PDA

View Full Version : Lower wishbone time. Advice stories wanted please

ade
8th December 2014, 09:43 PM
So got a lower front wishbone bush needs replacing.
Pretty sure the previous owner had the bushes replaced with poly. Probably why they haven't lasted. I want to go back to rubber bushes.
Should I replace the whole wishbones or by the kits to replace just the bushes?
Do I need to deflate the springs to make it easier? Tips tricks etc most welcome.
06 disco
Thanks

justinc
8th December 2014, 10:19 PM
Just fit complete wishbones, if you are approaching 90,000km then you'll need ball joints soon anyway.

Jc

Ean Austral
9th December 2014, 08:32 AM
So got a lower front wishbone bush needs replacing.
Pretty sure the previous owner had the bushes replaced with poly. Probably why they haven't lasted. I want to go back to rubber bushes.
Should I replace the whole wishbones or by the kits to replace just the bushes?
Do I need to deflate the springs to make it easier? Tips tricks etc most welcome.
06 disco
Thanks

I found there wasn't much difference in price to do the whole wishbone especially when you factor in time to remove/replace the bushes and the ball joint.
I did a tutorial on when I did mine, should be in the projects section. Was about 16 months ago now but it will still be there. Not a hard job just make sure that for a few days before you do it you spray the main bolts with CRC or similar and hope it works its way in, makes the job of undoing them heaps easier.

Cheers Ean

eddy
9th December 2014, 12:24 PM
I am waiting on some lower control arms from Advanced Factors to replace those on my D4.Have ordered a full kit with RRS arms, with the larger ball joint and will replace the rubber bushes with Super Pro polys.Hopefully will not have to cut the old arms off and will be able to fit the rubber bushes to them as spares.Will give it a go next week.
Assume you have a D3 003DK DISCOVERY 3 AIR SUSPENSION FRONT LOWER ARM FULL KIT FOR BOTH SIDES (http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/003dk-discovery-3-air-suspension-front-lower-arm-full-kit-for-both-sides-3634-p.asp) Freight 90GBp

IvanR
9th December 2014, 01:40 PM
Replace the complete arm. I replaced the bushes and ball joints only in order to save on freight. However did not last (12000 kms) and one bush failed. Have now replaced complete arms. Problem was that the bushes were not a proper fit in the old arms. Freight was same cost of the arms (75 pounds each)

Ivan

JonW
9th December 2014, 06:39 PM
Is this a known failure point? Seems 90k is fairly short lifespan for something as major as lower control arms.

Epic pooh
9th December 2014, 06:44 PM
Heavy vehicle with complex car like suspension ... personally I think they should be noted (like a few other things) as a service item. Mine is almost at 150,000km and I'm on my third set of LCA's ... its not the arm that fails, but usually the innermost bush goes (as it takes a pounding in normal driving) and it is easier/almost as economical (in my opinion) to just change the whole arm and that way you get new bushes and balljoints in one fell swoop.

Eric SDV6SE
15th December 2014, 02:43 PM
I was looking for a post like this - during last service at SLR (Perth WA), they told me that "the bushes in the front suspension are wearing / worn and will need replacing soon" SLR quoted this at "about $1600" ...:censored:....

I do have some noticeable steering wheel shudder at 100-110kmh and especially when light braking / washing speed off from cruising speed. Under heavier braking, it disappears completely. No pulsing of brake pedal noticed at all.

I am putting it down to wheels needing alignment (Am aware of the special way it needs to be done) and worn (H/T) tyres that are on the car as I have bought it.

I was also of the same opinion that at ~90K kms (at the time of the service) seems a bit odd that these items are already worn.

1. Don't feel like shelling out 1600 bucks for just a new set of bushes.
2. Would rather replace entire wishbones and ball joints if that's easier, but after having a look underneath, cannot see any obvious wear to the ball joints (no torn boots or grease spilling out, no free play in the arms etc.)

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
Just wondering what the real issue

PAT303
15th December 2014, 03:55 PM
Look at DLS Spares,$150 a side. Pat

Graeme
15th December 2014, 04:31 PM
However did not last (12000 kms) and one bush failed.
Were they genuine or after-market bushes?

crawal
15th December 2014, 05:09 PM
i too had the vibration , just had the bushes done (90K) , the local non dealer did them $400.00 all up $80.00 per bush balance labour and a couple of new bolts .
Nearly went the poly version but cousin that runs a Tyre power store said they would squeak too much and unless you did the rest of the car you would be disappointed .

huge difference :D:D
wheel alignment today now it really is a great car , just took a new Jeep owner
out in the bush and showed him why he has bought the wrong car !!!!

Epic pooh
15th December 2014, 05:46 PM
Graeme, I chewed genuine LCA at high 80's and then again by 130 ... so I now have non genuine ones in because they were a lot cheaper and I'll just change them more often. The non genuine ones I got (forgot which) have a stiffer bush feel than the genuine bushes ... might not be your cup of tea !

Graeme
15th December 2014, 07:36 PM
Mine's LCA bushes were replaced at 75K due to knocking in reverse but I haven't checked them since and don't really want to look in case they need doing again.

Eric SDV6SE
16th December 2014, 06:54 PM
i too had the vibration , just had the bushes done (90K) , the local non dealer did them $400.00 all up $80.00 per bush balance labour and a couple of new bolts .
Nearly went the poly version but cousin that runs a Tyre power store said they would squeak too much and unless you did the rest of the car you would be disappointed .

huge difference :D:D
wheel alignment today now it really is a great car , just took a new Jeep owner
out in the bush and showed him why he has bought the wrong car !!!!

Great, thanks I think I will go the non dealer bushes plus a wheel alignment option and see how I go

eddy
16th December 2014, 08:30 PM
Eric,I just changed the lower control arms on MY11 D4 using RRS arms.They have larger ball joints and more articulation than the originals which made them easier to fit.The bolts only had surface rust so came out easily whole job done in two hours!I did cheat a little by using Automotive DIY[Syd 0408166073] in Mandurah,excellent 2in1 hoist for hire.I was going to replace the bushes in the RRS arms with Super Pro bushes but did not have any decent drivers to get the rubber bushes out...so will wait till they give out,then burn hacksaw etc.If you want to do the job yourself, reference EAN's projects/tutorial page 7 and get in touch with Syd.....too easy!!