PDA

View Full Version : Sitec's Trailer.

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 12:09 PM
Well, I now have a trailer to go behind the 101. A big thanks again to Mick Marsh for the find and link! A quick look at the advert and a short chat with the seller, and 'Buy it now' was clicked. Another chat with the now confused seller as I'd bought and paid for it, he didn't understand the whole 'Buy it now' principle, and couldn't work out how I'd paid for it!!! Anyway, I had a trailer.. In the ACT!! As luck would have it, I was headed over that way with work, so I now had a road trip to look forward to! Here's a pic of said trailer b4 I'd seen it....

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 12:25 PM
The journey over was great. Works ute performed well, and the new swag worked a treat! So, I eventually get there, and meet a nice guy who's obviously an I.T guru, and dabbles with EBay and s/h cars on the side. He'd bought an unseen lot of 4 trailers late in 2013.. He thought he'd bought 3 1/2 tonne trailers and 1 3/4 tonne trailer... What actually turned up were 3 x 1 tonners and an even bigger single axle trailer to suit a Unimog or Bus! His family went nuts at the arrivals, and he sold them slowly at a loss.. Mine was the last to go, and $150 under the purchase price he paid! Win for me!
Once hooked up to the specially made drawbar adapter we were on our way.. on up to Mudgee for work via the Blue Mountains. Here's where I had a prob. I stopped to take some pics of the views and checked the hub temps while I was at it. RHS was a little warmer than it should b. not smoking hot, but warm. Off with the wheel, drum and have a look. All new shoes, drum like new, adjusters backed off, and nothing looking bad so I pulled a link so the shoes were right back, and locked the overrun out. Wheel back on and off we go!!

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 12:33 PM
Mudgee or bust! Off we go again, and at a happy 100 kmh. The trailer has a steel chassis, decent length springs, and an alli body, so is very light for its size. Its running new 750 R16 tyres, and really tows well. I spent the next night in the hills just outside Mudgee, having dropped one machine off for work at Penrith, and dropped an old Honda bike off that I collected in Adelaide for another forum member. Here's a shot of the camp spot. Having unloaded the first bike, I now had my return load.. Another bike. A well travelled one to... An old BMW Airhead I believe...

Mick_Marsh
22nd November 2014, 12:42 PM
They are a great trailer. So many people have wanted to buy mine.
What it the ARN of yours, those little white numbers written on the back?

I picked up a set of hood bows for mine yesterday.

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 01:51 PM
They are a great trailer. So many people have wanted to buy mine.
What it the ARN of yours, those little white numbers written on the back?

I picked up a set of hood bows for mine yesterday.

Hi Mick. ARN 34 675. What's the ARN then? Australian Release Number?... Just getting to mine this morning. The RH brake will need a minor adjustment, and I'm repositioning the ring hitch in front of the drawbar so it'll sit level behind the 101. (Don't cringe, Im doing it in such a way that it can be easily reversed if needed). Like the sound of hood bows... Was thinking of getting the neighbour to make up a canvas top for mine! :)

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 02:00 PM
Here's how I'm altering the drawbar. Rather than cutting the original A frame about, I'm relocating the coupling in front of it, which will make t 110mm lower, and make the tow point 400mm further forward. By doing this it will be easier to reverse, make it tow even better than it already does, and allow it to sit level behind a 101 with the nato hitch bolted directly to the rear x member in its original position. By adding to the drawbar rather than cutting it, it can easily be reversed.

Mick_Marsh
22nd November 2014, 05:12 PM
That is a very good idea. You might want to gusset that tongue though.
With the sellers comment that he's made a loss, that's what happens when you bid against your market. In his case, because his family disapproved, he had to "fire sale" the things.
They are very saleable at the right price. I'm amazed at the number of people (particularly tradies with trucks) that have said "Nice trailer mate. Do you want to sell it?" and I have had to reply "No".

