok,another story,and I've spent a bit of time in it and ergo wise that things brilliant,both the ''new'' LC and LR's aren't in the race. Pat

PAT303
17th November 2014, 11:13 AM
They are a lot of bucks for very little really, lucky mines a work ute, so GST back, depreciation and all accessories a deduction helps:)

Thats the trouble,by the time you get them to the point of being able to live with them they cost more than a 200 or D4. Pat

PAT303
17th November 2014, 11:17 AM

They both have the same problems,both '70's designs tarted up to todays world,you just pay a huge amount more to be just as uncomfortable in the LC :D. Pat

rovercare
17th November 2014, 12:18 PM
If we are all honest both are crap,a good mate just had his motor replaced in his Amarok,another story,and I've spent a bit of time in it and ergo wise that things brilliant,both the ''new'' LC and LR's aren't in the race. Pat

You may not of noted where I made points about compromise and price;)

Yea, all great till you go proper off road, then they suck balls, otherwise I'd buy one!

rovercare
17th November 2014, 12:22 PM
Thats the trouble,by the time you get them to the point of being able to live with them they cost more than a 200 or D4. Pat

Like I said, mine is riding as pretty much as good as most all of my rangies, so that's easy, GXL seats are surprisingly comfy, standard seats suck

But yes, they are overpriced, no doubt about it and its a shame that they wont hold value like a 1HD-FTE tray will otherwise the price would be of little concern......mine wont be in a great condition for resale anyway:D

Oh yea, I would actually prefer a wagon, but I'd still then need to keep a ute and a commercial vehicle, makes for a far better work vehicle, than a wagon;)

17th November 2014, 12:26 PM
Yes it would have to have a sticker, weren't 5 poster bars banned?

17th November 2014, 12:34 PM
Really? You need to insist with omnipotent attitude in regards to legalities? He is traveling qld hunting pigs, not running over school children

I think the point Rovercare is making is, if off road 100% of the time then there wouldn't be an issue, but as soon as it hits a public road it would need to comply, as this is where cops will enforce things.
In reality, it must come into town to refuel or get goods, travel between areas etc etc, so it is not off road so must comply with regs

Mick_Marsh
17th November 2014, 12:45 PM
Yes it would have to have a sticker, weren't 5 poster bars banned?
Have a read of this thread:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/203778-bull-bar-blitz-rural-drivers-fined-2.html#post2226871

There is no way the bar in question complies to the current standard. The question then becomes "Was the vehicle built before 2002 or after 2002?"

I think the point Rovercare is making is, if off road 100% of the time then there wouldn't be an issue, but as soon as it hits a public road it would need to comply, as this is where cops will enforce things.
In reality, it must come into town to refuel or get goods, travel between areas etc etc, so it is not off road so must comply with regs
It needs to comply to be registered. If it is unregistered then not a problem.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/291.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/user/chief321/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C6990D93-A649-4440-B6A1-395FA265F7ED.jpg.html)
Looks registered to me.

4x4 MORE
17th November 2014, 01:02 PM

Indeed.. 200 Series LC's or the GU patrol's Y61,..are designed as comfortable recreational 4wds made for the family and 4wding with car comfort and refinement;)

A 76 Series Land Cruiser and indeed Land Rover Defender's[ all body styles]

Are designed as working vehicles with the ability to carry people..

They are from the old school of 4wd Design when 4wds were workhorses for the farm and Raul bush areas..

You have to remember that 4wds were never designed as Recreational vehicles

Recreational 4wding did't exist!:)

isuzurover
17th November 2014, 01:07 PM

Exactly. The pov pack "mine spec" versions we hire don't even have central locking. The internal roll bars also eat into the cabin room and make it almost impossible to open the rear doors...

The minions working for me on the project have a hard time believing me when I tell them how much they cost and that they are almost new. However if you point out a new defender they also think they look "old"...

101RRS
17th November 2014, 01:12 PM
There is no way the bar in question complies to the current standard. The question then becomes "Was the vehicle built before 2002 or after 2002?"

The dual cabs were only released in Aust in the last couple of years so is well and truly after 2002.

rovercare
17th November 2014, 01:23 PM

The point I'm making, is its pointless in degrading a thread with legality issues...better to be out doing a bit with life in your "illegal" vehicle, than eating cookies getting fat:)

I mean why try to nit pick a dudes vehicle?

and assumptions about 100% offroad is impossible and it must come into town? well derr:D

Are we the traffic management association here or what?

rovercare
17th November 2014, 01:25 PM
The dual cabs were only released in Aust in the last couple of years so is well and truly after 2002.

