PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RRS Towing Mirrors

simmo1
11th January 2015, 08:14 PM
Hi Folks.

A query regarding the current model RRS and trying to fit towing mirrors to them. I am not sure how the mirror compares with the current Discovery.

My experience so far. I have purchased Milenco Falcon clamp on towing mirrors which according to the Milenco web site are recommended for the 2014 RRS and the current 2014 D4. I cannot get them to fit securely. After fitting them and tightening the clamps they just pull straight off while you try to adjust the mirror angle. I haven't tried them on the road yet as I guess that they will just shake straight off with all the bumps and jiggles of the roads that we have around here (SW Victoria).
I then purchased Brunsgaard Mirrors from Kel in Perth with the appropriate brackets. Kel was very helpful. These mirrors took a bit of fiddling about to work out how to fit up, but in the end they were quite secure. Secure to the point that it felt like they would pull the mirror housing off if they were giving a decent knock. So I felt pretty confident. Picked up a caravan in geelong and headed home to warrnambool. A stop after 15 minutes to check that everything was secure, including the mirrors, and off we go again. Shortly after exit one mirror. I do not know how but it's gone. A bit annoyed but such is life. Several stops along the way to check and double check the various bits and pieces of the rig including the remaining mirror, and lo and behold not far from home as I was looking out at the mirror it also fell off. Managed to stop this time and retrieved it. Bent a bit but not broken. It fitted back on and was secure enough to feel like you could tear the mirror housing off the car by giving it a good heave. ???:confused:

I am thinking of trying the camec suction ones next, and as they fall off just put on a new one, they are relatively cheap after all.

My query. Has anyone successfully used towing mirrors on the current RRS, and if so what did you use? I think that LR used to have towing mirrors on their accessories brochure but I can't seem to find it now.

Cheers, Simmo

ADMIRAL
12th January 2015, 12:20 AM
Hi Simmo,

There a few threads you can chase up to get more comparative data. As you will find, like tyres everyone has has a different experience, and as a result the opinions on the mirrors vary a lot.

I went for the Milenco, and lost a mirror a couple of hundred K's into a trip. The air blast from a W.A. roadtrain made short work of it. ( no idea if the 2014 RRS has a different mirror shape than the Disco ) In my experience, the mirrors don't have enough bite on the plastic edge of the Disco mirror. I have used the remaining Milenco sucessfully on the passengers side since, but I also used gaffer tape as a secondary fastener to ensure it did not come loose. Even coloured coded it did not look pretty, but it was effective. The Camec stick ons, are pretty much a waste of time other than an emergency mirror. They are too small and as they use the current mirror for attachment, you lose overall vision.

I am looking at the top to bottom of door type mounts now ( with a rachet type strap to tighten ) . Camec, Britax and a few others make similar mirror setups. I will have to have a look at the Brunsgaard and see how they compare after your experience. ( just had a decko ) They use a clamp onto the mirror frame. Off my list.

The strap type mount is next to try. They do look a little agricultural, but so far the flashy stuff has all failed me.

Interested to see what you end up with, and how they go.

Neil

Geedublya
13th January 2015, 04:00 AM
The Camec ones hang on well, I'm yet to have one come off. They are small though and do take up real estate on your mirrors and it took me a while to find a good compromise mounting position.