Sitec
22nd November 2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah, there a well built rig.. Gussets r in, here's a shot of it primed and the ring back in place. Just need to lengthen the brake pipe tomorrow! As for the seller, yeah, the bigger trailer he had was sold to a guy with a very smart Unimog that was set up for a big trip. The trailer suited it perfectly as it was on 22.5" rims! What's the ARN all about then?:)

Mick_Marsh
22nd November 2014, 09:22 PM
Nice.
The other trailer probably would have been one of these:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/military-trailers/106441-mgb-3t-trailer.html

I should have bought a trailer last week. The Horndraulic.
Bugger.

JayBoRover
22nd November 2014, 10:36 PM
Now if you guys were to find another decent trailer for hanging off the back of a 101, I'd have the perfect excuse for another trip across to say hello;).:wasntme:

Mick_Marsh
22nd November 2014, 10:45 PM
Now if you guys were to find another decent trailer for hanging off the back of a 101, I'd have the perfect excuse for another trip across to say hello;).:wasntme:
Well, funny you should say.........
You have a UK 101. Back in the UK the 101's sometimes towed wide track Sanky trailers. A bit like Gav's, but wider.
I know where there is one the owner may be enticed to part with. I think it needs a bit of work but I know you can get that sort of thing done.

JayBoRover
22nd November 2014, 11:24 PM
Well, funny you should say.........
You have a UK 101. Back in the UK the 101's sometimes towed wide track Sanky trailers. A bit like Gav's, but wider.
I know where there is one the owner may be enticed to part with. I think it needs a bit of work but I know you can get that sort of thing done.
Do tell ... just tell it quietly so my wife doesn't hear!:wasntme:

Mick_Marsh
22nd November 2014, 11:53 PM
Nothing more to tell.
Give AJ a call.
Land Rover 101 - British 4wd Imports - Home Page (http://101spares.com/)
Ask him if he still has it.

Sitec
23rd November 2014, 02:00 PM
Well, funny. Should mention trailer sales... I've bought this one as a stop gap while I build my camper trailer to suit the 101.. Original plan was to buy a trailer for its ring hitch, springs and axle.. but now I have it home, its too good a trailer to sacrifice for axles etc, so I'll b using it until I've built another then it'll b for sale (with drawbar already modified for a 101!). If I could find a 101 rear axle and ring hitch, it'd b for sale within a few months..... Anyhow, here it is behind the 101. :)

Sitec
23rd November 2014, 02:02 PM
Mick, here's a pic of the other trailer the guy had... The 'big one' as he called it!!!

Mick_Marsh
23rd November 2014, 02:06 PM
Ooooh!
I like that. I'd say for a Mog.

Sitec
23rd November 2014, 02:10 PM
On the money... This is what towed it away! :)

Sitec
23rd November 2014, 02:12 PM
Well decked out rig! And the trailer sold for......... $1500 so I was told.

Mick_Marsh
23rd November 2014, 02:14 PM
I've seen photo's of this elsewhere.

JayBoRover
24th November 2014, 12:53 AM
Well, funny. Should mention trailer sales... I've bought this one as a stop gap while I build my camper trailer to suit the 101.. Original plan was to buy a trailer for its ring hitch, springs and axle.. but now I have it home, its too good a trailer to sacrifice for axles etc, so I'll b using it until I've built another then it'll b for sale (with drawbar already modified for a 101!). If I could find a 101 rear axle and ring hitch, it'd b for sale within a few months..... Anyhow, here it is behind the 101. :)
So is that a wide-track Sankey then is it Simon? It looks a lot bigger than a Sankey, but maybe just the angle of the photo. Looks awesome! What size is the tray? I can just see it picking up firewood around the block in the interim and then doing fuel transport duty for the big 101 CSR run in 2016:wasntme:. I might have to "find" some items to put in it to justify a trip to pick it up:p.

303gunner
24th November 2014, 01:28 AM
Hi Mick. ARN 34 675. What's the ARN then? Australian Release Number?... :)
In case you're wondering, ARN stands for Army Registration Number. Ie: the number plate. It's a handy number to keep as it IDs your trailer and helps you track it's history.