Senior Detective Gazza:nazilock::D

rovercare
17th November 2014, 01:31 PM
Exactly. The pov pack "mine spec" versions we hire don't even have central locking. The internal roll bars also eat into the cabin room and make it almost impossible to open the rear doors...

The minions working for me on the project have a hard time believing me when I tell them how much they cost and that they are almost new. However if you point out a new defender they also think they look "old"...

The ones here in PNG have external roll cages, I have been thinking about putting one on, really got hack up the panels though.....the also come factory fitted with 1HZ's still:eek:

101RRS
17th November 2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Detective Gazza:nazilock::D
No need to be facetious. If you disagree with what I have said then fine - make your point on the topic and leave it at that.

c.h.i.e.f
17th November 2014, 02:27 PM
Dougal that is very interesting it would be an impressive motor to put in a vehicle :)

As for the bar and legalities well the police started targeting them as they for some reason got a bee in there bonnet for some unknown reason 1.if you were to get hit by a 3t vehicle the last thing I would care about is what bar it has because ya simply don't wanna get hit by a car to start with 2.the police started a big hype about a few things to do with 4wd's one being the bars and second being roof mounted spotlights in particular here in the hunter valley nsw where the police took it on themselves to manipulate and miss interpret the law to suit themselves...on further investigation the officers were working outside the regulations and faulsely prosecuting the public...

As for the Toyota yep it is really over priced for what ya get hence y I made a lot of the gear to save me a fortune however I don't find 2400rpm at 105km/h with tiny wheels to be all that bad and find the gear ratios much better spaced then the pumas I had...as mentioned before the computer has a better throttle response and suits low speed idling over rough ground better then the 2.2 puma as I spend hours at a time idling along at 10-20km/h on properties...

The gxl seats do not look flash but are reasonably comfy...being aligned with the steering wheel is fantastic and not having the hand brake agonist your leg is good on the big trips...
A seat that goes past 89* is nice also.

c.h.i.e.f
17th November 2014, 02:32 PM
If the 130 was to get a sals rear diff back,fix there drive shaft vibration issues,lower the rear seats so that they can recline back a little and put a 3.2 ranger motor in them I'd look at the defender again

isuzurover
17th November 2014, 03:01 PM

As for the bar and legalities well the police started targeting them as they for some reason got a bee in there bonnet for some unknown reason 1.if you were to get hit by a 3t vehicle the last thing I would care about is what bar it has because ya simply don't wanna get hit by a car to start with 2.the police started a big hype about a few things to do with 4wd's one being the bars and second being roof mounted spotlights in particular here in the hunter valley nsw where the police took it on themselves to manipulate and miss interpret the law to suit themselves...on further investigation the officers were working outside the regulations and faulsely prosecuting the public...

If you are talking about bullbars in the bolded bit, I think a more correct response is that the police/transport interpretation of the ADRs and the manufacturer interpretation of the ADRs differed. It seems NSW has allowed a 2yr grace period for people to get their bullbars checked for compliance (see below). The PDF below gives pretty clear rules on what does and doesn't comply.

NSW Centre for Road Safety > Staying safe > Vehicle safety > Bull bars
Make sure your bull bar is legal

Some bull bars being used in NSW do not comply with laws introduced in 2003. Our Bull bar tolerances and conditions document (PDF, 708Kb) [Listen to this document] provides clear advice about the types of bull bars that are allowed on NSW roads. Dangerous bull bars pose a greater risk to pedestrians and other road users.
Two year exemption

There will be a two-year exemption period to allow drivers to have their bull bar checked and if necessary, modified or replaced. This will allow dangerous bull bars to be taken off NSW roads, without punishing people who have unknowingly bought non-compliant bars.
Clearer guidelines

We are working to provide better guidance to the public and manufacturers about the types of bull bars that are allowed in NSW. We are also working with the police and other enforcement officers to provide clear advice on bull bar regulations.
More information

Detailed information on bull bar compliance is available in AS 4876.1-2002 Motor vehicle frontal protection systems Part 1: Road user protection, available on the Standards Australia website.

