PDA

View Full Version : TJM winches...

YOLO110
3rd December 2014, 08:10 PM
Had a look at these today, they look well made in China...

1/2 the price of a Warn... 1/2 as good?

Does anyone have any experience or feedback about TJM winches please?

Cheers,

Pete :)

Tombie
3rd December 2014, 08:13 PM
Runva mate -11000XP for $650 with Dyneema and a great warranty.

d2dave
3rd December 2014, 08:19 PM
Not speculating whether or not these are any good, but warranty is worthless if it fails when you are stuck on your own in the middle of nowhere.

Tombie
3rd December 2014, 08:20 PM
True... Plenty up here are punishing these and they are running sweet.

We've pulled them apart - easily on par with Warn.

Tombie
3rd December 2014, 08:21 PM
Only brand I've ever had fail me was Warn... And no warranty cover either...

rangieman
3rd December 2014, 08:44 PM
Not speculating whether or not these are any good, but warranty is worthless if it fails when you are stuck on your own in the middle of nowhere.

And your Landy never has a problem and LR are quiet happy to repair it even if it is out of warranty:p

d2dave
3rd December 2014, 10:42 PM
And your Landy never has a problem and LR are quiet happy to repair it even if it is out of warranty:p

My point was that it was suggested because of a good warranty they must me ok. The P76 had a good warranty.

Tombie
4th December 2014, 12:23 AM
My point was that it was suggested because of a good warranty they must me ok. The P76 had a good warranty.

Pigs arse it was...

My post gave a brand, model, price and noted a warranty. (Runva *AND* a good warranty).

You made an ASSumption. I never implied anything.

YOLO110
4th December 2014, 06:53 AM
Runva mate -11000XP for $650 with Dyneema and a great warranty.

Thanks Tombie, :)

Any idea where I can get one of these for $ 650? Only seen circa $ 900... :confused:

Cheers,

Pete.

P.S I think I would prefer a wire rope too... UV, Dynema and all of that jazz!

Tombie
4th December 2014, 08:34 AM
Here: http://www.runvawinch.com.au/winches/4wd-electric/11xp/

They're on eBay from local sellers with free freight too.

In a winch bar, Dyneema is no worries - my Dyneema on my car has been on that winch for 8 years with no ill effects.

The safety and convenience of the rope if well worth it.

If your winch is mounted on top of the bar like the defender tube bars - the winch comes with a neoprene cover to go over it.

Doc130
4th December 2014, 05:18 PM
As soon as you take any winch under water, warranty void, warn included!!!! Winches need to be serviceable, and if running dyneema rope needs to be pulled out and dry before running back onto the winch after each trip, that's if your serious about gear lasting.

Tombie
4th December 2014, 05:32 PM
As soon as you take any winch under water, warranty void, warn included!!!! Winches need to be serviceable, and if running dyneema rope needs to be pulled out and dry before running back onto the winch after each trip, that's if your serious about gear lasting.

Wrong!

There is a document where all manufacturers were queried on this.

Warn - spot on - water in, no warranty.

Runva - warranty valid as they confirm sealed.
Only requirement is service as per their document.

FeatherWeightDriver
4th December 2014, 05:45 PM
As soon as you take any winch under water, warranty void, warn included!!!!

Citation required please.

It's not that I don't believe you. But if what you say is true I won't buy a Warn winch while any other reasonable brand offers warranty after a dunking.

The warranty statement on the WARN website ( https://www.warn.com/corporate/truck_warranty_statements.shtml - yes I know it is US based) doesn't exclude it, but various other forums have "numerous" claims of warranty knock backs after getting the winch wet.

