PDA

View Full Version : Skoda and Yeti in particular

AnD3rew
25th April 2015, 03:48 PM
Hi all

Seriously considering buying SWMBO a Skoda Yeti. I know a few people here have Skodas and Yetis and I think most have been happy with them.

What are your thoughts on reliability for these cars?

WhiteD3
25th April 2015, 04:00 PM
What he said.

Almost bought one last year when the Golf was playing up but chickened out.

Seem like good value to me.

Hi all

Seriously considering buying SWMBO a Skoda Yeti. I know a few people here have Skodas and Yetis and I think most have been happy with them.

What are your thoughts on reliability for these cars?

clubagreenie
25th April 2015, 04:05 PM
Considering what they put the other models through as support cars for the tour de france and other cycling races (there's a mobile workshop incl panel beating and spray painting/signage following as well) and they're yet to have a major mechanical failure that put a car out of commission.

AnD3rew
25th April 2015, 04:18 PM
I love this place and overall I think it is exceptionally well moderate but just ocassionally the mods obsession with moving posts to where they want them annoys me a bit.

I put this in general chat because I wanted to get some quick feedback from a wide group. When you put them in these niche boards it significantly limits the audience.:twisted:

p38arover
25th April 2015, 05:23 PM
Were you buying tomorrow?

So anyone wanting answers should do what some members do and post everything in General Chat? :angel:

AnD3rew
25th April 2015, 06:48 PM
Were you buying tomorrow?

So anyone wanting answers should do what some members do and post everything in General Chat? :angel:

Yes I might actually buy tomorrow. And no you are being facetious but of course not if the question you are asking belongs in a forum where there is actually any activity, but moving it to a forum with a total of three topics in it is essentially condemning it to Siberia.

p38arover
25th April 2015, 06:56 PM
I don't look in any particular forum. I use the New Posts option which brings up all new posts in all sections. If more people did that, there wouldn't be an issue.

If we don't put posts in the correct areas, why bother having those areas?

BigJon
25th April 2015, 07:18 PM
I also look in new posts, hence I have seen this one.

If I was to buy anything VAG it would be a Skoda. Probably a Yeti at that. Although I am a bit disappointed in the new front end which makes it much more main stream and less quirky.

AnD3rew
25th April 2015, 07:25 PM
I don't look in any particular forum. I use the New Posts option which brings up all new posts in all sections. If more people did that, there wouldn't be an issue.

I get your point, but to be honest I think there are way too many sub forums here. I have never used the new posts option, didn't even know it existed.

DefenderSte
25th April 2015, 07:49 PM
I do like the Skoda Yeti my mate back in the UK has one for the family.

I had a drive in one at Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2012.... Very pleased with the drive and amount of space inside and quite robust too as demonstrated on Top Gear a few years ago......:D

Sitec
25th April 2015, 08:17 PM
I love this place and overall I think it is exceptionally well moderate but just ocassionally the mods obsession with moving posts to where they want them annoys me a bit.

I put this in general chat because I wanted to get some quick feedback from a wide group. When you put them in these niche boards it significantly limits the audience.:twisted:

I wouldn't stress Andrew, General Chat is so far down now a lot less people go in there. Re the Yetti, shares a lot of VW parts. I've never heard bad about them so would think it'd be a sound purchase. Cheers.

p38arover
26th April 2015, 06:41 AM
I get your point, but to be honest I think there are way too many sub forums here.

I agree. We Mods have already had many discussions about that. Most have come about because members have requested them.

That's also why I left a redirect to this thread in General Chat.

I have never used the new posts option, didn't even know it existed.
There you are, you've learned something useful and will see more of the forum.

One problem with having General Chat too high on the page is that some members would use it for everything.

clubagreenie
26th April 2015, 07:38 AM
One problem with having General Chat too high on the page is that some members use it for everything

Fixed.

pibby
26th April 2015, 07:53 AM
ok sorry to get back on topic. :)

got a diesel 4x4 yeti. bought it new. had it a year, done about 18k in it.

keep reading the korean stuff is the way to go but never driven one.

the yeti feels very solid, took it up to gammons ranges, loves the dirt roads. crap ground clearance. you can throw them around a bit if that's your thing. bit more road noise than i'd like but it's not a rollys royce.

pre-facelift model.

got a 5 year warranty on it.

Avion8
26th April 2015, 08:42 AM
Hi Andrew,

We went to look at a Yeti 18 months ago for the misses, as it got a real good rating in the UK. Came away from the dealer with a Peugeot 4007, just the 7 seats made the difference - which we've used once with the grandkids!

alittlebitconcerned
26th April 2015, 12:55 PM
After looking at the fuel figures weighed against price i couldnt see any point in getting the diesel so ended up with the two wheel drive petrol version.
Handles very well, very economical and very tardis like.
Best bang for the buck out there imho.

AnD3rew
26th April 2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks all.

Went to the dealers this morning to discover that the very attractively priced and nice looking well loaded car they had in Carsales and their own site was actually just bait. Car wasn't available (sorry sir just sold that one but I have another here for you toomlong at). Turns out that not only was the car not there, but also that car at that price doesn't exist with the options that were listed.

Just bloody dishonest lying :censored:

Gave them a piece of my mind and walked. So no new car this weekend.:twisted:

33chinacars
26th April 2015, 05:49 PM

New Post option is the only way to fly :D:D:wasntme:

Sitec
26th April 2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks all.

Went to the dealers this morning to discover that the very attractively priced and nice looking well loaded car they had in Carsales and their own site was actually just bait. Car wasn't available (sorry sir just sold that one but I have another here for you toomlong at). Turns out that not only was the car not there, but also that car at that price doesn't exist with the options that were listed.