Standards Australia is the nation's main non-government standards organisation. It is charged by the Commonwealth Government to meet Australia's need for contemporary, internationally aligned standards and related services
Bull bars < Vehicle safety < Staying safe < NSW Centre for Road Safety (http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/vehiclesafety/bull-bars.html)
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/bull-bar-tolerances.pdf

4x4 MORE
17th November 2014, 03:07 PM

The 70 Series is a family of Toyota Land Cruiser models produced from 1984 until the present day. It replaced the 25-year-old 40 Series as the off-road workhorse of the Land Cruiser heritage, while the 60 Series (and later the 80, 90, 100 and 200 Series) developed into more comfortable passenger off-road vehicles.

Steve223
17th November 2014, 03:19 PM

there was a threat somewhere that the 4 post bullbars will become illegal can't find it right now but after talking to my engineer about a bullbar design I would comfortably say no engineer would sign of a 4 post forward facing bar. in saying that most modifications on many 4wd are not legal or at least not engineered... everyone's own decision

rovercare
17th November 2014, 03:29 PM
The 70 Series is a family of Toyota Land Cruiser models produced from 1984 until the present day. It replaced the 25-year-old 40 Series as the off-road workhorse of the Land Cruiser heritage, while the 60 Series (and later the 80, 90, 100 and 200 Series) developed into more comfortable passenger off-road vehicles.

I spent years in a BJ42..... That's why I bought a rangie:D

Not sure where the 90 comes from as its a prado, but anyway;)

rovercare
17th November 2014, 03:32 PM
No need to be facetious. If you disagree with what I have said then fine - make your point on the topic and leave it at that.

Because this anal legal stuff turns heaps of threads to the dogs and unfortunately ruins people morals, whom actually go out and do a bit, from sharing stuff on forums like this

Spelling and legalities on forums, its like nerd bullying:(

Dougal
17th November 2014, 04:53 PM

Kids these days eh?

I had a "You mean they're still making those landrovers?" question from someone who should have known better. They assumed that all these more modern looking defenders were just old ones tarted up.:D

4x4 MORE
17th November 2014, 06:00 PM
I spent years in a BJ42..... That's why I bought a rangie:D

Not sure where the 90 comes from as its a prado, but anyway;)

Fair enough...the first Luxury 4wd MADE..

I can see you love comfort and refinement then..especially after an old BJ40:D:D:D

c.h.i.e.f
17th November 2014, 06:08 PM
If you are talking about bullbars in the bolded bit, I think a more correct response is that the police/transport interpretation of the ADRs and the manufacturer interpretation of the ADRs differed. It seems NSW has allowed a 2yr grace period for people to get their bullbars checked for compliance (see below). The PDF below gives pretty clear rules on what does and doesn't comply.

Bull bars < Vehicle safety < Staying safe < NSW Centre for Road Safety (http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/vehiclesafety/bull-bars.html)
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/bull-bar-tolerances.pdf

Nah I was referring to the roof mounted spotlights however since there quest on targeting the spotlights has kinda failed they have started making a big fuss over the bullbars AGAIN :mad:
After being threw 2 ARB bars on roos the next option was this bar which has already been tested on some ferals and held up perfectly...I know which one I feel safer sitting behind when cruising along stretches of road at midnight...uneducated morons in high positions really frustrates me but dunno what will become of it

rovercare
17th November 2014, 06:34 PM
Fair enough...the first Luxury 4wd MADE..

I can see you love comfort and refinement then..especially after an old BJ40:D:D:D

BJ42 not 40;)

Rangie, 302 Windsor, C4, G60 transfer and 9" rear way back when

4x4 MORE
17th November 2014, 06:49 PM
My bad..

They are sought after today..Especially a BJ42 LX!

bob10
17th November 2014, 07:21 PM
To each his own, this is an interesting comparison. Defender 110/ 76 series cruiser, Bob

Land Rover Defender 110 VS Toyota Land Cruiser 76 Wagon - YouTube

pop058
17th November 2014, 07:29 PM
BJ42 not 40;)

Rangie, 302 Windsor, C4, G60 transfer and 9" rear way back when

My BIL had one many years ago and it was a BJ40 not a 42.

isuzurover
17th November 2014, 07:39 PM
To each his own, this is an interesting comparison. Defender 110/ 76 series cruiser, Bob

Land Rover Defender 110 VS Toyota Land Cruiser 76 Wagon - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vNcs0dcjyB8)

