PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RRS in Simpson Desert

discojools
1st June 2015, 03:17 PM
Here's a pic of a friend's RRS on the very remote Hay River Track in the Simpson Desert. It did the 7500km trip easily. Tyres are Pirrelli Scorpion ATRs. No problems there.

nat_89
1st June 2015, 07:30 PM
HAHA love it good to see the RRS getting a good work out!!

p38arover
1st June 2015, 08:35 PM
Obviously Photoshopped. Everyone knows Rangies can't go out of the city and Land Cruisers don't break down.

Bytemrk
1st June 2015, 08:43 PM
Out of interest Jools,

Any idea what rim size he is running?

discojools
1st June 2015, 08:51 PM
20" rims and 275/55/20 Scorpion ATRs. Landcruiser didn't break down but had 2 punctures with his butch Mickey Thomson All Terrains! He also had to open the bonnet once, battery came loose!

Bytemrk
1st June 2015, 08:55 PM
As Nat said, it's great to see one out being used!

They are far more capable than most would suspect.....

Geedublya
2nd June 2015, 05:21 AM
So bloody expensive for one with low range though.

RR44TDV8
3rd June 2015, 08:56 AM
20" rims and 275/55/20 Scorpion ATRs. Landcruiser didn't break down but had 2 punctures with his butch Mickey Thomson All Terrains! He also had to open the bonnet once, battery came loose!

Not used off road yet but I am loving my 275/55R20 Scorpion ATR's on my FFRR

dukemasterpro
3rd June 2015, 07:45 PM
Doing it in style[emoji41]Shame about all that sand and dust inside the cabin forever onwards [emoji40].

Lindisfarne
20th July 2015, 04:44 PM
Good to see a RRS getting out there, love to get one out there myself. I presume a diesel, V6 or V8? How did he carry sufficient fuel, a fridge and general camping gear? Any other mods apart from tyres or was it basically stock? I'm just back from the Canning, did the Hay River a few years back and a number of other trips, all in my set up for touring Pajero. It's pretty tired now, or at least I'm tired of it! Time for a new toy and a RRS may well be it.

rar110
20th July 2015, 06:48 PM
Good to see a RRS getting out there, love to get one out there myself. I presume a diesel, V6 or V8? How did he carry sufficient fuel, a fridge and general camping gear? Any other mods apart from tyres or was it basically stock? I'm just back from the Canning, did the Hay River a few years back and a number of other trips, all in my set up for touring Pajero. It's pretty tired now, or at least I'm tired of it! Time for a new toy and a RRS may well be it.

The Paj is good value for money. I took a new one for a drive about a year ago. However, it just didn't appeal to me. You get a bit spoilt driving a Land Rover. So, taking a RRS for a drive could be an expensive decision. It might be hard to go back. 😄

discojools
22nd July 2015, 11:44 AM
Hi Lindisfarne,
RRS was SDV6 SE. Only mods were a small roof rack mounted on cross bars, a nice fridge slide for 47ltr ARB fridge and a frame next to it to hold 4 jerries of fuel and 2 jerries of water. Fridge slide and frame was made by Baz 0418 173 325 down here in Dromana.. It worked really well. Also had a UHF fitted with remote head. Ariel was fitted on little nudge bar where the driving lights are. Apart from this and tyres car was standard. Having said that it would be touch and go whether you could fit enough gear, food and cooking stuff for two people into the car for a long trip. Difficult to remove rear seats and they don't go flat. With a larger roof rack would be possible.

Cheers

Jools.

Lindisfarne
22nd July 2015, 03:47 PM
Hi Jools, thanks for the reply. Space to carry enough gear for two on a long trip worries me, too. I had the back seats out of my Pajero for the Canning with jerries across there. I don't like loading too much on a roof rack. Nice to know there is a good fridge option. I like the idea of the RRS and reckon the V8 diesel would be great but I just have nagging doubts as to enough space for a long trip. I keep telling myself to wait for the new Disco to see what it's like when it comes out. I'll try and be patient. Either that or go the whole hog and get a RRV!

discojools
22nd July 2015, 04:59 PM
Fair enough.. By the way Lindisfarne were a really good band...worked with them once a long time ago!

Tried an SDV8 after buying my SDV6.. didn't think there was much difference and not much of a V8 note either.. Was a bit disappointed. 2015 SDV6 has 235kw and 700nm so not much less than the V8 and much more economical!