34-675 (http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0074-5006043/transport-trucks-and-trailers/land-rover-110-6x6-infantry-carrier-hard-top?redirect=0)

Your mate also got stuck with:
232-486 (http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0071-5006043/transport-trucks-and-trailers/land-rover-110-6x6-infantry-carrier-hard-top?redirect=0), and
34-648 (http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0073-5006043/transport-trucks-and-trailers/land-rover-110-6x6-infantry-carrier-hard-top?redirect=0).

Sitec
24th November 2014, 04:19 PM
So is that a wide-track Sankey then is it Simon? It looks a lot bigger than a Sankey, but maybe just the angle of the photo. Looks awesome! What size is the tray? I can just see it picking up firewood around the block in the interim and then doing fuel transport duty for the big 101 CSR run in 2016:wasntme:. I might have to "find" some items to put in it to justify a trip to pick it up:p.

Mick said that they call them a One Tonner, but I don't think its a Sankey. The paperwork says 'One Tonne Cargo Box'. Dimensions are 2.2m long, 2.0m wide, with approx 450mm height sides. It also has a drop down rear tailgate and 4 tie points in the floor. Hitch is now modified to run level behind a 101. :)

Mick_Marsh
24th November 2014, 05:49 PM
As Sitec says, it's a 1 ton cargo.
Australian built. Mine was made by Crump & Cornish. I understand others were made by Haulmark. I have another that has the same chassis but different tub that is made by BAE Systems.
Pics of the 1 ton cargo:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/military-trailers/151077-micks-trailer-projects.html#post2048232
The Sankey is UK built.
If you want mine, I'd swap it for a Rapier re-supply trailer in similar condition (like that will ever happen). Other than that, I'll put you on my "persons to notify" list.

JayBoRover
24th November 2014, 11:03 PM
I think they're Rapier re-supply trailers I have hooked up behind the Vampires around the back of the shed:D Did you want the green or the brown one?

Mick_Marsh
24th November 2014, 11:50 PM
I'll take all those Rapier Re-Supply trailers and Vampires off your hands and send you a 1 ton Crump and Cornish trailer.
Yes, I know that is not necessary, but I'll have nowhere to park it when the Vampires arrive.

JayBoRover
25th November 2014, 12:18 AM
Hmmm. I'm working off-shore on a rig at the moment and am unable to make the arrangements. I agree to your price and will pay you an additional 10% for your trouble if you can help me out with delivery. (I'm not exactly how this scam works but bear with me as it's my first time ... honest ... cross my heart:spamsign: (I couldn't find "scam" so "spam" will have to do:lol2:)). So you send me the Crump and Cornish trailer (are you sure it's not a Crumpet and Cornish Pastry?? - Don't try to scam the scammer!) and when it arrives I'll send the Vampires and Rapier re-supply trailers:ehand:.

Mick_Marsh
25th November 2014, 12:24 AM
Hey, John, newsflash in the Canning thread and a PM sent.
Still a bit exy in my opinion but well worth investigating.

mark_coffey
25th November 2014, 05:10 PM
a very impressive set up you have there SITEC, a couple more ribs on the trailer and it would really look the part with the 101!

Sitec
30th November 2014, 09:54 PM
So, I finally got back to the trailer today. I refitted the ring hitch with the master cylinder above it as it was originally, but it was all too close to the tow vehicle, so I've now shifted the master cylinder back and turned it around so it works directly off the drawbar slider. Now the a frame protects it, and I can turn the 101 sharply without risk of wiping the master cylinder out! I've also fitted a 7 pin plug, and tested the lights.. All fine but dull (24 v globes), so will grab some 12 volt replacements tomorrow! Just got to find a decent jack stand and we'll be ready to use it! :)

Happy Travellers
3rd December 2014, 10:15 PM
Yeah, there a well built rig.. Gussets r in, here's a shot of it primed and the ring back in place. Just need to lengthen the brake pipe tomorrow! As for the seller, yeah, the bigger trailer he had was sold to a guy with a very smart Unimog that was set up for a big trip. The trailer suited it perfectly as it was on 22.5" rims! What's the ARN all about then?:)
ARN is Army Registration Number. All vehicles, trailers bikes etc. are issued with an ARN which stays with that machine all its service life.