PDA

View Full Version : Alarm system

jx2mad
24th March 2015, 09:24 AM
My daughter's Mazda van had to have its battery replaced a few days ago. In the process the alarm system activated automatically. However she does not have a remote to turn it off. It is an aftermarket unit which has been heavily integrated into the vehicle systems. Because of where it is mounted in the vehicle I cannot ascertain the make or model. At first the horn and blinkers activated when the motor was started but that has now stopped. The armed light is blinking on the dash. Now the radio has been deactivated and the engine seems slow to start. How can I deactivate this thing? I know it can be removed by an auto elec. But the cost is considerable. I purchased a generic programmable remote but it cannot "find" the alarm system.I don't know if it has a static frequency or a rolling frequency. Any suggestions for deactivating this device? Jim

Basil135
24th March 2015, 09:31 PM
If it is that deeply integrated into the cars wiring, then you will probably find that all the cables for the alarm are black, possibly with a small colour trace.

If that is the case, about your only option is to have it removed professionally.

To program the new remote, you would need to put it into "learning" mode. But, without the make and model, it would be difficult to know how to do this.

bee utey
24th March 2015, 10:01 PM
Most aftermarket alarms I have come across are cut into certain critical wires under the dash near the ignition switch, then the wiring that's cut and joined to the alarm is surrounded by lashings of black electrical tape. What I do to decommission them is to unravel all the tape, then identify which wires have been cut. Find the wire with the exact same colours on the other side and rejoin them, using a short section of the alarm wires if needed for length. Any alarm wires which are just joined to things like indicator and horn wires I simply cut off. It's not particularly difficult, you just need to be certain to rejoin the original wires in order. Once the alarm is deactivated you can fling it out.