PDA

View Full Version : CACTUS JACKAROO AUTO TRANS

nismine01
9th December 2014, 08:08 PM
Nah, not that XYZ, a mate's Jackaroo, I'm trying to help him out of a dilemma.

Stupid thing is, my Disco is down at TRS and I'm working on his Jackaroo, I gotta be nuts.

Auto trans not working when he bought it (CHEEEEP), I'm to get it going, at first we thought c/o trans but the cost is too high for him.

I finally dropped the sumps off the tranny, first I drained the fluid, all 300ml of it.

Sump was clean enough inside, no bits at all but the oil was black, didn't smell all that bad though.

Flushed it, new filter and all back together, correctly filled and checked, I thought this is a cinch.

Not to be, drives in reverse. Drives in 1. Taken on the road (oops not reg) it drove through 1 to 2, got up to about 40k then angels till it got back down to speed for 1 again. Each time it rolls to a stop it re-engages first.

Select D, nothing, 3, nothing, 2, nothing 1 drives fine until it changes up to 2 then reverts to angels. Go 1, drive then go 2 drive, but little speed or come to 2 after D and nothing.

The selector/inhibitor switch seems dicky, I have pulled it off and apart, there is no seal around the body and the rubberised back seal has deteriorated so there is a huge gap where the wires go into the switch.

I am waiting on a workshop manual, just thought I'd drop a line here to see if there is any help forthcoming.

Still hoping that a switch will fix it, bu there are a lot of rumours going around about other bits and pieces.

Cheers and PLEASE guys. :(

Mike

d2dave
9th December 2014, 08:18 PM
Could be a sprag. On a BW 35 3 speed, if the sprag fails, the only way to get it to move is to manually select 1. It will not move in D and reverse will work.

wyll
10th December 2014, 06:37 PM
petrol or diesel
the diesels used the same aisin warnertrans that Toyota used in the prados
never gave us much grief
the v6 petrol autos did
check
wiring and solenoids in the pan

nismine01
11th December 2014, 06:45 PM
3.5 litre V6 petrol engine.

Mike

VladTepes
12th December 2014, 07:09 AM
Ouch all the problems worn or jackal were engine sensor loom and injectors.
Imho jackaroos are a hiding to nothing
Tell him to get out while he can

Even our Holden dealer refused to service the damn thing

Geedublya
13th December 2014, 04:25 AM
The auto transmission in the 3.5 V6 is right on the limit for maximum torque and failures are common. My mate has had his transmission rebuilt three times. The first two times it was taken to the local auto transmission repairer (second time was warranty), the third time (it only had first and reverse) he did some research and talked to a few places before picking one that knew the gearbox and rebuilt it stronger and to the tolerances required.
Pm me if you want their details.

nismine01
12th January 2015, 08:58 PM
Still haven't got the tranny going, but, 300ml of fluid was all it had in it, not 4,000ml.

Next problem, the electric windows don't work, pulled the door trims off and the little stick on plastic bits, 1.5" long, .5" high glued to the glass have broken.

Not a problem they just bolt on to the window slide mechanism, must cost all of 50cents each, Given that there will be a mark up, transport costs etc maybe a couple of dollars.

NOT ON YOUR NELLIE, THEY ARE NOT A SERVICE ITEM, YOU MUST BUY THE WHOLE DOOR GLASS ASSEMBLY. :censored:

How much for that says I??????????????? :confused:

OBSOLETE NOT REPLACED SAYS THEY, THE HOLDEN SPARE PARTS PEOPLE. :censored:

I then asked how Holden justified scrapping an eleven year old car because of the failure of a 50cent part.

Simple, it's over ten years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

"It's not clever" said the spare parts rep, "perhaps you could find one at a wreckers." :mad:

Just reminds me why I drive a Land Rover. :D

Freek

Mike