PDA

View Full Version : Finding my old first Landrover

Gordie
29th July 2015, 05:05 PM
Wondering if anyone in NZ has come across my first ever vehicle, which was a SII 109 ex NZ Army Landrover. Rego was EU344* I can't make out the last figure in the photos I have.....as I had put a bull bar on her and spotlights which obscured it. I am trying to attach a photo, but don't know if I am going to be successful.

I went to the army disposal auctions in the 80's with my father, in the old woolstores at Gracefields, Petone. Back then you could go to an auction and get a fair go without people bidding online from all over the country! We hadn't been for a test drive or anything, out of about 6 Landys, she was the cheapest at about $2500k. And she had a brand new pvc canopy, unlike the others with the old canvas ones.

After we bought her, they jump started her and when we tried to move her, she wouldn't go into gear. Luckily for us greenhorns, Dad's mechanic mate was there, and he jumped in, forced her into gear, took off and drove around the yard until there was a loud bang, and the clutch freed up, good as gold after that! Probably why we got her cheap.

Anyway, kept her for a couple of years, added LPG and a big bull bar. Young fella testosterone set in and I sold her to get a Holden ute. I sold her to a NZ Rail bus driver in Waikanae by the name of Dennis.

Would be interesting to know if the old girl is still around.

Gordie
29th July 2015, 05:23 PM
Wondering if anyone in NZ has come across my first ever vehicle, which was a SII 109 ex NZ Army Landrover. Rego was EU344* I can't make out the last figure in the photos I have.....as I had put a bull bar on her and spotlights which obscured it. I am trying to attach a photo, but don't know if I am going to be successful.

I went to the army disposal auctions in the 80's with my father, in the old woolstores at Gracefields, Petone. Back then you could go to an auction and get a fair go without people bidding online from all over the country! We hadn't been for a test drive or anything, out of about 6 Landys, she was the cheapest at about $2500k. And she had a brand new pvc canopy, unlike the others with the old canvas ones.

After we bought her, they jump started her and when we tried to move her, she wouldn't go into gear. Luckily for us greenhorns, Dad's mechanic mate was there, and he jumped in, forced her into gear, took off and drove around the yard until there was a loud bang, and the clutch freed up, good as gold after that! Probably why we got her cheap.

Anyway, kept her for a couple of years, added LPG and a big bull bar. Young fella testosterone set in and I sold her to get a Holden ute. I sold her to a NZ Rail bus driver in Waikanae by the name of Dennis.

Would be interesting to know if the old girl is still around.
PS, not sure where she came from within the army, I wasn't an ex army enthusiast, just wanted a landrover! I was told that she was ex FFR, due to the 24v system, but she didn't have any lockers, didn't seem to have any fittings for radios, and had 3 seats in the front.