PDA

View Full Version : Skinful Mystery Tour Jul15

jbowler
11th July 2015, 08:17 PM
Had a great day driving and exploring the Toonumbar and Richmond Range State Forests and National Parks. Thanks to Guy for leading and Stuart for helping with the Navigation and trip suggestions.

- Met at Beaudesert (expect for Tim who decided to take an interesting route via Toowoomba :)).
- Continued on the Lions road to border loop lookout where we waited for Tim to catch up
- Continued driving down Lion rd to Summerland way where he heading back north and continued onto Cox Road.
- From here we explored Toonumbar State Forest and National Park, Iron Port Creek Camp site and Toonumbar Dam. Great drives through this area and we stopped to explore the various camp sites and look outs
- As we were in the area, we decided to forge on after this and continued through the Richmond Range NationalPark and drove along the Cambridge Plateau.
- Finished up down at the Bruxner highway where we split up and made our way back to GC and Bris Vegas

A great day and it really shows me how much of our own National Parks that I know very little about.

Attached some photos.

Cheers

Jeffrey

jbowler
11th July 2015, 08:25 PM
Attached a few more photos

jbowler
11th July 2015, 08:29 PM
We had lunch down at Iron Port Creek Campsite where I was introduced to a new camping lunch sensation :)
- Cheerios ket warm in thermos of water
- Carrots; and
- Jalsberg Cheese

Makes me wonder what other dead animal product and you keep warm in a thermos of water for an instant camp site lunch :)

praxis
11th July 2015, 08:30 PM
It was a great day! Some awesome country in the Ranges and magic (mostly free) camping sites. First time I have seen the Border loop. And, yes Guy, the red stuff probably was Blue Green Algae. See here:
What are algae / filamentous algae / green algae / diatoms / euglenoids / blue-green algae /identifying algae (http://www.algae.info/Algaecomplete/tabid/1131/Default.aspx#bgreen)
:angel:

praxis
11th July 2015, 08:32 PM
We had lunch down at Iron Port Creek Campsite where I was introduced to a new camping lunch sensation :)
- Cheerios ket warm in thermos of water
- Carrots; and
- Jalsberg Cheese

Makes me wonder what other dead animal product and you keep warm in a thermos of water for an instant camp site lunch :)
Must try that - especially with sultanas!:)

Ralph1Malph
13th July 2015, 09:13 PM
Seems we missed another good trip!
Maybe next time:)

Ralph

GuyG
28th July 2015, 12:22 AM
It was a kinda funny start to the day, the phone rings when I'm passing through Jimboomba, Dave wanted to know where everyone was he thought we were leaving at 8.30, then just as we're about to leave he asks about where we'll be stopping for lunch for him to buy something - umm no sorry we'll be in a National Park, hopefully at the Dam but unknown whether they have food available. For future reference - they don't. In the middle of all this Timj calls, I was actually surprised that I had coverage in Beaudesert, he's running late and had just left Brisbane. Well they actually left Brisbane in time to get to the meet point, however due to the fog, they got confused after filling up and jumped on the wrong highway and headed for Warwick. They caught up to us at the Border Loop Lookout where we were trying to explain to Dave that the map showing the mountains and the loop location were actually correct.

I don't need to add much in the way of a report as its very well covered already. We did a recce prior to get an idea of the area which was a very good idea as that was when we found out about the entry point into the forest. As we all had the entire day/early evening free we decided to continue down the Cambridge Plateau through the Richmond Range State Forest and exited onto the Bruxner Highway. From here those from the coast headed east, while TimJ and I headed west then up the Clarence Way, stopping at the Woodenbong Pub for pizza, before heading back to Brisbane.

GuyG
28th July 2015, 01:19 AM
There are lots of great camping spots, most with facilities and little huts containing fire places. I think there are probably more areas and side tracks to explore but really need a few days to do this, not all in one day. I did 450km.