PDA

View Full Version : First Contact On SBS.

disco man
22nd November 2014, 12:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone watched the series,and what was your thoughts? Me personally i thought it was a masterpiece. It highlighted the ignorance of many Australians towards the Aboriginal people and their culture. I started off really disliking the people that were chosen (except Alice) as what they were saying was just utter bull**** and very narrow minded thinking,but as the series progressed and the understanding started to take shape you could see how it affected all of them deeply. This series was wonderfully made with genuine people and stories that only SBS or the ABC could do justice to. I strongly urge those who missed it to try and watch it.

Landy Smurf
22nd November 2014, 12:25 PM
I watched it and did enjoy it.
I dont know if I learnt much more from it.
I have personal views on aboriginal communities and welfare system.
It is a very touchy subject and seems to be a hard one to find a solution too without more segregation.

disco man
23rd November 2014, 02:06 PM
I watched it and did enjoy it.
I dont know if I learnt much more from it.
I have personal views on aboriginal communities and welfare system.
It is a very touchy subject and seems to be a hard one to find a solution too without more segregation.

For me it wasn't so much about learning about the Aboriginal people and their communities,it was more about how ignorant and racist some people can be. I agree it's a very sensitive issue with a solution that is far beyond clear. I think the answer will come from the Aboriginal people themselves.

Sprint
23rd November 2014, 02:32 PM
The idea is great, but there is a vast divide between aboriginals living in communities and the charming individuals that you encounter in suburbia....

Try getting spat on because you said no when one of them asks for a smoke or a light and you tell them you dont smoke.... nevermind getting told "you lying white/racist ****"

Or try walking home alone or in a small group, and the last thing you remember before waking up with an ambo checking you out after getting bashed was hearing "what did you say you racist ****"

Or try getting bashed by one who thought you were having it off with his girl, then seeing him get a $1k fine for assault, despite being on parole, and having prior convictions for assault!

Same guy also got his then 15yo girlfriend pregnant (he was in his early 20's) and the cops didnt do a thing.....

I've worked with a few (and those guys were generally harder workers than the non-indigenous on the crew), but I've known plenty more where it would be a public service to shoot them.

Equality my ****, it seems some people are more equal than others.

disco man
23rd November 2014, 03:44 PM
The idea is great, but there is a vast divide between aboriginals living in communities and the charming individuals that you encounter in suburbia....

Try getting spat on because you said no when one of them asks for a smoke or a light and you tell them you dont smoke.... nevermind getting told "you lying white/racist ****"

Or try walking home alone or in a small group, and the last thing you remember before waking up with an ambo checking you out after getting bashed was hearing "what did you say you racist ****"

Or try getting bashed by one who thought you were having it off with his girl, then seeing him get a $1k fine for assault, despite being on parole, and having prior convictions for assault!

Same guy also got his then 15yo girlfriend pregnant (he was in his early 20's) and the cops didnt do a thing.....

I've worked with a few (and those guys were generally harder workers than the non-indigenous on the crew), but I've known plenty more where it would be a public service to shoot them.

Equality my ****, it seems some people are more equal than others.

I see your point,i got picked on a bullied in High school in Cairns by Aboriginal kids. But i also know not all of them are like that. There is scum in all races,not just black.

Ean Austral
23rd November 2014, 05:36 PM
Concept was proberly right, but in my personal opinion if you don't have respect for yourself or how you live then its a loosing battle no matter where your from or what colour you are.

Not sure of the answers, but the ideas I do have are far from what a lot of people would like to hear.

Come and live in the territory or Northern Australia and your eyes may just get opened a little.

Cheers Ean