PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust Jack Trial

BSM
8th March 2015, 05:41 PM
Bought myself a new exhaust Jack for $85 on-line last week.

Tried it out today using my compressor to inflate it.

Works very well indeed. I took it as far as lifting one wheel. That was enough for the trial.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=91495&stc=1&d=1425800204

coolum
9th March 2015, 08:16 AM
How would it go using the exhaust, which should push far more air into it than a compressor?

could be worth a run?

eddy
9th March 2015, 10:38 AM
If using it on the exhaust you need to block off the opposite side tail pipe, some thing like one of those expanding plugs a plumber uses.Standing the bag on its end will give a bit more lift,bit wobbly though!

BSM
9th March 2015, 11:47 AM
How would it go using the exhaust, which should push far more air into it than a compressor?

could be worth a run?

I've got to get something to block the other exhaust pipe. I understand from this forum elsewhere that these 50mm expanding plugs (http://www.epools.com.au/plumbing-fittings-rubber-joiners-expasion-plugs-c-923_924/50mm-expanding-tapped-rubber-plug-p-3934.html)do the job.

Redback
9th March 2015, 02:39 PM
They work reasonably well on flat ground and sand, but they are useless in wet or muddy conditions, the bag just pops out from under the car as it is inflated and on really rocky ground, can puncture, on uneven ground, they tend to roll.

I sold mine, bloody car nearly fell on me a few times, that was enough for me.

Baz.

BSM
9th March 2015, 04:14 PM
They work reasonably well on flat ground and sand, but they are useless in wet or muddy conditions, the bag just pops out from under the car as it is inflated and on really rocky ground, can puncture, on uneven ground, they tend to roll.

I sold mine, bloody car nearly fell on me a few times, that was enough for me.

Baz.

What do you use now Baz?

Fatso
10th March 2015, 08:19 AM
Found these to be more universal in the bush than other jack systems , ok for most situation along with a jack stand and bbq plate.

Redback
10th March 2015, 11:26 AM
What do you use now Baz?

Two bottle jacks most of the time when away, if the daughter is with us, we use her Trolley jack, it's the best jack for any job I reckon, I'll borrow it if it is just me and the missus.

At home, trolley jack all the time.

Have also ditched our HiLift as well, dangerous bloody things they are:mad:

Baz.

BSM
10th March 2015, 11:56 AM
Two bottle jacks most of the time when away, if the daughter is with us, we use her Trolley jack, it's the best jack for any job I reckon, I'll borrow it if it is just me and the missus.

At home, trolley jack all the time.

Have also ditched our HiLift as well, dangerous bloody things they are:mad:

Baz.

Yes I carry two bottle jacks too. I got hung up recently where the track dropped away and it turned out I was stuck on a buried tree trunk. No way of getting the bottle jacks under the chassis where I was hitting (too low) and the front of the car was too high off the ground. The big exhaust jack would have been just the ticket under the front of the car at that time.

Redback
10th March 2015, 12:47 PM
Yes I carry two bottle jacks too. I got hung up recently where the track dropped away and it turned out I was stuck on a buried tree trunk. No way of getting the bottle jacks under the chassis where I was hitting (too low) and the front of the car was too high off the ground. The big exhaust jack would have been just the ticket under the front of the car at that time.

Yes they would be good for that situation, and other similar situations, I use the winch for that sort of thing now, but yes I agree, if you haven't got a winch, the airjack would be a good thing to carry, I wouldn't use it to change a tyre or work under the car though.

Baz.

VladTepes
10th March 2015, 12:50 PM
I had an expensive exhaust jack from a major brand, It failed (popped) on the beach and dropped my car quick smart. I certainly wasn't silly enough to be under it, but I was beside it and it took a bit of bark off as it slid down me....

I was unimpressed and numerous emails and phone calls to the company were not returned.

VladTepes
10th March 2015, 12:51 PM
Redback: I wouldn't use ANY jack as the sole means of support to work under a car.

4evershiva
19th May 2015, 07:40 AM
the bushranger exhaust jack is priced at $240 from ARB....is it the right price for a quality exhaust jack or an online $85 jack be able to do the same job.

Redback
19th May 2015, 11:30 AM
the bushranger exhaust jack is priced at $240 from ARB....is it the right price for a quality exhaust jack or an online $85 jack be able to do the same job.

I think I paid the same amount for my Bushranger exhaust way back in 2001, so the price hasn't changed, I got mine from Town & Country in Bexley Nth.

Baz.