Even with a 4.2 NA they reckon the toyota wins against the puny :D

Sitec
17th November 2014, 08:06 PM
Interesting thread. I like the Land Cruiser, and the sound of those V8's especially when they have a mandrel bent 3" exhaust! As for the Roo Bar and Spotties... Really??? Who gives a crap!! Each person makes their vehicle their own.. There's that much red tape in Europe it makes for a boring place!! One of the reasons I came here!! Some of us have 101's... and if we really wanted to get picky, would they be legal? Aged lap belts, crap lights, lazy brakes, out of date bar grip tyres on some.. modified rims.. battery in the cab space.. no safety in a crash... Need I go on... Do I care? Nope.. Do I have a silly daft diesel in mine! Hell yeah! Does it go faster than perhaps it used to!! Yup! Am I at fault? Probably! Do I care.. No. Do I love it Yup! Its mine! So, here's the crack, contribute to the thread with some positive stuff, and if you can't, then go back to that padded room! :wasntme:

rovercare
17th November 2014, 08:14 PM
My BIL had one many years ago and it was a BJ40 not a 42.

Yep, so he had a 3L B engine short wheel base landcruiser, bj40 as opposed to the later 3.4L 3B engine bj42...

Piddler
17th November 2014, 08:52 PM
I followed a new dual cab cruiser today from a drilling company.
First thing i would do is a reasonable lift, good shocks not overkill. Get rid of those **** farting narrow gutted tyres. Put on some big offset rims with 35" tyres.

The narrow back axle when following a flat tray looks way way too narrow for good stability. Just the site of it with a nice customised tray annoyed me.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

4x4 MORE
17th November 2014, 09:03 PM
Yep, so he had a 3L B engine short wheel base landcruiser, bj40 as opposed to the later 3.4L 3B engine bj42...

Sounds like it aye..:)

Either way they are both sought after today..a bit like a Series 2 or 3 Diesel..

PAT303
17th November 2014, 09:43 PM
Sought after by who?,I spent a week on Fraser Island in a FJ40 and a week in the Vic high country in a BJ40,you can stick both up ya clacker,no wonder all those old farmers walk around hunched over,the damn things broke their backs. Pat

Robmacca
17th November 2014, 09:52 PM

Land Rover Defender 110 VS Toyota Land Cruiser 76 Wagon - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vNcs0dcjyB8)

It was interesting to hear his opinion coming from owning defenders and now Tojo's..... The downhill comparison was a bit of a surprise with the defender.... I didn't realise that was a issue the defenders....

bob10
18th November 2014, 08:09 AM
It was interesting to hear his opinion coming from owning defenders and now Tojo's..... The downhill comparison was a bit of a surprise with the defender.... I didn't realise that was a issue the defenders....

Nor I, do the new defenders have HDC ? I have watched a few of his videos now, they are mostly a fair comparison of vehicle types. Some say he is biased to Toyota, but I think he just tells it as he sees it. What stands out is the base model Toyota is not as good off road as the base model Land Rover, the Toyotas need front & rear diff lockers, to be on par. I think the Defender needs a suspension up grade to be as good on the highway, could be wrong. Bob

rovercare
18th November 2014, 09:10 AM
Sought after by who?,I spent a week on Fraser Island in a FJ40 and a week in the Vic high country in a BJ40,you can stick both up ya clacker,no wonder all those old farmers walk around hunched over,the damn things broke their backs. Pat

Like riding a kangaroo:D, having said that, I would have one riding pretty good these days

carjunkieanon
18th November 2014, 09:38 AM
Would love to see a Cruiser vs Disco comparison - as close to the same price as possible.

Very much looking forward to the new Defender. Imagine if they fixed the 'issues' with the old one but kept the same off road ability.

PAT303
18th November 2014, 12:01 PM
Like riding a kangaroo:D, having said that, I would have one riding pretty good these days

I'd like to meet the bright spark who thought putting the front springs on backwards was a good idea. Pat

PAT303
18th November 2014, 12:09 PM

Defenders don't have problems driving down hills,people making silly video's do. Pat

rovercare
18th November 2014, 12:16 PM
I'd like to meet the bright spark who thought putting the front springs on backwards was a good idea. Pat

You mean to say having the front wheels move forward under suspension compression is a bad idea Pat?:D

c.h.i.e.f
18th November 2014, 01:02 PM
About the most comfy full leaf spring vehicle I've been in is the 60 series sahara done a few decent trips in me mates 12ht one it was like riding in a big lounge plenty of room and smooth...I think the leafs r longer then most in the 60series

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 01:18 PM
Cool as.sheer Luxury!

