PDA

View Full Version : Jeep vs Iveco , sand

goingbush
1st March 2015, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMjmrSI11Y

that annoying beep is the front diff lock

scarry
1st March 2015, 02:44 PM
That sand is not soft at all,actually looks wet in the wheel tracks.

PhilipA
1st March 2015, 03:15 PM
Not wishing to be a picknitter but the video though interesting proves nothing.
The Jeep didn't look like it had the tyres down and of course with a few options like a lift , lockers etc would **** it in..( and still be about 20% of the cost of an Iveco)

The Iveco had dual lockers, although they don't help all that much in sand. It was the clearance that seemed to be the deciding factor.

I would bet a F100 2wd would get up there with good ground clearance and a Big V8 and maybe a rear locker.
I bet a Unimog would do it even easier.
Regards Philip A

NobbyTD5
1st March 2015, 04:28 PM
Agreed looks like a clearance difference
jeep hasn't got as good a clearance
and wheel ruts were deep enough to worry it but not the Iveco
looks a bit like an Advert...

goingbush
1st March 2015, 06:27 PM
The jeep also wasn't carrying 1000kg of water.

of course you can make any comparison look good for any vehicle just by the way its driven, tire pressures etc. its called hobbling.

and you already know how crappy a jeep is by this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFHu1PmHZY

but obviously if you swapped drivers and altered tire pressures accordingly the jeep would have looked good.

<snip>
I bet a Unimog would do it even easier.
at 3 times the cost :)

simmo
1st March 2015, 07:25 PM
The disco "walks" up the sand hill it has a lot of traction aids, looks like the jeep has two open diffs, not much of a comparison. It looked to me like both drivers approached a little too slow. I think the lockers make a bit of difference in sand because once one wheel starts to spin it tends to dig the car in and deprive the other wheel of torque. The disco demonstrates how effortless it would be with lockers. I might be wrong, but traction control is only a complicated/electronic way of doing what a locker will do.:)

KarlB
2nd March 2015, 08:03 AM
Much off what has been said is true (save the rubbish about vehicle pricing). It would be good to hear about the sand and other 'off-road' performance of the Iveco 4x4 compared to Jeep/Defender by someone who has driven both extensively. How about it goingbush?

Cheers
KarlB
:)

Pocket Rocket
2nd March 2015, 06:09 PM
From the point of view of being a novice off road I think driving ability and experience may be a factor as well.

460cixy
2nd March 2015, 07:31 PM
Only thing stoping the jeep was ground clearance

goingbush
3rd March 2015, 08:37 AM
I would not have bothered using front or rear diff locks on that sand hill, nor low range (you can hear the low range whine in the inside view in the video they were probably in 5th Low) I would have used 2nd gear - with high range 1/2 gears (you can split the low & high range)

Impressed with the Iveco Daily 4x4 in all situations Ive put it in, particularly broken up tracks with deep washaways requiring lots of wheel travel and clearance . I'm not comfortable driving on soft sand, especially on beaches, But I purposely put myself into a position where I was able to winch myself out if need be and came to a stop in Soft sand that would have left the Defender stranded, was amazed how well the Iveco was able to pull out from a standstill (centre diff lock only) and continue slowly where I would have needed a lot of momentum in the Defender. But sand driving is not my 'thing' where the Iveco is really shines is on corrugated outback roads and any gravel / dirt tracks / roads. But for some reason on sealed roads you feel every bump.

What wins me over with the Iveco is the fact that I can carry a 1500kg of water fuel and other stuff I need for 4x4 touring, and this weight is what makes the Daily 4x4 work , the suspension / wheel travel / ride all combine together to make it a great 4x4 , its not stressed at all.

Its does have problems tho, the brakes are horrible . ( tho the ABS disengages when you lock the CDL which is excellent) its a pig to stop , the rear drum are the same diameter as a Series II LWB, the front rotors are 12" dia solid NON VENTILATED and overheat easily. The transfer case overheats if you drive for more than an hour whilst towing , transfer case bushes flog out and 40K Iveco servicing schedule is a joke, these things need a service every 10K . Iveco admit it was never tested for Australian conditions, If they fix these things without putting the price up it will be a winner.