On the other hand, the user manual for the ZEON 10-S Platinum says "Never
Never submerge winch in water, if not IP68 rated" (pg 7 of https://www.warn.com/truck/assets/pdf/ZeonPlatinum_WinchOperationsManual.pdf ), even though the product page on the website says "Extreme waterproofing meets rigorous IP68 standards--the highest rating in the WARN Truck/SUV winch lineup" (see https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S_Pltnm.shtml )

Confused? I am... :confused:

Doc130
4th December 2014, 06:44 PM
As I said, it must be SERVICEABLE, runva might claim water poof, why do you have to service it as per their document, have a think about it. Any little thing they can get you on they will. People that think you can just put a winch on and forget about it are dreaming, unless it's just there for show, driving around on the road. As said previously, a warranty is useless when your 400km from nearest help!

d2dave
4th December 2014, 07:25 PM
People that think you can just put a winch on and forget about it are dreaming

I found this out. Got stuck once, no problems plenty of trees. Wrong. Winch no worky($1800 Warn)

Lucky it was not a life and death situation. When I got home I removed the winch and dismantled it. The outer bearing on the motor was seized, a $5.00 part. It had been under water many a time.

This made me realize that this thing needs to be removed, stripped and cleaned from time to time.

I have not seen any service interval stuff like we get with a car, but knowing how long it had been on the car as I purchased the winch new, I now have my own service schedule.

If it goes under water it must be removed, stripped and cleaned and new motor bearings within two years.

If it has not been submerged I am not too fussed other than to check it before going out on a trip.

Doc130
4th December 2014, 07:59 PM
D2 dave good on ya mate, exactly what I am trying to explain to these guys that obviously are a bit green when it comes to winches when used for serious off-roading and what's required to keep them going. If a winch has been on for years without maintenance, the only way it will still work is if the vehicle has never been offroad. That means, never seen dirt, mud, sand , dust etc.!!

Tombie
4th December 2014, 08:49 PM
Doc130 - pull your head in! Green... Righto....

People who can't read and comprehend what's written and make assumptions on the level of experience of others need to read again, and do some research.

The info here is the best research on this topic I've found... Saves me typing

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/general-4x4-discussion/25959-winch-warrantys-who-support-when-walk.html

Doc130
4th December 2014, 08:54 PM
Listen tombie. I go off real life experience, not just off what you found on the net. You need to get out more mate

Tombie
4th December 2014, 09:11 PM
Listen tombie. I go off real life experience, not just off what you found on the net. You need to get out more mate

Right... If ya say so....

I've just provided a synopsis of data, you are just talking.

On a majority of your posts there's a pile of half-facts... And you're parroting all the knowns.

How much offroad do you do a week? How remote?

Had winches fail have you? That would be because you didn't look after them...
I've had one fail - was 3 months old, and rain had entered the motor (Warn 9500XP).
Warranty was void.

It's the only time I've had a winch fail.

Oh and as for experience: people send me gear to test. I've had Tmax, Warn, Ironman, Premier, Mile marker and Runva. All tested, write ups etc..

I've tested driving lights, shocks, suspension set ups etc.

But that's ok, keep making assumptions.

LandyAndy
4th December 2014, 09:15 PM
Doc130 - pull your head in! Green... Righto....

People who can't read and comprehend what's written and make assumptions on the level of experience of others need to read again, and do some research.

The info here is the best research on this topic I've found... Saves me typing

WINCH WARRANTY'S,who to support and when to walk - 4x4 Earth (http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/general-4x4-discussion/25959-winch-warrantys-who-support-when-walk.html)

Thanks for the winch link and reccomendation Shrek:p
:p:p
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Not after an expensive winch that may never get used,when I have the coin I will look for one of those.
Cheers
Andrew

Tombie
4th December 2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the winch link and reccomendation Shrek:p
:p:p
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Not after an expensive winch that may never get used,when I have the coin I will look for one of those.
Cheers
Andrew

Don't listen to me Ranga. Apparently I don't know what I'm doing - I need to get out more... :) :)

Doc130
4th December 2014, 09:26 PM
Tombie do own a defender, if not, that says it all!!! You just stick to your disco mate, that thing is nice to drive in the road. Ha ha

MR LR
4th December 2014, 09:37 PM
As I said, it must be SERVICEABLE, runva might claim water poof, why do you have to service it as per their document, have a think about it. Any little thing they can get you on they will. People that think you can just put a winch on and forget about it are dreaming, unless it's just there for show, driving around on the road. As said previously, a warranty is useless when your 400km from nearest help!
What is your point?