Those 60 series Sahara's are getting rare now days!;)

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 01:20 PM
You mean to say having the front wheels move forward under suspension compression is a bad idea Pat?:D

:confused::confused:

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 01:54 PM

I meant no offence mate:)

To enthusiast of the early Land Cruiser's they are Sought after..Just like early Series Land Rovers are sought after us guys;)

They are't worth huge bucks in Australia just yet..but in another parts of the world they are..

This is a Petrol FJ40..but still:)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/11/386.jpg

1980 FJ40 with 2K miles fetches $137.5K (http://www.myfj40.com/LCN/Blog/Entries/2014/8/26_1980_FJ40_with_2K_miles_fetches_$137.5K.html)

BMKal
18th November 2014, 02:05 PM

To enthusiast of the early Land Cruiser's they are Sought after..Just like early Series Land Rovers are sought after us guys;)

They are't worth huge bucks in Australia just yet..but in another parts of the world they are..

1980 FJ40 with 2K miles fetches $137.5K (http://www.myfj40.com/LCN/Blog/Entries/2014/8/26_1980_FJ40_with_2K_miles_fetches_$137.5K.html)

I had one very similar to that when I first started working out at The Granites in the 80's (company vehicle). We used to call it the Noddy Wagon - that's what your head used to do non stop when the vehicle was moving.

It went faster in 4th than it did in 5th (mine was 4 cyl diesel engine) - wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :D

Used to use it occasionally for chasing camels across the flat - the camels could easily out-run it. :D

Mine was top heavy - it had a massive steel roofrack on it and a ladder up one side at the rear for access to the roof - so you had to watch it on side slopes or pushing too hard into a corner. But the bloody thing would go anywhere - there wasn't another vehicle on site that could match it when it come to getting through the really rough stuff (or mud). And it was solid - could take a hammering without any problems.

Compared to what it was competing against at the time, it was a good vehicle. I'd happily have another now as a project / fun vehicle. ;)

PAT303
18th November 2014, 02:13 PM

When it goes forward into a hole at any speed over 20 while I'm in it yes :p. Pat

PAT303
18th November 2014, 02:19 PM

Not having a go but couldn't go back,I often think about were I've been in LC and Series,I don't understand how I put up with the crashing and bashing but back then none of us new any different. Pat

PAT303
18th November 2014, 02:23 PM
Rovercare,has the dual cab got lap sash middle belt in the back or 3 point?. Pat

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 02:57 PM
Not having a go but couldn't go back,I often think about were I've been in LC and Series,I don't understand how I put up with the crashing and bashing but back then none of us new any different. Pat

Very true mate..I understand fully where you are coming from;)

Lots of people don't know how they coped with a LJ Suzuki's either[same vintage]

Terrible ride, drum brakes all round, steering that's all over the road..barely any power..max out at 80 in the LJ50 2 stroke and 100 kph in th LJ80/LJ81:p

But people just put up with it haha:p

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 02:59 PM
I had one very similar to that when I first started working out at The Granites in the 80's (company vehicle). We used to call it the Noddy Wagon - that's what your head used to do non stop when the vehicle was moving.

It went faster in 4th than it did in 5th (mine was 4 cyl diesel engine) - wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :D

Used to use it occasionally for chasing camels across the flat - the camels could easily out-run it. :D

Mine was top heavy - it had a massive steel roofrack on it and a ladder up one side at the rear for access to the roof - so you had to watch it on side slopes or pushing too hard into a corner. But the bloody thing would go anywhere - there wasn't another vehicle on site that could match it when it come to getting through the really rough stuff (or mud). And it was solid - could take a hammering without any problems.

Compared to what it was competing against at the time, it was a good vehicle. I'd happily have another now as a project / fun vehicle. ;)

Great story..they are fast becoming collectible!:cool:

rovercare
18th November 2014, 03:23 PM
Rovercare,has the dual cab got lap sash middle belt in the back or 3 point?. Pat

3 point centre belt? hahahaha

amtravic1
18th November 2014, 04:15 PM
I dont know why people are saying the FJ40 is a poor vehicle. I had an early 3 speed one with a 307 Chev. It was a great vehicle and easily went wherever I wanted. It rode well and handled well on the road. Perhaps the V8 made a difference. If I could find a good one for a project today I would snap it up.

rovercare
18th November 2014, 04:22 PM
I dont know why people are saying the FJ40 is a poor vehicle. I had an early 3 speed one with a 307 Chev. It was a great vehicle and easily went wherever I wanted. It rode well and handled well on the road. Perhaps the V8 made a difference. If I could find a good one for a project today I would snap it up.

