PDA

View Full Version : spotted Iveco 4x4 on ebay

goingbush
18th April 2015, 07:21 PM
Iveco 4x4 Daily Motorhome Kills AN Isuzu 4x4 Serious OFF Road Vehicle in Southport, QLD | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Iveco-4x4-Daily-Motorhome-kills-an-Isuzu-4x4-serious-off-road-vehicle-/261855043879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cf7c6e127)

loanrangie
19th April 2015, 12:38 PM
129K :o, how much would you guestimate you have invested in yours GB ?

goingbush
20th April 2015, 10:01 AM
Mine cost $85.000 new
Bull bar, rims, tyres, headlight upgrade bought it up to about $92k

It cost me about $2000 in materials to build the rear subframe (with isolation mounting) and body - but its just a box.

Since then Ive spent another $1700 on an exhaust brake because the service brakes are abysmal and there is no , I mean none = zero , compression braking , ( but subsequent EGR blanking had bought back some natural engine braking effect , prior to this there was a free flow loop from exhaust to inlet manifolds even on zero throttle )

another $1500 on ECU upgrades (remapping and EGR / DPF delete)

and $5000 on a Eltrac Easy, (Dealer level - Nanocom equivalent ) a lot of money on a gadget but at least I don't have to go to a dealer for servicing ( saving me $1000 every 20,000km)

I also recently made a double rear wheel carrier, about $450 in materials.

Still, All up, a lot less than that Ebay unit.

Silenceisgolden
26th April 2015, 01:27 PM
Have to wonder why he is selling it at only 9,000 k's after all that work. Are the brakes really that bad? Is Iveco Australia really that bad? I am tempted by the Iveco, but they do seem to have a lot of negatives.

I know Landies do too, but I must have been the lucky one - no real problems after 40 years of driving Land Rovers. Oh except for a few little incidents with a P38..... but nothing that left me stranded.

goingbush
26th April 2015, 05:04 PM
I wonder why he's selling too - worth enquiring.

The iveco is reliable, I only know of one that has been flat topped due to a broken brake line. I'd much rather be remote in it than just about anything else . Its by far the most capable 4x4 Ive ever driven . Gobsmackingly good off road, and a pleasure on road too ( tho some liken the ride to a roller coaster )

The brakes are not good , Yet still Earthcruiser had them engineered and tested for their 6000kg GVM upgrade and they pass all the ADR tests . Part of the reason for my brake overheating and fade issues was attributed to zero engine braking, and the other part to the TravelTruck rims with no cooling holes, The new EVA rims are heaps better and the brakes can actually cool down now. This is only an issue on the East Coast mountain highways, no issue when 4x4ing in mountains or in the rest of the country.

Iveco Australia have been great, of the 65 or so on the Facebook group there have been a few transfer case issues early on - Iveco never baulked at any warranty claim , These trucks are like nothing ever seen here before and Im at odds with Iveco service technicians learning the ropes on my truck. The only warranty work on mine has been a diff seal. transfer case seal and a Throttle Valve. The TVA was not faulty, there is a software issue that indicates faulty TVA , problem with dealer education.

The main problem is that Iveco Australia did not road / proof test the Vehicle in Australia, the issues coming up would have been picked up and resolved, - instead the owners are doing the testing.

If the option was getting the truck in Euro Spec when I did, or waiting 2 years till all the bugs were sorted , I'd still take it when I did. - even despite the crap brakes.

Silenceisgolden
27th April 2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. The brakes issue did worry me a little, but if better ventilated wheels help then maybe it is not such a problem.
I do wonder about what you describe as "roller coaster ride" on bitumen. I did test drive an Iveco before deciding on the Oka, and the reason I dismissed the Iveco was that on a bitumen road that looked smooth, it bounced and jiggled like a Toyota on corrugations. I could only speculate how it rode on dirt roads but from what you say it seems that problem also is not real.
The one I drove had no weight at all on the back - I need to drive one fully laden to get a proper idea of how they will feel in the real world.
I love the Oka - it does everything I need perfectly but it is old. It has a huge number of kilometres under its belt and as such it is quite a high maintenance vehicle, not ideal for continual outback travelling. That is why I still look at the Iveco - certainly there is simply nothing else on the market.
Cheers, Paul

KarlB
27th April 2015, 10:04 AM
Admittedly I have had only a shortish drive, but I found the suspension seating too ?soft? for me initially and I bounced about. A quick ?pump? on the leaver firmed up the seat and the ride was then excellent.

Should have my beast before the end of May. It will certainly be a change from the Def 90!

Cheers
KarlB