Every winch needs servicing, and Runva's are sealed from the elements, thus they are less likely to break; as the quality of components is up there with the best, environmental factors can be pretty well disregarded... The warranty supports this theory.

Your argument is full of holes, and is nothing but heresay...

Regards
Will

(P.s. I have a Warn).

MR LR
4th December 2014, 09:37 PM
Tombie do own a defender, if not, that says it all!!! You just stick to your disco mate, that thing is nice to drive in the road. Ha ha
I lost it at this one... HAHAHAHA, do some background research, noooooooooob.

Tombie
4th December 2014, 09:38 PM

Bwahahaha...

My Wife does... Says they're a great girls vehicle...

Doc130
4th December 2014, 09:50 PM
Ha ha, let me get this right, you drive a disco and your wife drives a defender!! I can only imagine what sort of MAN you are!! I'm better off talking to your wife, does she run the winch rope for ya?? Ha ha

Basil135
4th December 2014, 09:58 PM
Guys, guys, guys....

Just give me 5 mins, will ya?

The popcorn is nearly ready... :D

MR LR
4th December 2014, 10:01 PM
Ha ha, let me get this right, you drive a disco and your wife drives a defender!! I can only imagine what sort of MAN you are!! I'm better off talking to your wife, does she run the winch rope for ya?? Ha ha
All your intelligence... summed up nicely... in ONE ******* LINE!

This is gold...

Come on Doctor Knowitall, talk some tech!

Doc130
4th December 2014, 10:09 PM
Hey mr LR, who asked you anyway? Think you guys need a couple of spoons of concrete. Harden the **** up!!

LandyAndy
4th December 2014, 10:11 PM
Shrek wouldnt fit in a 90;););););)
Had a few other nice Landys in the past too.
Dont know that he knows **** from clay though;);););););)
Andrew

Ean Austral
4th December 2014, 10:15 PM
Guys, guys, guys....

Just give me 5 mins, will ya?

The popcorn is nearly ready... :D

Hope you have the extra large popcorn, think you will need to share. :D

just let me take the cover off the delete button first.

Cheers Ean

MR LR
4th December 2014, 10:23 PM
Hey mr LR, who asked you anyway? Think you guys need a couple of spoons of concrete. Harden the **** up!!
See... if you'd done any background research you'd know I don't have to be asked before I give my opinion. :p

Seeings as though you are the one sooking, maybe you should prescribe the cement to yourself?

TerryO
4th December 2014, 10:28 PM

Doc calm down mate your making a goose out of yourself with some of your comments.

You have only been here a couple of months which is fine but its obvious from your comments that you don't know much about the history of some of the long time regulars like Tombie.

Might be an idea to do some homework before telling people they have no experience and commenting on their choice of vehicle.

Doc130
4th December 2014, 10:29 PM
No sooking going on here mr LR, and certainly no concrete needed here!!

LandyAndy
4th December 2014, 10:34 PM
Almost a full moon people;););););)
Andrew

Tombie
4th December 2014, 10:38 PM
Hope you have the extra large popcorn, think you will need to share. :D

just let me take the cover off the delete button first.

Cheers Ean

It'll be fine Ean... Docs obviously easily amused...

Other than the fact he's a noob that likes to "imagine what kind of Man" other blokes are... (Hmmm that's kinda awkward there Doc) and he can't seem to comprehend English quite as well as he should - I see no reason to indulge the fellow in any further discourse.

Doc130
4th December 2014, 11:09 PM
You just keep up the good work testing all those products mate!!!!! The funny thing is, if u claim to be that much of a genius, u would understand what I was trying to say about winches. You do live in SA though, so.............

LandyAndy
4th December 2014, 11:18 PM
Im guessing a 130 is the most capable vehicle Land Rover ever produced.
Andrew

Doc130
4th December 2014, 11:19 PM
90,110,130 either one

MR LR
4th December 2014, 11:26 PM
90,110,130 either one
I guess that just excludes all the tracks that require the flex and traction of an early Range Rover, and suit a 100" wheelbase the best then?