I think your memories may of blurred over the years:D

2stroke
18th November 2014, 04:48 PM
I had a BJ42 about 22 years ago, at the time I loved it, but the only other 4wds I'd ever owned before then were a series 3 109, a series 1 80 and an LJ50. But even compared to what I was used to it rode so rough. The ex army s2a 109 that I replaced it with even seemed smooth after that.
Wasn't till I bought a worn out 2door Rangie that I realized that a 4wd could actually be fast, comfy AND capable offroad.... Learnt a lot about fixing cars around that time as well.:angel:

PAT303
18th November 2014, 05:46 PM
Very true mate..I understand fully where you are coming from;)

Lots of people don't know how they coped with a LJ Suzuki's either[same vintage]

Terrible ride, drum brakes all round, steering that's all over the road..barely any power..max out at 80 in the LJ50 2 stroke and 100 kph in th LJ80/LJ81:p

But people just put up with it haha:p

My cousin had a zook,I helped him fit a 1600 corolla motor which was a common swap for the 2 stroke back then. Pat

PAT303
18th November 2014, 05:49 PM
3 point centre belt? hahahaha

Thats pretty ordinary,the Hilux is the same,they might have airbags but at least the defender has proper seat belts. Pat

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 06:57 PM
My cousin had a zook,I helped him fit a 1600 corolla motor which was a common swap for the 2 stroke back then. Pat

So I have heard!:)

You showing your age a bit there;)

4x4 MORE
18th November 2014, 06:59 PM
I had a BJ42 about 22 years ago, at the time I loved it, but the only other 4wds I'd ever owned before then were a series 3 109, a series 1 80 and an LJ50. But even compared to what I was used to it rode so rough. The ex army s2a 109 that I replaced it with even seemed smooth after that.
Wasn't till I bought a worn out 2door Rangie that I realized that a 4wd could actually be fast, comfy AND capable offroad.... Learnt a lot about fixing cars around that time as well.:angel:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

A Series 1 would have been pretty rough too..and really really slow:p

But they are worth a bit these days..:D

bob10
18th November 2014, 07:13 PM

Mate of mine had a 2 stroke suzi in Darwin, back in the 80's. Towed a 12 ft boat, only carried the necessities, took him where he wanted to go, no problem. No 3 son wants a Suzi, not a new one, I'll keep that 1600 motor option open, if we find the right vehicle, Bob

rovercare
19th November 2014, 06:33 AM
Thats pretty ordinary,the Hilux is the same,they might have airbags but at least the defender has proper seat belts. Pat

As with anything in life Pat, if you look hard enough for a reason, you will always find one:D

BMKal
19th November 2014, 08:58 AM
Hey Pat - is there any truth to the rumour that you blokes up in Newman will give anything a go on or off road ????? :p

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25551091/pilot-fined-for-parched-pub-stop/

PAT303
19th November 2014, 09:28 AM
Brian,that bloke lives across the road from my mate,he did it as a dare. Pat

PAT303
19th November 2014, 09:31 AM
As with anything in life Pat, if you look hard enough for a reason, you will always find one:D

I know,but most people buy duel cabs or wagons because of their kids. Pat

rovercare
19th November 2014, 09:34 AM
Good on him, so much for a laugh these days, should hand the hat around Newman to help pay his way...

rovercare
19th November 2014, 09:37 AM
I know,but most people buy duel cabs or wagons because of their kids. Pat

Yep, I've got 2 kids and a vasectomy, so I have no middle belt issues:D

bob10
19th November 2014, 11:41 AM
Brian,that bloke lives across the road from my mate,he did it as a dare. Pat

Ah, yes, the build up to the wet. Silly season, gotta love it, Bob

Steve223
20th November 2014, 06:54 AM
Very much looking forward to the new Defender. Imagine if they fixed the 'issues' with the old one but kept the same off road ability.

what issues? [emoji72]

4x4 MORE
20th November 2014, 11:43 AM
Mate of mine had a 2 stroke suzi in Darwin, back in the 80's. Towed a 12 ft boat, only carried the necessities, took him where he wanted to go, no problem. No 3 son wants a Suzi, not a new one, I'll keep that 1600 motor option open, if we find the right vehicle, Bob

Good Luck finding a rust free LJ;)

Much easier to get a Sierra..or if he's soft maybe a Vitara:p