Just bloody dishonest lying :censored:

Gave them a piece of my mind and walked. So no new car this weekend.:twisted:

That sounds pretty average! Have u tried looking up another dealer? Is a VW an option? Cheers!

AnD3rew
26th April 2015, 09:46 PM
Yes will probably go to another dealer next weekend when I have calmed down a bit. Also will look at other options.

solmanic
27th April 2015, 08:34 AM
That sounds pretty average! Have u tried looking up another dealer? Is a VW an option? Cheers!

As far as I understand, the Skoda Yeti is just a previous series Golf in a bigger dress. Even the dashboard is identical. It's on my possible buy list as the wife's run around if I can convince her that it's better than a Golf.

Sitec
27th April 2015, 05:44 PM
We run a Golf GTD, and its brilliant! You'd find a low mileage one for under $20000. They go like hell too!!! :D

joel0407
27th April 2015, 09:59 PM
2 years and over 55,00km. What do you want to know. Mine's been off road once and went further than a 100 series cruise. I have the "Off road" option, it's awesome. Bi-Xenons that turn as you steer, Upgraded stereo and Park Assist.

Not a singe problem. I had a couple design gripes but they were that minor, I can't remember what they were.

As for Skoda dealers in Australia, I doubt you can get much worse. It took me over 12 months to buy mine. I had wanted one before they were released in Australia and drove the first demo car in Canberra. I was at the dealership to drive it in the morning and had to come back later after the predeliverey service had been done.

As I wanted one very early, prices were rubbish. I was pretty anoyed that the Yeti was roughly 8,000 pounds cheaper than the VW Tiguan in the UK but here it was the same price. I mean if the import cost was a lump sum cost than the price differance should stay the same. If it was a percentage based cost, the difference in price should get bigger but no not here.

The Yeti actually has more going for it than the Tiguan for me and my family so it's worth it to me but the cost was anoying. Long story but I didn't end up buying it the first time around.

About 12 months on, I needed a new car so I decided it was going to be a Yeti. All I had to do was shop around for the rigth price. First off Canberra was the worst price. Then I couldn't find one with the options I wanted. I was willing to compromise and Sydney seemed to be offering the best price. The problem was I was willing to drop one or two of the options I wanted but they wanted to sell me vehicles with extra options that I didn't want.

In the end I gave up and made the deal to drive to Sydney, Pay a hefty deposit and order a vehicle with the options I wanted and wait the 3 months. Well this was all agreeded over the phone then when I drove to Sydney the same day, with the deposit, they changed their mind and gave me a rubbish story that Skoda Australia had too much stock and they couldn't order any more vehicles. Well I walked out, Jumped on every social media site I could and had my rant.

Within a few hours I was contacted by Kinghorne Skoda in Nowra. They asked what I wanted, they emailed me a quote, I drove down, paid the deposite and ordered the vehicle. Almost completely smoothly.

One thing I wanted was a differnet wheel style. The price was over $1700, This sounded extreme since the wheel was the same size and just a differnt style. I think the cost for the option in the UK was something like 20 pounds. Turned out the dealer didn't have the option to order the vehicle with those wheels. They had to order them through spare parts and then change them prior to delivery. Since I was ordering directly from the factory, a new vehicle, they added the request in the notes at the bottom of the order. To my surprise the vehicle turned up with the wheels I wanted. Thanks Kinghorne.

A few months before I ordered the vehicle the Sydney Motor show was on and Skoda had the Yeti on it's stand. The vehicle was only a month or so old in Australis. What anoyed me here was the promo people, guys and girls, knew nothing about the Yeti. I know I'm a bit of a fanatic and know the car inside out but things like the flexable rear seating was a huge selling point for me and these people didn't even know what it was. You can remove the centre, rear seat and then the side seats move toward the centre 1/4 of the way to make it much more spacious for 2 rear passengers.

Happy Days.

Shoogs
3rd May 2015, 08:58 PM
Traded a ML 500 in on a diesel 4x4 Yeti... Arguably apart from my Landrovers the best car we have ever had, 23,000kms never any issues average 6l per 100km around town less on the hwy plenty of room.

joel0407
4th May 2015, 08:51 AM
average 6l per 100km around town less on the hwy plenty of room.

Is that from the MFD or do you calculate yourself?

Mine is:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/05/1341.jpg (http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/yeti/2013/joel0407/174724)

That's my current average calculated on the Odometer and Litres filled at the servo. That's still not completely correct as the speedo is out by about 7%. The MFD will say about 0.5L better than that.

Oh is yours a Manual? And is it the new shape with stop/Start Tech?

Happy Days

Shoogs
4th May 2015, 08:20 PM
Off the MFD it's my wife's car after a D3 V8 and then a ML 500 you could say she has a lead foot, it's the auto DSG last model no stop start...

Sent from my C6603 using AULRO mobile app

joel0407
4th May 2015, 08:54 PM
Ge. Makes my wife look like a real lead foot then. She uses around 7 - 8 around town. It only goes down when I'm driving because I'm going to get parts for the LR and I have to drive for a while at 80km/h.

Ours does a little bit of towing of a very small trailer too.

Happy Days

Shoogs
11th May 2015, 08:30 PM
Maybe the heat in Darwin...? We did a run down to Bridgetown when it was 8 degrees averaged 2.9l per 100kms... Cruise etc... Very happy with it 25,000kms now never any issues.

BigJon
12th May 2015, 08:46 AM
. That's still not completely correct as the speedo is out by about 7%.

The speedo might be inaccurate, but is the odometer?

joel0407
12th May 2015, 02:45 PM
The speedo might be inaccurate, but is the odometer?

I have checked but cant remember after reading how complicated VW make it. There are 8 different options (?) for pulse inputs and while it's modifiable, you can only choose those options which might be too high or too low. And yes there is something about what the computer sees and what the speedo shows.

Happy Days.