PDA

View Full Version : Uphill snatch recoveries?

FeatherWeightDriver
23rd November 2014, 08:27 AM
Found this video in my travels, and I wondered if there was a better way to make this recovery, assuming no alternative route and you had to get up that hill...

Running any strap over that lip, especially for a snatch, does not look like a good idea for strength of longevity of gear.

Http://youtu.be/kDTW2BzGeY8

Action starts at 1:45 and the music is terrible!

Discofever
23rd November 2014, 08:39 AM
I can't see another way out of it unless you want to put in a few hours hard labour. You could possibly dig out part of the sides of that cutting to assist the car getting out itself but that's hard work and will also further silt up the stream.

Looks like an ok way out. If there is a fail at either end the snatch and D shackle should either shoot out into the air or out over the terrace of the stream thereby avoiding both vehicles and hopefully onlookers. My biggest concern with recoveries is the amount of people holding phone 2 metres away.

If you're concerned the about the longevity of a $50 snatch strap buy three and chuck them in the back. You've got to be prepared for some wear and tear along the way to the Cape, especially when tackling sections like the one in your vid.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for posting. :cool:

101RRS
23rd November 2014, 09:28 AM
That was a standard tow recovery no snatching was involved - damage to gear is a fact of life and often there is no alternative.

For situation like that in the vid I carry an old snatch strap that has it past its useby date and has a bit of damage and I use it as a tow rope - never snatching. If in that situation I would have used this old strap rather than a good strap that might have to be used as in a snatch.

Garry

Tank
23rd November 2014, 10:32 AM
That was a standard tow recovery no snatching was involved - damage to gear is a fact of life and often there is no alternative.

For situation like that in the vid I carry an old snatch strap that has it past its useby date and has a bit of damage and I use it as a tow rope - never snatching. If in that situation I would have used this old strap rather than a good strap that might have to be used as in a snatch.

Garry

I would have used a chain to tow him out, or turned the recovery vehicle around and winched him up.
Saying that I have used a strap in a recovery where it was going to get damaged, but had no choice as we needed all the length we could get, which included 2 straps a full length of chain and the towed vehicles winch cable, the strap they used may have been all they had and if it was they would be idiots for remote travelling without adequate recovery gear, Regards Frank.

FeatherWeightDriver
23rd November 2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks all for the feedback so far.

I probably would have done the same, even if it mean sacrificing one of my older straps, but I was wondering if there was a batter way.

Maybe I might invest in a length of rated chain after all.