Talk about blind... far out.

Doc130
4th December 2014, 11:36 PM
Ha ha !!! Just what I was after mr LR, you guys are too funny!!! Got ya again!!!!

YOLO110
5th December 2014, 08:07 AM
Well, I never thought my original post would drift in this way! [bigwhistle]

Thanks for the gen anyway!!! :)

Cheers,

Tombie
5th December 2014, 08:13 AM
Well, I never thought my original post would drift in this way! [bigwhistle]

Thanks for the gen anyway!!! :)

Cheers,

No worries Pete... Hopefully the info I linked will help when it comes to choosing a suitable unit for you.

As for the other posts... Well I can only offer my apologies :)

steane
5th December 2014, 09:06 AM
Had a look at these today, they look well made in China...

1/2 the price of a Warn... 1/2 as good?

Does anyone have any experience or feedback about TJM winches please?

Cheers,

I agree with what has been said about Runva. I have also visited the factory that make TJM winches just out of Ningbo in China. It's a family owned outfit and the only one I saw that produced the winch from scratch. From casting to completion, so they have a say in quality control right from the start.

I brought back two of their top of the line waterproof winches (not sold here by TJM) and they've been good so far. They have very competitive line speed v current draw stats.

But hard to beat Runva for value, quality and warranty at the moment.

YOLO110
5th December 2014, 09:51 AM
No worries Pete... Hopefully the info I linked will help when it comes to choosing a suitable unit for you.

As for the other posts... Well I can only offer my apologies :)

LOL! Now't wrong with friendly banter mate! :D

Anyway, Runva 11XP winch now ordered, Many thanks for the great info! :)

Cheers,

d2dave
5th December 2014, 11:11 AM
Pete. What vehicle is it going on?

workingonit
5th December 2014, 11:11 AM
Just rang the local Darwin agent for Runva.

The 11XP is on special down from $649 to $625, but freight is $100.

Thinking of install in RRC. Want to avoid bulky bull bar and make simple radiator protection and preserve as much of the 52 degree approach as possible.

Any suggestions for cradle design? I noticed for their hydraulic winch cradles they recommend something like 8-9mm thick plate. Any generic cradle I find on ebay etc is only about 3mm - is that really sufficient?

YOLO110
5th December 2014, 04:57 PM
Pete. What vehicle is it going on?

My new 110 Puma mate! :D

Tombie
5th December 2014, 09:52 PM

Fits the bar nicely...

BMKal
6th December 2014, 01:26 PM
:p

Fits the bar nicely...

Looking good. :D

Best looking colour I've seen on a Defender in a long time IMHO.

That's the first time I'd noticed the DEFENDER badging on the bonnet - and I was looking at a new Defender recently at the 4wd show in Perth too. :eek:

I'd be a bit worried about people thinking it's not a real Land Rover any more, rather one for the latte set ................... (which is a bit like what I tell LandyAndy about his new white fridge with the DISCOVERY badge across the bonnet where the LAND ROVER badge should be). :p

jackdef90
14th December 2014, 04:02 AM
implh

Blknight.aus
14th December 2014, 11:24 AM

Hmm, Since I'm now responsible for the overall maintenance of tombies old defer

Doc Id quite happily take you on with whatever you drive in tombies old Defer but given the general tenor of your posts I dont think I need to bother, Im pretty sure I could let either of my 70 odd year old parents do it with a negilible change in the result

your not by some chance related to either JohnR or Juddy are you?

d2dave
14th December 2014, 08:37 PM
your not by some chance related to either JohnR or Juddy are you?

Possibly related to *********.

Edit. Don't ask me why the stars as I did not type a swear word, just a username.

wayne
20th December 2014, 07:46 AM
Tombie that was some good info. The motor on my Warn winch has just died on me( water ingress) I was just pondering weather I should pay $650.00 for a new motor or buy a chinese winch. I had not heard of Runva winches before. I can buy a new winch for the same price as a Warn motor. All my life I have been a Warn man, I think that is about to change.